T Nation

Eating Internal Organs

I did my groceries at a different store today and they had a big selection of food like Liver, Kidneys, Heart, Tongues, Brains.

Does anyone eat this or have they tried it? I’m curious as to what it taste like but I have a hard enough time eating tuna so I don’t know if I would be able to get this stuff down.

I hear liver is full of vitamins and minerals and brains of omega-3’s.

So its cheap and healthy…but is it edible?

[quote]hardgnr wrote:
I did my groceries at a different store today and they had a big selection of food like Liver, Kidneys, Heart, Tongues, Brains.

Does anyone eat this or have they tried it? I’m curious as to what it taste like but I have a hard enough time eating tuna so I don’t know if I would be able to get this stuff down.

I hear liver is full of vitamins and minerals and brains of omega-3’s.

So its cheap and healthy…but is it edible?[/quote]

eating beef liver is actually quite good if cooked right.

Liver and onions,cheap and good for you
my uncle loves tounge sandwiches,I dont the stigma of tasting something that can taste me back is weird.

I love tripe.
menudo is the best really and its high in everything you want and low in everything you wouldnt macro wise.

try liver,slice it thin and fry it up with a little garlic,salt and pepper in a pan with EVOO and toss in some sliced onion.

if you like it good if not whatever,wont hurt to try.

I’ve eaten everything you’ve mentioned above… tongue is good as a sandwich with mustard…

If I remember Correctly either Thibs or Poliquin mentioned something bad about eating organ meat… can’t recall what it was though… maybe Thibs could chime in here?

Deep fried chicken livers for the win!!!

Shake in a bag of corn meal, deep fry for a few minutes. Cover the pan, it will pop grease everywhere.

Here in the south US, people eat all kinds of shit. The other day, I saw a woman in the checkout line with 2 gallon buckets of chitterlings and one pint tub of pork brains. My buddy was like “WTF are you going to do with those? deep fry them?” and she said “I put them in jars” afterwards, we joked around like “WTF is she just going to put them in jars?”

Anyways, I would say that liver is the only internal organ worth eating if you don’t know how to cook it right. Fry up the chicken livers and they are alright. Never had the classic “Liver and onions” meal that MaddyD mentioned however it’s supposed to be popular. Here in the south, it’s fried chicken livers. Save some raw ones and go catch some catfish. Fried catfish beats fried livers.

PS, my dad told me that his mom used to fry pork brains with scrambled eggs. Also a popular sammich from the 20’s was the “brain sandwich.”

Some people eat gizzards too but I say F*CK that, those things are chewy and grissly. natty.

eggs and brains is goooooood

I almost forgot about the fried chicken livers, OMG how can i forget those.

honestly,we have a stigma about eating organ meat,if you get over that then you will see how tasty it is.

only thing I have used gizzards for is making gravy or broth

Yea there is a little bit of a mental barrier, I dunno why I eat meat like crazy and its just another type of meat really.

Anyway I looked into the nutritional info on some of it. a 300g piece of liver has almost 80g of protein in it. Seeing its $2/kg I might give it a go. With some onions, herbs and sauce it should be ok.

Brains are really high in fat, protein and cholesterol but I wouldn’t imagine it being the bad type.

The only reason I could think of CT and CP giving organs a bad rap is because of the hormones and shit they feed animals. There would be a higher concentration of them in the liver.

Still, if they were so good, you would think they would have a little more popularity.

Organ meats, offal etc are very much edible and are exceptionally nutrient dense.

There are plenty of palatable recipes floating around that you could search for. Taste wise, they can be somewhat bitter but generally taste as good as whatever you decide to do to it. The texture is somewhat different from normal meat though.

My recommendation when buying organ meats, particularly liver and kidney, is to look for organic, free range and ethically farmed products where possible though. In actuality, this is pretty affordable too. So, for those that cant really afford grass fed beef, organ meats from grass fed animals is a great cost effective solution.

its not too bad in taste really. just a matter of how you prepare it. and the texture of it can get to you sometimes if you think about it.

we have local malay dishes here that make use of animal organs like soup lidah (cow tongue soup), paru-paru (cow lungs) and sambal goreng (a dish that uses chicken heart and liver and cow lungs).

there’s more stuff but these are the ones off the top of my head.

Growing up my parents regularly cooked chicken hearts, which I always looked forward to eating. I haven’t had them in years but they were tasty and a good protein source.

Liver, has a nice texture, is cheap as fuck, tastes more than any other piece of meat I’ve tried, has a crapload of micronutrients and I think it’s pretty lean.

Tongue, cheaper than steak and otherwise the same save for the texture and a slight difference in taste.

Just try them.

chik’n livers are great and good for you. organs were big in the early days of bodybuilding but we got fancy and dont need them anymore i guess

Heart is very tasty, too. Sliced thin… super yum.

It has a little stronger flavor than hamburger, not as strong as liver. You could start with heart & see what you think.

Where the liver is a bit of a filter, I tend to go for organic baby beef. God only knows what kind of chemical and hormones might be in there… well, maybe some Finaplix if you’re lucky. Anyway, if you soak it in milk, it will take away some of the bitter taste. Also, don’t overcook it. It goes from soft and delicate to shoe leather.

I have tried heart but found it tough. Never cooked it myself.

I would really like to try some of these, I haven’t ever seen them for sale though.

Plus, It seems fine to think about eating them, but I’m not sure if I’d be able to do it if they were put in front of me. I have no clue why, It’s not a rational thing.

If you brine beef tongue for about 10 days and then boil it, it tastes just like corned beef brisket - only leaner. Slice it thin and serve with some roast beets.

When cooked right, tripe is to die for. And if you can find them, fried chicken feet are wonderful, though I doubt they have much in the way of protein.

Chicken liver goes great with pasta, or chopped up with a little onion.

Somehow it seems that the cheaper the cut of meat, the more flavorful it is. In my experience, the grosser it sounds, the better it tastes. Sed gustator caveat, if you eat too much offal you may find yourself with a case of the gout.

I’ve heard that calf liver is the best because it has the good stuff in it but not the bad stuff. Bad stuff being heavy metals etc that accumulate over the life of the animal.

Also lips, snouts, and hearts can be found in cheap hamburger patties and hot dogs. Yummy

There was this one year where my parents forced us to finish the liver off our dinner plates before we could go out for trick-or-treating.

I’m still scarred by that experience.

[quote]Corrosion wrote:
I would really like to try some of these, I haven’t ever seen them for sale though.
[/quote]

They used to come inside the chickens back in the day. Hit up the ethnic markets in your area and you can find them there.

Beef liver eaten in sane amounts is in my opinion the single most anabolic food on God’s green Earth. It is practically divinely designed to build muscle.

www.westonaprice.org/foodfeatures/liver.html

I eat it raw 3 times a week.

I agree with one of the above post. Try heart before liver. I buy beef liver & dehydrate it for my puppy. It stinks up my apartment but he loves it.

Chicken liver is easier on my palate. I normally chop it all up & mix it in with the regular meat. it’s a nice little treat when scuffing down boring chicken breast. Beef liver on the other hand, taste like dirt.