Eating Every 2-3 Hours, Metabolism?

[quote]Padilla7921 wrote:
lixy wrote:
I’m surprised nobody mentioned the body alleged limited ability to process nutrients efficiently when eating “big meals”.

We have:

Some dude earlier in the thread wrote:
Plus, its often touted by many of the top coaches to have nutrients spread throughout the day so that they’re more bioavailable for the body.
[/quote]

My bad.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
49ersFan81 wrote:
So then how can someone with a naturally slow metabolism speed up their metabolism…? Training? HOT-ROX? More cardio?

I am very surprised that “having more muscle mass” has not occurred to you.[/quote]

haha duh.

I guess I meant in the diet sense. I thought eating frequently boosted ones metabolism so what i meant to ask is other than working out (and THUS PUTTING on muscle mass) is there any other way to boost your metabolism?

[quote]49ersFan81 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
49ersFan81 wrote:
So then how can someone with a naturally slow metabolism speed up their metabolism…? Training? HOT-ROX? More cardio?

I am very surprised that “having more muscle mass” has not occurred to you.

haha duh.

I guess I meant in the diet sense. I thought eating frequently boosted ones metabolism so what i meant to ask is other than working out (and THUS PUTTING on muscle mass) is there any other way to boost your metabolism? [/quote]

Eating frequently increases the chances that the near 350gr (estimated) of protein I am taking in everyday are better utilized by my body. The problem with most studies is that they are not geared to discern the benefit to bodybuilders. They are not designed to find the best ways for someone to gain the most muscle mass possible while gaining the least body fat.

What I can tell you is that I have been eating about 4-6 meals a day since I first got serious weighing about 150lbs. I seriously doubt I would have made much in the way of gains without making eating a major priority. That includes breaking my meals down into more controllable smaller portions as opposed to trying to get 5,000cals in one or two meals alone.

Sometimes you have to look at the results people are actually getting even if science is a few steps behind.

What boosts your metabolism is your activity level and your body composition. Trying to lose fat by simply eating more meals would be retarded and completely missing the point.

I eat so that I can perform a certain way. I don’t eat so that my food does the work for me.

2:4-dinitrophenol
Be careful though.

[quote]markdp wrote:
2:4-dinitrophenol
Be careful though.[/quote]

Cute.

:wink:

I eat so that I can perform a certain way. I don’t eat so that my food does the work for me.[/quote]

That requires work though. No one wants to hear that. They want a magic bullet, either in food or pill form. Sad but true.

“Urinary nitrogen excretion was slightly greater with a single daily meal, indicating influences on protein metabolism. The protein-derived energy was compensated by a decrease in the fat oxidation.” Quoted from first study.

The protein intake between the two trials was equal, this means that more amino acids were broken down, where did their bodies get the extra protein, from their bodies. It also slowed down the fat oxidation, which means that dieting with a 1 meal a day diet vs a 6 meals a day diet will cause you to lose more muscle and use less of the fat for energy. This seems to support what someone else on this thread stated.

If you want to build/maintain as much muscle mass as possible you would benefit from a steady stream of amino acids which is easy to due with a high meal frequency. When we eat protein at a meal, our body immediately takes out what it needs for to build essential body tissues and nitrogen needs. The rest goes into the amino acid pool, any excess is either turned into fat or glucose, or it has its CC bonds broken for immediate energy.

It is logically more beneficial that more meals leads to a steadier stream of amino acids, not a large dose where most of the AAs are transformed or used as engery. This is what the study alluded to with “influences on protein metabolism”. In short, exactly what Professor X said.

Oh, and the studies weren’t long term with physique enthusiasts in mind, that study, if it is ever done is likely to support our lifestyles.

I eat so that I can perform a certain way. I don’t eat so that my food does the work for me.[/quote]

Well said.