T Nation

Eating for Performance

hey,

i’m not training to be a body builder or power lifter per-se, but i want to raise my lifts as much as possible in the gym. i checked out Berardi’s massive eating calculater, and it says i should be eating ~3500 calories a day. i’ve also heard that you want at least a gram of protein for each lb. you weigh. so, six meals a day of ~660 calories, with 30 grams of protein with each meal.

also, its good to get ur fruits/vegis/fiber etc.

which brings me to my question: when one is just eating for performance, does it matter if one gets any “extra” calories, or is it just a matter of getting enough. should i shy away from getting a pint of ice cream for dessert in the evenings or does it really matter? would eating candy in addition to my diet really change things? again, i’m not worrying about fat.

[quote]dexslave wrote:
which brings me to my question: when one is just eating for performance, does it matter if one gets any “extra” calories, or is it just a matter of getting enough. should i shy away from getting a pint of ice cream for dessert in the evenings or does it really matter? would eating candy in addition to my diet really change things? again, i’m not worrying about fat.[/quote]

well depends on your performancce likely to perform Optimal youll need at least enoguh to maintain unless obese and excess sure as hell wont hurt. you will well gauge it on how you perform

samwe with food choice how do they make you feel are you able to perform at the highest level etc. hell look at many top elite athletes I recall one show that had Chad Johnson NFL wide receiver. He lives onm Mccy D’;s and crap yet is one of the highest at his sport. it works for him. Now not saying if he loaded the quality food he wouldnt do better but he’d need a ton to get that intake up.

find what works for you. not thinking making whole pints of icecream will be a huge aid at least for me but if you need the calories bro do it. Do what it takes for your performance your goals be then strength, health etc.

Phill