T Nation

Eating Every 2-3 Hours?

I know I'm supposed to eat every 2-3 hours. What if I am not hungry at the 3 hour mark. Does that mean that I ate too much the meal before?

It depends on what you are trying to do. If you want to stuff in food to go after your goals, then eat something.

One trick, if you want to be hungry, take off the sweater and cool down a bit. Usually, cooling off helps stimulate hunger.

One of things I do when I don't feel like eating at the 3 hour mark is to mix up one of the shakes from Dr. Berardi's Gourmet Nutrition book (I always mix one up in the morning and take it to work as one of my meals). The shake really helps since it is easier (for me at least) to consume than a plate full of food when I am not feeling hungry.

Also, depends on what you have been eating. I find (again for myself) that when I eat higher fat meat that I don't feel very hungry later on, however after eating skinless chicken I don't have too many problems eating every 3 hours.

If your goal is to gain weight, you simply eat again. Ate too much before? Not if the goal is to gain weight. Until your body adapts to an increased caloric intake, forcing some meals down isn't exactly strange territory to many weight lifters. You do what you have to in order to see results.

In high school I was same height I am now, didnt grow from 15 on. I was 185 soph year and colleges said I needed to be 220-230 to be recruited as a D-I fullback or linebacker. I went on a 6000 calorie a day plan where I wrote down everything I ate.

I would eat a huge breakfast, and in between classes at school drink an Exceed Sports Meal (think they are defunked now), lunch, another shake between classes, practice, a huge dinner, another shake few hours later with weight gainer, milk, ice cream, and before bed a can of tuna and 2 hard boiled eggs.

If I needed more calories for the day or on weekends or summer, I drank more of the milk shakes. You just need to make it a habit. I wish I was as disiplined now as I was then. But I went from 185 soph year to 235 senior year.

Of course those are growing years and the natural hormonal coacktail going on, but find some sort of MRP or shake you like drinking and drink it between meals. Or milk, banannas, peanut butter shakes, whatever your taste buds like. Make sure you hit heavy compound movements. You aint gonna grow if you aint squatting, deadlifting, and if you are lucky enough to have the instruction doing olympic lifts.

Yeah, force it down.

I've found for myself that if I eat heavily before going to bed, I wake up ravenous and end up eating a ton of food for breakfast. And for some reason, that sets up the rest of the day for heavy eating too.

I guess I just have to force it down. I eat a total of 6 meals a day, 7 if you include the post workout shake on training days. That means that I will be eating 4 of 6 meals at work. 2 of those are shakes. I guess, I just have to suck it up and down it all. Thanks guys.

Maybe pop some Carbolin 19...that stuff made me want to be stuffing my face all the time