T Nation

Eating Experiment

I am 5’8’’ 165 and not gaining much weight fast.

Now, seeing as the summer is coming, I want to keep the bf% down but I am really loving this lifting and lifting a lot stuff. So, I am planning to starting eating 5,000+ clean calories/day. I plan on eating clean calories. Fiber, protein, vegetables, fruit, etc.

I don’t know what my BF% is now…if I had to guess it would be 10%

Good or bad idea?
Is this going to make me fat?

Supplements I currently take:
Metabolic Drive low-carb protein.
Surge
Biotest BCAAs
Flax oil
Fish oil

Maybe I will up it to 6,000 Cal…

[quote]bigdude wrote:
Is this going to make me fat?
[/quote]

First off, you sound like a woman. Second, are you sure you’re eating as much as you think you are? Have you logged your food intake for a day or two?

And if you’re really having trouble gaining weight and that’s your goal, why are you so focused on eating clean? Eating clean is great if you’re trying to stay healthy, but that probably isn’t your main concern. You should try eating some starchy carbs…oatmeal, sweet potatoes, rice etc. I don’t know why starchy carbs have gotten such a bad rap. If you want to get bigger your body needs carbohydrates to grow.

[quote]First off, you sound like a woman. Second, are you sure you’re eating as much as you think you are? Have you logged your food intake for a day or two?

And if you’re really having trouble gaining weight and that’s your goal, why are you so focused on eating clean? Eating clean is great if you’re trying to stay healthy, but that probably isn’t your main concern. You should try eating some starchy carbs…oatmeal, sweet potatoes, rice etc. I don’t know why starchy carbs have gotten such a bad rap. If you want to get bigger your body needs carbohydrates to grow.
[/quote]

Hahahahaha.
Well, i have to agree with most of that.

I would say give yourself exactly 30 days and eat big and lift big. Include pastas, sweet and white potatoes, rice, good sources of proteins like chicken, fish, beef (i’d say twice a week for beef), eggs. Good fats: nuts, olive oil, yadda yadda.

6 Meals a day all with a major carb and protein source.

Full serving of a carb+protein beverage (Surge) before and after lifting.

At the end of 30 days, look in the mirror and feel how your clothes are fitting and assess if it’s working the way you want it to be.

If you’re getting fatter than you’d like, start cutting back the starchy carbs in your last 2-3 meals of the day and stick with that for 30 days.

If nothing’s happening, increase the amounts of everything.

[quote]sven33 wrote:

Full serving of a carb+protein beverage (Surge) before and after lifting

[/quote]

Surge before pre-workout? really?

i use it post and it fills me up. i feel like i would throw up if I drank it just before a workout. If I drank Surge an hour or even 20 minutes before a workout, I would pass out during my workout…

[quote]
Surge before pre-workout? really?

i use it post and it fills me up. i feel like i would throw up if I drank it just before a workout. If I drank Surge an hour or even 20 minutes before a workout, I would pass out during my workout…[/quote]

Pass out? Why?
For most mass building phases taking a quick digesting carb and protein beverage before and after a workout is usually a good idea.

Actually i’ve seen quite a few trainers and nutrion experts suggest having Surge or something like it DURING a workout.

[quote]sven33 wrote:

Pass out? Why?
For most mass building phases taking a quick digesting carb and protein beverage before and after a workout is usually a good idea.

Actually i’ve seen quite a few trainers and nutrion experts suggest having Surge or something like it DURING a workout.[/quote]

what about the whole insulin shock business…thats why you are suppose to eat 40minutes after you drink Surge.

i just got my first order of Surge last week and have been taking it PWO, I don’t know if I have been working out harder or if it is the Surge, but I feel very fatigued starting 30min after taking Surge.

Your insulin response is muted while training.

I prefer to down my pre-workout Surge within 10 minutes of hitting the weights.

I prefer to sip it throughout the workout, and then drink another half/full serving after.

[quote]Mod Brian wrote:
Your insulin response is muted while training.

I prefer to down my pre-workout Surge within 10 minutes of hitting the weights.[/quote]

I’ll have to try that. Usual dosage? (3 scoops, 16oz)

[quote]bigdude wrote:
i just got my first order of Surge last week and have been taking it PWO, I don’t know if I have been working out harder or if it is the Surge, but I feel very fatigued starting 30min after taking Surge.[/quote]

Hehehehe. Well, i would hope after your workout you feel fatigued!

Pretty sure that is more a result of your hard workout than it is taking Surge.

The only way i can imagine Surge making you feel MORE fatigued after a workout, yes, could be the sudden sugar spike and slight crash following.

However, pre-workout you aren’t going to be in the depleted, catabolic state that you are AFTER a hard workout. At least you shouldn’t be, especially when you’re on a mass-building nutrition phase.