T Nation

Eating More = No Sleep

I am trying to get a bit bigger and the main obstacle is eating enough. When I eat more I don’t sleep.

For example, yesterday I had a steak dinner around 7 pm consisting of steak and salad. The piece of steak was bit larger than I would normally have, at about the size of 2 tuna cans. That dinner stayed in my crop for many hours, making me very uncomfortable, and as a result I couldn’t fall asleep until about 4 am.

Anybody else have this problem and how do you deal with it?

Chew.

[quote]seekonk wrote:
I am trying to get a bit bigger and the main obstacle is eating enough. When I eat more I don’t sleep.

For example, yesterday I had a steak dinner around 7 pm consisting of steak and salad. The piece of steak was bit larger than I would normally have, at about the size of 2 tuna cans. That dinner stayed in my crop for many hours, making me very uncomfortable, and as a result I couldn’t fall asleep until about 4 am.

Anybody else have this problem and how do you deal with it? [/quote]

Thats fucking weird, eating food has never caused me to not sleep.

[quote]optheta wrote:

[quote]seekonk wrote:

Anybody else have this problem and how do you deal with it? [/quote]

Thats fucking weird, eating food has never caused me to not sleep.[/quote]

Well, thanks for your insight.

Of hand, I’d say that if having solid food sit in your stomach causes a bit of discomfort (which I’m sure you would eventually adjust to if you kept up the practice), possibly make use of more liquid calories?

S

I try to eat bigger meals earlier and smaller meals at night. Also chewing gum after eating sometimes seems to help.

I usually find big meals put me to sleep…

eat chicken, fish, or eggs instead

either eat something lighter like walkaway suggested or just put up with the discomfort until your body gets used to it. that is if you have to eat a big meal at night due to schedule or diet.

try big solid meals early in the day, then like stu said more liquid meals in the evening if having food in your stomach prevents you from sleeping.

I fall asleep on birthday cake so…

One reason why i like eggs and cheese because it digests more easily.

Just dont eat an excessive amount of food before sleeping.

That sounds like a very small steak to have caused you to feel full. Just be patient: your body is going to have to learn how to eat like an adult.

[quote]The3Commandments wrote:
That sounds like a very small steak to have caused you to feel full. Just be patient: your body is going to have to learn how to eat like an adult.[/quote]

Drink a bottle of water with every meal, that shit will expand your stomach for realz.

[quote]Triceptaurus wrote:
Chew.[/quote]

dats funny,
buddy of mine takes these enzyne tablets with his meals,he does have trouble with digestion allrite.
or some kinda white fish very easy on the stomach

[quote]quaffloid wrote:
I try to eat bigger meals earlier and smaller meals at night. Also chewing gum after eating sometimes seems to help.[/quote]

I’d go with this for most useful to OP. Also, possibly what stu said, try liquid meals closer to bedtime. If I eat a LOT right before bed, I can have a tough time falling asleep for maybe an hour, but nothing like you’re describing.

Workout in the AM if possible.
Get all of your solid meals in after working out and throughout the afternoon.
After 6pm stick to liquid calories and small light meals or snacks.
If you must workout in the pm then avoid caffeine as much as possible.
I tend to have trouble eating and digesting much if I’m all wound up on caffeine.

[quote]hungry4more wrote:
I’d go with this for most useful to OP. Also, possibly what stu said, try liquid meals closer to bedtime. If I eat a LOT right before bed, I can have a tough time falling asleep for maybe an hour, but nothing like you’re describing. [/quote]

I would literally murder an infant for the ability to fall asleep within an hour of going to bed.

I’m about 2-3 hours usually. Fucking sucks.

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

I’d go with this for most useful to OP. Also, possibly what stu said, try liquid meals closer to bedtime. If I eat a LOT right before bed, I can have a tough time falling asleep for maybe an hour, but nothing like you’re describing. [/quote]

I would literally murder an infant for the ability to fall asleep within an hour of going to bed.

I’m about 2-3 hours usually. Fucking sucks.[/quote]

I know what you mean. To me 2-3 hours is a best case scenario, even absent digestive problems.

[quote]seekonk wrote:

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

I’m about 2-3 hours usually. Fucking sucks.[/quote]

I know what you mean. To me 2-3 hours is a best case scenario, even absent digestive problems. [/quote]

It’s nice to know I’m not the only one. If you ever find something that helps, let me know.