T Nation

Eating for Gains

Hi, I sent a post recently with regards to gaining lean muscle and I am now happy with what I have to do.
I have taken the advice of certain members and started the starting strength routine yesterday.
I am still unsure of my eating plan, I have read Massive eating 1 and 2, so I know that I need to be eating a lot of calories each day.
What I would like to know is do I need to be as exact as what he suggests, IE carbs with protien/protien with fat, or should I just be looking to eat as much as I can.
Also should I really be concerned about the balance of each meals macro requirements, or should I just mentally work it out in my head and just get the calories in.
Cheers.

[quote]gav223 wrote:
Hi, I sent a post recently with regards to gaining lean muscle and I am now happy with what I have to do.
I have taken the advice of certain members and started the starting strength routine yesterday.
I am still unsure of my eating plan, I have read Massive eating 1 and 2, so I know that I need to be eating a lot of calories each day.
What I would like to know is do I need to be as exact as what he suggests, IE carbs with protien/protien with fat, or should I just be looking to eat as much as I can.
Also should I really be concerned about the balance of each meals macro requirements, or should I just mentally work it out in my head and just get the calories in.
Cheers.[/quote]

This is my advice. Some may disagree, but I think this will be reinforced by most of the posters here.

You should be concerned, first and foremost, with creating and maintaining good habits. This means good eating habits, good training habits, and good loggin habits.

You should be concerned with writing down the macronutrient ratios and time of each meal you have. This is the only sure way to make sure you are getting the proper nutrition and enough calories. It is a pain in the butt, but necessary to make the best gains. Almost every vet here has done this before. We all agree it’s a pain in the butt, and we all agree that’s it’s just as necessary. After a few years of this, you may choose to simply mentally calculate what you’re doing, as you will then have the experience in planning and food choice to be ok. That is what I currently do, but I kept a food log for a long time, and have ended up with those good habits I needed. I am contemplating going back to a log now as life is making it hard and I need accountability. YOU need to log even if you don’t want to.

That being said, No, you do not have to be anal about the macronutrient ratio of each meal, as long as you LOG IT.

You should be concerned with

[quote]gav223 wrote:
Cheers.[/quote]

This is my advice. Some may disagree, but I think this will be reinforced by most of the posters here.

You should be concerned, first and foremost, with creating and maintaining good habits. This means good eating habits, good training habits, and good loggin habits.

You should be concerned with writing down the macronutrient ratios and time of each meal you have. This is the only sure way to make sure you are getting the proper nutrition and enough calories. It is a pain in the butt, but necessary to make the best gains. Almost every vet here has done this before. We all agree it’s a pain in the butt, and we all agree that’s it’s just as necessary. After a few years of this, you may choose to simply mentally calculate what you’re doing, as you will then have the experience in planning and food choice to be ok. That is what I currently do, but I kept a food log for a long time, and have ended up with those good habits I needed. I am contemplating going back to a log now as life is making it hard and I need accountability. YOU need to log even if you don’t want to.

That being said, No, you do not have to be anal about the macronutrient ratio of each meal, as long as you LOG IT.

You should be concerned with getting as close to his recommendations as you can get. BUT you should not sweat the variations. Stick to the plan, it will build discipline and it is there for a reason.

That being said, don’t sweat 12g of fat in a P/C meal instead of 10g fat. That’s not productive. They are guidelines. Get as close as you can, but don’t sweat the minutia.

I am trying the Massive eating program. I make three of my meals P+C and three P+C. What I need to start doing and other people may have the same problem is make up the macro nutrient differences at each meal since one of the macro-nutrients is missing or minimized.

[quote]gav223 wrote:
Cheers.[/quote]

I’m not sure what your goals are, but Berardi’s 7 Habits of Highly Effective Nutritional Progrms is a great article. It’s excellent advice for beginners, because it keeps it very simple to start. You can get as complicated as you want later on.

http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=291seven2