T Nation

Eating Less, Fatigue is Starting to Set In

Ive been eating less over the last few weeks and have seen a lose in weight and appetite, enough where some fellow gym members and coworkers have made positive remarks. I am following the 5/3/1 program Trimvarate, with strongman stuff as my assistance work, usually one exercise of very high reps (20ish) and another exercise event related, following the main event.

My daily calorie intake is:
3000kcals on weightlifting days
2500kcals on non-weightlifting days

It has worked out pretty good so far, but the accumulation of hunger is starting to kick in: I’m feeling less motivated to hit the gym, I feel slightly more tired overall, having a little trouble concentrating, brain fog, and of course I am more hungry. Does anyone have any ideas to combat these side effects?

Do you have any cheat meals, or has it been the same schedule for a while now?

I don’t have any cheat meals, but I have accidentally over eaten before and made notes of it. Last night I was too hungry and downed an extra 100 calories of almond milk and probably 200-300 calories of chicken+mushroom stew I make regularly.

You might consider programming in a cheat meal every week or 2, either right before or right after a big workout. It tends to go a long way in maintaining sanity, and the caloric bump can keep you somewhat human. You don’t want to go too crazy with it (I hit a 2200 calorie meal once which, though recoverable, was really stupid), but still something a little off the program.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:
You might consider programming in a cheat meal every week or 2, either right before or right after a big workout. It tends to go a long way in maintaining sanity, and the caloric bump can keep you somewhat human. You don’t want to go too crazy with it (I hit a 2200 calorie meal once which, though recoverable, was really stupid), but still something a little off the program.[/quote]

I try not to do that because I want to set firm boundaries on what I can and cant eat. I have done this before with very good success. If I let myself slip and eat a huge meal then there is a higher probability that I will let myself slip again, and again…and again. The key is to make a habit out of eating less, then it becomes much easier.

Edit:
IO looked at my old notes real quickly and realized that I did let myself cheat on the weekends, mainly if I went out to drink with my friends I just enjoyed myself and paid it no mind. So maybe that is an old strategy worth implementing.

OP, cheat meals serve purposes that go beyond just mental sanity. They are featured by everyone who has done a “diet down” here for the most part, typically serving also to stoke/reset the metabolism.

definitely have a cheat meal, they really help.

But yeah, dieting sucks and you’llundoubtedly have less energy. Lots and lots of black coffee.

I ate 2000 calories of homemade pasta last night, so I think that counts as a cheat meal. Interestingly, even after eating that meal my daily calories only got between 3100 and 3200, which was my maintenance before I started dieting.