Eating Roadkill (Deer)?

Yes, this is a serious post. There is quite a bit of roadkill in my area as there is a lot of deer where I live. Is it edible? The bucks weight about 100-200 lbs or so. Is there a guide on the internet on how to skin and cut them up.

I can’t believe I’m asking this.

If it is fresh, it may be possible. Check with the Fish and Game in your area to find out the requirements. You probably will have to have it inspected by a warden to prove that you did not poach it. Plenty of resources on the net on how to dress them etc. or you can take it to a processor and have it done right for under $100.

I can see you dont wanna waste that protein and i know that shits expensive but man its road kill lol.

[quote]coloradosteve wrote:
Yes, this is a serious post. There is quite a bit of roadkill in my area as there is a lot of deer where I live. Is it edible? The bucks weight about 100-200 lbs or so. Is there a guide on the internet on how to skin and cut them up.

I can’t believe I’m asking this. [/quote]

I can’t believe I’m asking this. [/quote]

Neither can I.

if you don’t know how to butcher an animal properly it can be a gong show (or if you drink like my uncles - hey we walked through the gate, shot. we opened the pen, shot. we killed the pig - after 15 minutes of chasing it in circles in the pen, shot).

theoretically it could be ok if the guts have not spilled out, ie, the innards are still within the cavity and the cavity has not been punctured. if there is any gashes though, the carcass will be contaminated.

you would be better off hunting or getting the meat from someone who hunts.

dont. It is ok if you hit it that way u know its fresh. but u have no idea how long its been sittin out there conracting dieseses. Iv heard some horror stories about this. Get yourself a gun and go take care of buisness and ask a friend how to clean it

Well, if it’s still kinda fresh, Bear says it’s okay.

He even keeps some in his pocket to eat a couple hours later, and he thinks it’s already “hours” old when he gets to it.

Oh yea, it’s not even cooked either.

^^+1
I have done it before. My aunt smacked a deer killing it.
Good meat, good kill.

:slight_smile:

They are going to get suspicious if you keep running into deer!

I used to hunt with this crazy guy (in a funny way) Sometimes he’d hunt deer with his truck. The meats more tender on the side thats hit. Bon appetit!

[quote]Ramo wrote:
coloradosteve wrote:

Neither can I.
[/quote]

What is weirder was, I started to drool when I saw the dead deer.

[quote]Hagar wrote:
I used to hunt with this crazy guy (in a funny way) Sometimes he’d hunt deer with his truck. The meats more tender on the side thats hit. Bon appetit! [/quote]

Fricken awesome, never even thought about the tenderizing!

[quote]vroom wrote:
They are going to get suspicious if you keep running into deer![/quote]

well, if the huge spikes I welded onto the front bumper didn’t arouse suspicion…:slight_smile:

It is illegal in some states, check your local laws.

In Wisconsin and Illinois the deer population is experiencing something I think is called Chronic Wasting Disorder which is supposed to be the deer version of Mad Cow Disease. I wouldn’t touch any venison anywhere because of this fact. Whether or not it’s in Colorado I have no idea, but it’s worth looking into and perhaps asking some hunters.

If it does not have rigor mortis, it’s still good.

I think.

When I was growing up, if we found roadkill deer, we’d give it to the dogs and cats. The cats would eat until their skin was tight. It was quite an amazing bulk.

Ramo wrote:
coloradosteve wrote:

Neither can I.

What is weirder was, I started to drool when I saw the dead deer.
[/quote]

Its good to be at the top of the food chain

make sure it’s a fresh kill. then call the game warden…
usually they will issue a tag on the spot and you can take it home…

many guys swear by aged meat…
I’m not one of them… i prefer getting them into the freezer as soon as possible (not road kill, i’m a hunter)
but i know of people taking home a fresh road kill… no problem…

super lean protein… good shit if you know how to cook it…

[quote]Hagar wrote:
I used to hunt with this crazy guy (in a funny way) Sometimes he’d hunt deer with his truck. The meats more tender on the side thats hit. Bon appetit! [/quote]

I guess it wasn’t a Dodge.

Boooooooooooo hissssssssssssssss!!! lol

Ive done it good shit

The truck in front of me nailed a BIG doe right in the head she was done instantly saw it happen they kept rollin we grabbed her cleaned her and was grilling hours later.

Now way id be eating one thats just been laying there though

Phill