T Nation

Eating Fats with Carbs?

I thought maybe it would be a good idea to add fats to my carb containing meals to avoid insulin spikes, but then I remembered that I heard somewhere that it was a bad idea to consume fat and carbs in the same meal. Any reasoning behind this?

[quote]JGrace55 wrote:
I thought maybe it would be a good idea to add fats to my carb containing meals to avoid insulin spikes, but then I remembered that I heard somewhere that it was a bad idea to consume fat and carbs in the same meal. Any reasoning behind this?[/quote]

Those that advocated seperating both carbs and fats pretty much for the most part now back off from those statements. If you are combining good carbs and fats together there really is not much to worry about. Now, combining a hamburger with a bunch of donuts, would probably be a bad idea but something along the lines of something like a mix of cottage cheese, peanut butter, and protein powder would be a wise choice, and tasty.

So, basically make wise food choices and don’t worry about what mixes with what.

Agreed with this dude ^. First of all, combining fat with carbs taste wonderful (i.e. almond butter and Ezekiel bread, PB and oatmeal, etc). Secondly, it’s a huge pain in the ass to cook foods that are strictly P+F and P+C. And lastly, a lot of people have realized that P+F/P+C meals are kind of pointless… as long as you are hitting the same amount of macros every day, it really doesn’t matter. Even in my post-workout meal (60-90mins after), I’ll have some fat… I won’t go out of my way to eat nuts or something, but I’m all for a fatty steak or piece of beef.

Another thing I’ve noticed that P+F+C keeps me satiated like no other, whereas I can have a big P+C meal for example but I’ll be hungry an hour later, which just annoys me (I guess that’s just from the TEF of carbs).