T Nation

Eating on AAS

As I understand it, AAS greatly increases protein synthesis, and bodybuilders recommend 2g per lb of bodyweight. My question is, do your energy requirements go up as well?

For example, let’s say you know you grow appreciably well eating 20x bw and 1.0 - 1.5 g of protein. Should your fat and carbs remain static, and increase protein to 2.0 thereby increasing your overall caloric intake with just protein? Or should you also eat more carbs/fat?

Or do you just stuff your face all day??

uhmm i am not an expert as you’ll find my own question below yours about my diet.

Yes AAS increase protein synthesis, you are more “efficient” as far as nutrient breakdown and protein absorption.

However AAS do not help your kidneys, liver, or digestive track. With this i mean hormonally you rock but you still need a healthy diet to make sure all other organs act the part.

So let’s say you weight 180 and you are trying to eat 3500 calories or even 4000, get them from healthy meals–you’ll basically eat the food someone eats to lose weight but more quantity of it.

So to answer your question increase your caloric intake, and your protein but also your carbs and fat too. Remember than in your body the carbs and protein are the responsible for releasing insulin in your blood.

long story short
eat considerably more when on AAS
the amount depends on about 100 different factors (the person, dose, training load, current leaness, sensitivity to carbs compounds used ect ect) and its best to eat fairly cleanly as well.

a good place to start is 20%-30% more calories than you would eat if you were going to bulk or add weight naturally then adjust as necessary.

and yes your protein should be around 2g per/lb and no your fats and carbs should not remain static, especially carbs if you want to gain some decent weight then your gonna need alot of carbs in your diet.

Yeah your ratio of protien carbs and fat should stay the same so everything should go up.

A good weight gainer shake helped me up the cals.

OK, I can deal with that. I guess my thought was the extra surplus could be taken care of by protein alone, but it would also make sense to me that a boatload of exogenous testosterone could increase metabolism as well (does it?)

I guess you should err on the high side, because at least you know you’re maximizing your growth potential. If you get a little fatter than you need to, I guess who cares, right?

[quote]aduren wrote:

So let’s say you weight 180 and you are trying to eat 3500 calories or even 4000, get them from healthy meals–you’ll basically eat the food someone eats to lose weight but more quantity of it.[/quote]

3500 cals at 180 for mass? Unless your body produces fat cells at the mention of the word “food” that is wayy too low imo. Especially when using AAS.

[quote]fireflyz wrote:
aduren wrote:

So let’s say you weight 180 and you are trying to eat 3500 calories or even 4000, get them from healthy meals–you’ll basically eat the food someone eats to lose weight but more quantity of it.

3500 cals at 180 for mass? Unless your body produces fat cells at the mention of the word “food” that is wayy too low imo. Especially when using AAS.
[/quote]

I agree. I can maintain 170 pounds at 3600 when off cycle. I’m short though and fairly active.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
fireflyz wrote:
aduren wrote:

I agree. I can maintain 170 pounds at 3600 when off cycle. I’m short though and fairly active. [/quote]

x2

My maintence is about 4500.

But Im on a 5 day split with two cardio days, one is speed work, so Im technically “on” everyday.

My resting day is a nice slow run.

On cycle I make both days speed work and put my calories at about 6000.

If you can handle 7 days a week I highly recommend it.

You eat like an animal, but thanks to the gear everything just keeps getting better.