T Nation

Eating the Same Meal Plan Everyday

Basically i really want to improve my gains and i figured a good way to do this is to make sure my diet is spot on.

As i am one of the least organised people around i thought it would be easier to calculate my nutritional needs for one day, then work out a daily meal plan which meets my nutritional needs perfectly and then eat the same meals at the same time everyday for around a month before repeating the process with diffeent food choices. To clarify i will be eating the same menu everyday.

I just made this post to find out people opinons on this type of plan. Has anyone done this themselves? was it successful? Are there any negatives about eating in this manner?

Appreciate your time!

From a health aspect it’s best to get a wide variety of foods.

However, I find that from a BBing perspective, doing what you say is by far easier. You just kind of go on auto pilot.

Granted, a decent daily diet would contain probably a wider variety of good foods than most people eat on a normal basis
eggs, beef, dairy, fruits, veggies, etc

I have often thought about this too.

I generally eat the same things, but prepare them in different ways and with different things thrown in all the time. I feel like I burn myself out on foods really fast.

As long as what you’re eating is clean and timed properly you’re going to be good.

The good protein sources are kind of narrow. The main thing to switch up all the time is veggies and fruits. The way I started to rotate veggies and fruits is to go to the famer’s market and get what they have (ie: what is in season). Never forget that cavemen were some big strong sons of bitches and they ate what they found.

tl;dr - Eat like a caveman and all will be well.

[quote]Sklander wrote:
Never forget that cavemen were some big strong sons of bitches and they ate what they found.

tl;dr - Eat like a caveman and all will be well. [/quote]

that’s funny, i can’t recall having ever seen a caveman, have you?

I always wonder about this. It’s only relatively recently that humans have had access to such a wide variety of foods. As long as the proper vitamins and such are in there, why can’t we eat the same stuff all the time? Please don’t say food allergy or I might have to vomit a little.

[quote]JMoUCF87 wrote:
Sklander wrote:
Never forget that cavemen were some big strong sons of bitches and they ate what they found.

tl;dr - Eat like a caveman and all will be well.

that’s funny, i can’t recall having ever seen a caveman, have you?[/quote]

I see them on TV all the time. Something about car insurance.

They don’t look that swole to me…

A monodiet is one of the best ways to ascertain your intake and get your bearings. And when you do it for a week or so, you’ll learn to make some adjustments… enough to make it rock. Just come up with a balanced initial template and you’re good to go, man.

[quote]Vicomte wrote:
I always wonder about this. It’s only relatively recently that humans have had access to such a wide variety of foods. As long as the proper vitamins and such are in there, why can’t we eat the same stuff all the time? Please don’t say food allergy or I might have to vomit a little.[/quote]

Just because we didn’t evolve with a variety of food doesn’t mean a monodiet is the best way to go.

Think about Rev-Z for a moment.

[quote]HoratioSandoval wrote:
Vicomte wrote:
I always wonder about this. It’s only relatively recently that humans have had access to such a wide variety of foods. As long as the proper vitamins and such are in there, why can’t we eat the same stuff all the time? Please don’t say food allergy or I might have to vomit a little.

Just because we didn’t evolve with a variety of food doesn’t mean a monodiet is the best way to go.

Think about Rev-Z for a moment.[/quote]

But what’s the problem with it exactly? Will I get better gains/be healthier if I include all sorts of exotic animal fleshes instead of eating chicken and beef all the time?

Same meal plan every day but mix it up every week. You’ll be fine providing you have a fairly good variety in there.

I recently found a nice frozen veg mix - brocolli, cauliflower, peas and carrots - I use this pretty much every day! :smiley:

From a physiological standpoint you’ll be fine so long as it’s balanced out well… good fats, protein high, minimal processed foods, and proper nutrient intake. Your body doesn’t care and can’t tell where you get your nutrients, it just knows what to do with them.

As Majin said, it’s one of the best ways to ascertain your caloric goals and adjust accordingly.


Your tongue however might lash out of your mouth and slap you silly if you don’t switch it up a bit… but that’s probably the “only” realistic downside.

I’ve also wondered about this idea as well. It would be so much easier not having to but all sorts of different stuff, plan a menu, prepare, etc. Just the same stuff, or maybe just a very few options each meal. It would be interesting to see a study on this.

I agree with mpenix, the monotony might be the only significant drawback.

Some interesting points but i guess the best thing to do is just do it.

So i am going to start this when i get home at some point next week and i will let you all know how i feel on it- through a log if i get interest?

Oh and in regards to people saying it will be boring that really doesnt matter, thankfully i have plenty of drive to pull through that. Its only fuel. Also the gains will be more than enough motivation!!!

Thanks guys.

You are going to have some cheat meals thrown in during the month right? Otherwise I don’t see how it could work practically.

YOU DONT EAT FOR FUN, YOU EAT FOR RESULTS.

do it.

[quote]sam_sneed wrote:
You are going to have some cheat meals thrown in during the month right? Otherwise I don’t see how it could work practically. [/quote]

To be honest i don’t really believe in cheat meals. For example i find when you decide to give up a food i find after a short period you don’t miss what you don’t have.

So, the closest i will get to a ‘cheat meal’ will be a slight change of veg.

What you can do tough is, while making your meal plan, give yourself different options

Like… 50g of almonds or 3 scoop natural pb

Chicken or fish

and on and on and on

[quote]sam_sneed wrote:
You are going to have some cheat meals thrown in during the month right? Otherwise I don’t see how it could work practically. [/quote]

My “cheat meals” over the last 10+ weeks have been:

  1. A cup of chicken stock (I had a craving for chicken noodle soup)
  2. A grilled chicken breast with a mixed salad (family outing)
  3. A bowl of some pork based hotpot made by the chinese students in my flat.

Thats IT.

I don’t believe in “cheat meals”… especialy planned ones!

I think its a mindset you have to escape from. Just make your normal food more interesting.

Today I’ve been using up some low carb wraps that go out of date pretty soon… Oh the fun I’ve had with those today! And its all fitted within my nutritional plan quite easily!

How could a grilled chicken breast with salad possibly be a cheat meal?

[quote]-ironman- wrote:

To be honest i don’t really believe in cheat meals. For example i find when you decide to give up a food i find after a short period you don’t miss what you don’t have.

So, the closest i will get to a ‘cheat meal’ will be a slight change of veg.[/quote]

OK, so what I’m wondering is when you go on this strict diet you don’t ever plan on going out to dinner with your girlfriend or wife or whatever for an entire month or 3? This is what I mean by practical. I’m just 4 months in and am very new to this stuff so I’m just trying to understand the mindset better.