T Nation

Eating for energy

Hi all. I’m on an adjusted version of “massive eating”, and I’m trying to find combinations of foods (fat/protein or protein/carbs) that will give me energy. I am very active in sports, and everytime I eat beforehand, I feel sluggish while training. Even if I eat an hour before. Not eating before is not an option, at least I don’t think so. I’m trying to maintain my weight while losing fat. Anyways, any meal/food ideas would be appreciated.

Come on guys, don’t leave me hanging…

While trying to lose fat, I’ve always had more stable and high levels of energy when I followed something like the T-Dawg diet. You might want to give that a try, or maybe some ephedrine or Power Drive before your workout.

Gunslinger

Wow, what timing. I was going through the same thing, maybe the reason is the same for you.

The massive eating plan suggests an even amount of p+f and p+c meals. I found that this made me feel sluggish during my training. Instead I went with p+c before my training, followed by the usual p+c meals after training. This helped a ton. Since you are an athlete you are probably already pretty insulin sensitive, so more carb meals won't be as bad. If it helps, here is my current plan:

P+C
P+C
Training - P+C
P+C
P+C
P+C
P+F
P+F

If you’re eating carbs in the hour or two immediately prior to exercise (with the exception of Surge right before), you could be setting yourself up for mid-exercise hypoglycemia.

Or, you could just be eating the wrong kind of carbs so that your blood sugar is fluctuating all the time.

Your best bet is to list what you eat on a daily basis and when you train; then we can offer a little more help.

First of all you should say what you are eating now and then we could make adjustments.
One hour and less is too little time to have a lot of carbs before training unless it is minutes before and/or during. try just something small consisting of just protien and minimal fat but definatley P+F meal prior to work out also do some research in the past articles. hope this helps.