T Nation

Eating More on On or Off Days?

Hi guys I’m on a diet following 5/3/1 every other day, so far I’ve been eating 300-500 more calories on the says I train for recovery but would it be better eating them on the off days so I feel stronger for the next day?

Thanks

conventional wisdom dictates you keep calories and carbs higher on days you train, but if it averages out the same over the course of a week I doubt there’ll be much difference.

As of my humble experience; I eat more or at least to maintenance of training days, the extra calories are from carbs. On non-training days, I reduce the total calories below maintenance but increase protein more than other days and reduce carbs. That way I feel more stronger and energized. It may work for me but not for others.

For a while I was eating more on workout days, and less on non workout. I was getting a more cut look, but I felt that my lifts were being affected. Now I just eat more or less the same amount everyday, with 1 or 2 days of eating whatever just to stay sane. Depends on what you want I suppose. If you want the covermodel look you will have to eat less and accept that performance will probably go down a bit.