Eating the Egg Yolk Too?

I have read that about half of the protein in an egg is in the yolk (the other half in the white obviously)… So are there any benefits to eating the yolk or should I stick to egg whites? From searching I could find stuff defending eating yolks but nothing supporting it.

Basically, would I be missing out on anything by just eating egg whites opposed to the whole egg?

Hard boiled is the most convenient way but I just like the whites that way and not the yolk.

Thanks

Yes, your right about the egg yolks. But, it is O.K. to eat the egg yolks. Yolks are high in cholesterol but according to the American Heart Association you can eat 4 egg yolks a week, and your lipid panel or cholesterol levels will be OK. This way you can get more protein if you consume entire eggs in moderation.

I would say eat yolks definately, i read somewhere that 90% of the nutrition (vitamins and minerals) is in the yolk.

Here we are, check this out:

Also, all the flavour is in the yolks, ever had an egg white omelette? tastes like crap in my opinion compared to when egg yolks are in the mix.

I am bulking now so i have yolks all the time nearly. When i was cutting i had 1 yolk and 3 whites. Also eating yolks is more value for money, instead of throwing them away.

Everybody has their preferences but don’t be afraid of egg yolks. I eat 2-3 a day and my cholesterol is fine.

In fact if you search it on Tnation, I’m pretty sure there is an article about the yolks. Something about how the saturated fat in eggs doesn’t affect cholesterol the way people think.

All the same if you just like egg whites, eat the whites.

oh also i aint too sure about the american heart association, but i’ve heard it mentioned that 4 yolks a week was enough. But i aint really paying much attention to that as i just had a lovely 4 egg (4 yolks) omelette earlier. Plus i’m poor so i aint likely to throw protein away.

I have read that the cholesterol in eggs is not the same as in your body, so there is no direct relationship. My brother eats up to 6 whole eggs a day and he just recently lost 5 more pounds to 165lbs (low to moderate carb diet). He used to be McFatty Jr. at 215lbs of lard, while I used to be the McFatty Sr. with 247lbs double lard.

Good info everyone ty… is there a best time of day to eat them? I was thinking of eating eggs with breakfast, with my oatmeal.

There is so much FAIL in this thread (except barachiel).

Glad you searched. Sounds like you didn’t do a very good job, though. Poliquin and Bowden have lauded the benefits of the yolk along with Berardi and I think Lowery, too. And those are just the guys on this site.

The yolk is good. Forget whatever the American Heart Association says. According to them, we should all be eating 12 servings of bread each day, 2 pieces of meat, and hardly any fat. The yolk has most of the nutrients whereas the white is primarily just protein. Eat your yolks.

http://www.jonnybowden.com/2008/03/more-good-news-on-eggs.html

Listen to your mother and stop wasting food!

it really confuses me when people say they only eat the egg white. it makes no sense. the yolk pretty much makes up 75% of the egg. who the hell thought it would be a good idea to throw away 75% of the egg? the yolk tastes good, its good for you, and you SHOULD eat the fuckin yolk.

by the way, i eat 6 whole eggs every morning and have yet to suffer a heart attack. maybe its just luck?

[quote]TxCASH wrote:
it really confuses me when people say they only eat the egg white. it makes no sense. the yolk pretty much makes up 75% of the egg. who the hell thought it would be a good idea to throw away 75% of the egg? the yolk tastes good, its good for you, and you SHOULD eat the fuckin yolk.

by the way, i eat 6 whole eggs every morning and have yet to suffer a heart attack. maybe its just luck?[/quote]

Shit. I probably go through at the VERY least 36 whole eggs a week. It’s the strangest thing - my numbers are FAR better than they were before I ever ate eggs.

Naw, just kidding. I had a triple-bypass all because of whole eggs a month ago.

[quote]Trenchant wrote:
There is so much FAIL in this thread (except barachiel).[/quote]

True

[quote]SSC wrote:
Shit. I probably go through at the VERY least 36 whole eggs a week. It’s the strangest thing - my numbers are FAR better than they were before I ever ate eggs.[/quote]

same here, both on total whole eggs consumed and favorable lipid profile as a consequence

[quote]TxCASH wrote:
[/quote]

You can get jugs of egg whites you know. But yeah… Yolks are good.

Seems to me that I remember Berardi’s study, which indicated that the nutrients in the yolk were dang near the perfect match for breaking down the proteins in the egg white. In other words, a basically perfect package when eaten as a whole egg.

But I dunno, I remember reading it & it made perfect sense & so I eat the whole egg. Seems like they pointed out that the whole cholesterol study on eggs was performed by Kellogg’s, too. But again, I dunno. I read a lot of nutrition articles.

I eat a dozen a day when I’m at my house…I’m not worried about it at all.

Poliquin says egg whites are for dorks.

FWIW, I eat 4-6 a day.

[quote]hawaiilifterMike wrote:
I have read that the cholesterol in eggs is not the same as in your body, so there is no direct relationship. My brother eats up to 6 whole eggs a day and he just recently lost 5 more pounds to 165lbs (low to moderate carb diet). He used to be McFatty Jr. at 215lbs of lard, while I used to be the McFatty Sr. with 247lbs double lard.[/quote]

a 175lb guy has about 35g of cholesterol in his body. it’s essential for cell structure and the steroid horomones. yea, testosterone.

the liver pumps out 1000mg a day; adjusting for dietary intake (in most people). so an egg has 200mg and is no problem.

the problem for people is LDL cholesterol and that get’s pumped by saturated fats and laziness. genetics can also play a role so those who deal with it have to watch their diet.

for the rest of us, the egg is one of those perfect foods. 7g of complete protein with b vitamins and it’s one of the few food sources with vit. d. read about vitamin d and you’ll start gobbling down eggs.