T Nation

Eating Shocker

I logged how much I was eating the other day, and was completely shocked… it seems for years I’ve been completely chronically undereating. And I’m not skinny. I do think, however, that I’m built for hibernation. I’m trying to bring my diet more in line with JB’s seven habits. Is this a common thing with beginners, this complete-food-shock?

This was a non-beer day. Although there will be few beer days for the next couple of months, being exam months.

The thing is, I have shit-all money, being a student, and the college I’m at kind of encourages you to eat at the Buttery (canteen). We call this the Ugly College’s Greasy Teat. So that gives you an idea of the quality of the food. Apart from this, we have a hob and a microwave.

Does anyone have recommendations of cheap and easily accessible good foods for weight training? (Low-Carb Grow! is on order, as soon as I find a fax)

Ta…

searh articles for “Steve Berardi”

J

Old-Fashioned (large grain) oatmeal. Cottage Cheese
Lean hamburger
Bagged/frozen veggies
Eggs

Try grilling some hamburger and mix it up with scrabled eggs. Mix in some bagged/frozen veggies too.

I mix flavored, low-fat yogurt with equal amounts of cottage cheese.

Put Grow! in your oatmeal (after cooking it)

There’s always Chanko… mix whole grain rice, niblet corn and tuna. Shake on some Asian-type sauce and eat. TC wrote an article on this Chanko quite a while back.

Thanks guys. I got some of the stuff on the last shop (oatmeal 40p for 500g at the local indian supermarket) and will continue…

If you can stomach it, try eating canned mackerel and/or sardines. They have the Omega 3 oils, and the mackerel is less than 1 cent/gram of protein.

I buy the cheapest Muesli in bulk, about 5 kilos a time.

I also grill +/- 25 turkeys and spice them with barbecue spices when I leave home every sunday, and I take those to my room in my university’s city, and eat those together with mixed nuts as a snack between meals.

It’s cheap and fast.

Rice can easily be bought in cheaply in bulk(even dog rice!it’s got pieces of vegetable and meat in between to boot!)

Eggs can be used for a thousand varieties … I make a lot of omelets with ham, or beef(yes beef can be expensive … and I realise college cafetaria beef is usually overcooked trash … but better to spend it on that than on beer)with eggs.

Beef and eggs is my favourite meal, actually.

Also, prepare vegetables when you leave home or take one day a week aside.
I prefer to do it all in one day instead of cleaning and chopping them up every day.

I buy the cheapest price-quality stuff, I eat 9 times a day, I’m a full-time student, I don’t drink(exception : a glass of wine once a week)and yes I do have a very active social life and sleep 8 and a half hours a night …
It can all be done.

Oh yeah, and don’t watch tv and play video games.
It gives you about 3 hours a day extra.

actually look for articles by “John Berardi” and not “steve”…JB’s articles are great when it comes to nutrition…everything from meal timing to meal combinations…after looking through his things on T-Nation, check out his website as well

No I think the Steve Berardi suggestion was correct. He has two articles that would be of great help,( sorry dont have the link for you, look under Authors) School Days 1&2 about training and diet while in college, dorms, eating halls, etc… Would help A LOT IMO.

JB’s stuff would also be a fine read as well as LL.

Read up, and have FUN

Ltr,
Phill

Thanks guys. Great advice. College just had a gym installed (the University gym is a 20 minute bike ride away, and the buses in this town are evil), so it’s convenient and free at the moment.

I dread eating at the University Library tea room, because everything is fried. Worse than the canteen. So now I will go looking for less evil there…

I ate a proper amount of food today, 5 meals, and I am full. Full and happy.

[quote]got_beer? wrote:
If you can stomach it, try eating canned mackerel and/or sardines. They have the Omega 3 oils, and the mackerel is less than 1 cent/gram of protein.

[/quote]

You are a braver man than I. I’ve only seen mackerel used as bait, never actually consumed by a human. Nevermind straight from the can…

[quote]OllyB wrote:
I logged how much I was eating the other day, and was completely shocked… it seems for years I’ve been completely chronically undereating. And I’m not skinny. I do think, however, that I’m built for hibernation. I’m trying to bring my diet more in line with JB’s seven habits. Is this a common thing with beginners, this complete-food-shock?

[/quote]

In my experience definitely. It took me over a year to finally start consuming the amount of food I should, and even still I have to work at it. I have a few friends who weight train, yet experience no gains in muscle. I am absolutely positive the reason is they don’t eat enough. They claim they eat a lot, but that’s because there’s a distorted perception of what a lot of food really is.

I’ve used it for bait too, but its not that bad with a little hot sauce and mayonaise…

hot sauce can make anything better

I was actually quite surprised – 3 weeks ago I got back into lifting and dramatically changed my diet. Just yesterday, I started evaluating my protein intake to make sure I was on the right track (I’ve lost 3 pounds so far and I want to gain – long story, I think it’s water).

What I found was that I’m eating close to 190 grams of protein a day (I weigh 188) so I’m happy with that. I could stuff down more, but I’m going to see how this goes.

Basically, I get a lot of protein from lunch meat – turkey is LOADED with it. Also, no matter what you eat for dinner, throw in some beans or milk and some good old fashoined wheat bread. A bagel at brugers has 12 grams of protein! Tuna is cheap and effective. Throw cottage cheese in your lunch. Start the day off with some eggs.

All that stuff is cheap and can be pretty much bought in bulk at cheap prices (probably cheaper than what you’re paying now for the crap you’re puting into your body). Good luck.

sweet potatoes–healthy, cheap, and freakin delicious