T Nation

Eating plan

I’m being consulted by a well-reknowned speed coach who has recommended the following diet for me. Prior to this I had been following Berardi’s dietary advice i.e. massive eating. Can anyone see the logic in this? Do you think I should stick with Massive eating? My goals are strictly sports performance. Thanks.
upon rising - 40 gms fruit 1tbsp honey
meal 2 65 gm protein, 20 gm carb. 35 gm fat
meal 3 65 gm protein, 45 carb, 25 fat
meal 4 35 gm serving veggies
meal 5 65 gm protein, 30 gm carbs, 20 gm fat
before bed 45 gm protein

What is your bodyweight and what are your goals?

My bodweight is 175. I would like to gain about 10 pounds of lbm. I am a football player so ideally i would like to do all this and increase speed and power.

i guess your serious.

i would eat like that if i wanted to lose weight. but go ahead and try it for two weeks, lose 5 pounds and then go back to massive eating. im not being a smartass either. try them both and see which works best for your goals.

ryan

hmm… i say give that shot, but i would go with JB.

Relative to that eating plan, when are you training?

My training has been relatively inconsistent as far as period of day (college student). Thus far I have been training between 1 and 3 in the afternoon. Yeah the plan does seem low as far as food goes, but a lot of protein 240 grams and I am only 175 so that is well above 1 pound per bodyweight. What could be the logic behind the fruit only meal and vegetable only meal? Any ideas? I asked him and he said that they we’re not to be consumed with any protein. -Thanks.

The fruit/veggies alone may be just a way to get you to eat them… Having fruit and especially fresh vegetables in your diet is necessary for good health and optimum sports performance. Also, eating more will help you lose fat, particularly if you’re substituting them for other carbs. And they’re often forgotten as a garnish if anything else is on the plate.

Ask your expert about the reasoning behind this plan. Look into what he says. If it doesn’t make sense to you, go with Berardi’s plan. He’s the expert’s expert, and his advice is sound.

Hi, there, seb340. My best guess on the fruit and honey (both high in fructose) is that your coach’s goal is to refill liver glycogen stores. Liver glycogen stores become depleted over the 8 or so hours you sleep. Fructose is specific to refilling liver glycogen. Liver glycogen is responsible for maintaining blood sugar levels. With liver glycogen refilled and blood sugar levels being maintained, you should have more even energy levels and better brain function.

But nonetheless, I see some opportunities with your diet.

1. For bulking I’d like to see you getting protein in smaller amounts every 3-4 hours, say 7 meals at 35-40g each. Your body can only use so much protein for building and repair at any given time/meal. What it can’t use for building and repair will be used for energy or stored as fat.

2. For athletic performance – lifting weights and playing football – it seems to me that carbs are a little low. Myself, I’d like to see you keep carbs low during the day and then take in a BOAT-LOAD of carbs (starchy and veggie, both) post workout.

3. I don’t see any allowances for post-workout nutrition (i.e., Surge). This, to me, is a major flaw in your diet. Read JB’s article on post workout nutrition and come to your own conclusion.

4. Fat is low, too. Saturated and monounsatured fat are responsible for maintaining T levels. Also, since you’re an athlete, you should be taking in 10g of EPA/DHA, which is about 2 tablespoons of fish oil, about 30g right there. And you should be taking in another tablespoon and a half of EFAs based on your body weight. That doesn’t even take into account the little bit of saturated and monounsaturated fat that you need.

5. Calories are low. I’d take BW and multiply it by 15 (2,625) and add another 500 caloreis to that if you wanted to bulk. Depending on the level of intensity of your workouts, you’ll need even more calories than the 3,100 I’d recommend for someone who had a normal metabolism, did not do hard physical labor, and who worked out in the gym 4 days a week for an hour.

Seb340, coaches are people, too, and they have strengths and weaknesses. Nutrition may not be his strong point. You’d do well to read everything you can here on T-Mag about nutrition and manage that aspect of things.

If you care about your athletic poerformance and your body composition, you need to be keeping a food log and weighing yourself every day so that you can make minor adjustments along the way.

Good luck to you, and if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask.

dang, I remember in college I weighed a whopping 135lbs. at 5’6" and started at wide receiver, ran track, and boxed on my time off. At that weight I was not that lean either because I had to eat everything in site headed into summer training. When I did decide to move up weight in boxing to put some muscle on for football, I followed JB’s recommendations and actually lost body fat and gained tons of muscle. This was all while eating like a freakin pig. At my size I was easily consuming 3500 calories plus, Breakfast was usually 6 eggs, cheese like no other, and tons of green peppers and salsa. So, point is stick with what works, we all love JB’s plan because it works, why try something your uncertain about when you already konw the other works?

Da Boxer

Thanks for all the help.

The workout he has me on revolves around depth jumps. Basically all cns training. Could this help explain the diet at all? I am basically trying to understand where he was coming from. I will probably try and find some balance between JB and this other program… Thanks again.