Eating Healthy On a Tight Budget

Costco has a good Protein powder now, 6lbs for $25.

Also brown rice is cheap too, I like to add a quater cup to meals so I can fill up.

My Bulking Shopping list for Costco:

Potatos, Sweet Potatos, Yams - They are your new best friends.

96 Count Egg Carton

Tubs of Cottage Cheese

Large containers of mixed nuts

Flank Steak (or Eye Round)

Ground beef (85%)

Frozen mixed veggies

Large tubs of PB (with the amount I consume while bulking, I eat the processed crap)

Aidell’s Jalapeno chicken sausage (if I wanted to treat myself)

Loaf of Multi-Grain Bread

Large block of Cheddar Cheese and one of Mozzarella

Large Olive Oil

Emeril’s Essence (makes everything more palatable)

Easy, quick, and cost effective.

Thanks for everyone who posted their suggestions (t3h_Squirr3l, jbodzin, TDog305 etc). This eating plan has really been working out great. I?ve been on it close to one and a half months and have gained approximately ten pounds. Due to my increasing weight I need more calories (4,000). I came up with a new meal plan; let me know what you guys think.

The nutritional breakdown is 35% Fat, 30% Carbs, 35% Protein. I read most of the JB articles and this seems to be the ideal ratio for me. It amounts to around 4,000 calories.

MEAL 1 (P+C)
1 Cup Steel Cut Oats
2 Cups of 1% Milk
1 Grapefruit
0.5 Cups of Blueberries

MEAL 2 (P+C)
2 Pieces of Ancient Grain Bread
1 Can of Low Sodium Tuna
1 Cup of Yogurt
2 Tablespoons Walnut
3 Tablespoons Flaxseed
1 Cup of 1% Milk

MEAL 3 (P+C)
1 Cup Steel Cut Oats
2 Cups of 1% Milk
1 Grapefruit
0.5 Cups of Blueberries

MEAL 4 (P+F)
300 Grams Extra Lean Ground Beef
30 Grams Mozzarella Cheese
4 Omega 3 Eggs
1 Cup of Broccoli (with 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil)

MEAL 5 (P+F)
2 Chicken Thighs + Legs
3 Tablespoons of Natural Peanut Butter
1 Cup of Milk

Also, it’s time to get real ‘old’. You need to scour the clearence racks in grocery stores and read flyers put out in the mail like older folks. If that means checking your newspaper, checking local laundromats, listening to the radio…so be it. Just find a good station to listen to and switch back and forth between different ones and listen well.

Look in the meat cooler for meat that shall spoil in the next few days. It will have like 30% off or $ 2.00 off stickers. If you cook it the day you buy it or freeze it right away, you will be golden.

Did I mention whole turkeys and chickens ? Buy 'em and cook 'em and eat 'em. Lots of money saved. Why pay like 5-6 bucks for a few chicken breasts when you can get a whole chicken (much more meat) for a few bucks more.

One more thing; for breakfast, here is my favourite recipie with oatmeal. You do need some delicious variety right ?

1 cup or so of Oats
1 Bannana (mashed)
1 handful of blueberries
1 packet sweetner
1 cup skim milk
1 whole egg
1 scoop (or more) of vanilla whey/MRP (or w/e protien you think would taste good)
Nutmeg, cinnamon to taste

Mash the bannana first, mix in oats and milk and then mix. Add the dry ingredients and the blueberries. Fry this shizzy up in a pan nice and well-heated and PAM’d up. Feel free to play around with it; applesauce and cinnamon pancakes are good too. You will have to adjust ingredients if you muss it up, naturally. Makes 2-3 pancakes. Want more goodness ? Add more ingredients.

Also:

6 oz or so of dark roast coffee
8 oz skim milk
1 packet sweetner
1 scoop of whey (I like vanilla here)
ice cubes, optional

Vanilla protien latte ! mmmmmm.

Yeah man, you definitely have to buy in bulk to eat a lot. Do you have a friend with a small business, bed and breakfast or whatever? Maybe you could go with them and buy loads of wholesale chicken, cheese, UHT milk, Beef in mince and joint form, and all those good things.

Definitely milk is a valuable tool. Just having a few litres a day- no problem really and you have added 700 cals. Part of a sweet balanced diet.

Dunno about you, i’m pretty skint, but milk is like 34p for a carton, so can’t complain!

I also like lidls, which is an austrian company. It’s actually a charity- set up by a prince or whatnot- that makes no profit, just pays staff better and keeps prices low. 1kg of turkey- ?4.

Here is what you need:
Milk
Eggs
Frozen chik breast
Whole Grain pasta
chicken broth
protein powder
tuna fish
fruits n veggis

Here is where you can get the best deals:
Major super markets: sundays
Costco: any day between 11 and 2 (for free samples!) not a member? Try Smart n Final or Sam’s Club
Small supermarkets: sign up for their circular

Also… check out the sunday paper for a buttload of coupons!

Need cheap cooking supplies? IKEA is where its at.

Also… $0.99 stores are great as well.

Check out places like CVS Pharmacy/Longs at the end of each season for things that are on clearance!