T Nation

Eating Enough Carbs to Fuel Cardio

If I know what I burn off during a cardio session is there rule ro formula for how many carbs I show take prior/after exercise?

For example:
For a spin class:
Calories burnt: 634
From body fat: 35%

bikram yoga
Calories burnt: 713
From body fat: 45%

HIIT session on cross trainer
Calories burnt: 393
From body fat: 30%

Or is it simply a case of maintaining a calorie deficit when cutting regardless of cardio?

Stats and what type of diet your on would be helpful.

I’ve never heard of a rule. But if your cutting you really don’t want to rush a significant amount of carbs unless your causing some kind of muscle trauma, or going to lift heavy later on in the day. It kind of defeats the purpose of the cardio.

[quote]pheneghan wrote:
If I know what I burn off during a cardio session is there rule ro formula for how many carbs I show take prior/after exercise?

For example:
For a spin class:
Calories burnt: 634
From body fat: 35%

bikram yoga
Calories burnt: 713
From body fat: 45%

HIIT session on cross trainer
Calories burnt: 393
From body fat: 30%

Or is it simply a case of maintaining a calorie deficit when cutting regardless of cardio?[/quote]

I would like to know how you came about those figures? Unless you’re in a laboratory setting, even then you’re not going to know how many calories you burned from body fat compared to what’s floating around in the bloodstream.

I wouldn’t get hung up in the numbers so much.

fuel cardio with carbs? why would you do that? the purpose of cardio is to burn fat so consuming carbs before will sidetrack that. do your cardio as carb depleted as is possible.

^

preferably in the morning on an empty stomach

Or perhaps a TSP of olive oil about 30 min before the cardio.

I don’t know about carbs but vitamin C for cortisol wouldn’t be a bad idea

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
I would like to know how you came about those figures? [/quote]

Dude, like the internet or something. You can always trust the internet for accurate information. :slight_smile:

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
I would like to know how you came about those figures? Unless you’re in a laboratory setting, even then you’re not going to know how many calories you burned from body fat compared to what’s floating around in the bloodstream.

I wouldn’t get hung up in the numbers so much.

[/quote]

I use a polar M61 heart monitor. I’m not too (well not much) hung up on the figures but use them as an indication of what works for me. A simple guideline

[quote]1morerep wrote:
fuel cardio with carbs? why would you do that? the purpose of cardio is to burn fat so consuming carbs before will sidetrack that. do your cardio as carb depleted as is possible. [/quote]

I had thought that carbs before cardio helps with fueling the exercise. Am training for a marathon and I don’t think I could do a 20k run without eating something beforehand. Well I could do it but I would feel very drained afterwards. I want to figure out what is the right amount of food for fuel these kind of endurance exercises. Or even for shorter HIIT cardio sessions as well.

I had thought that carbs about exercise helped recovery. Not taking carbs after exercise would surely meant a longer rest/recovery period?

[quote]Higgins wrote:
Stats and what type of diet your on would be helpful.[/quote]

Good point! Sorry. I’m aged 34. Am 150 pounds at 166 cm height (5ft 6in) with 16% bf. As for diet its:
Breakfast: Oats or with low fat milk
Mid morning snack: low fat yoghurt and fruit (apple or orange)
Lunch: green salad that would include peppers, low fat cheddar, walnets and almonds
Mid afternoon snack: same as mid morning (though either could include a low carb protein bar if I’m running low on energy)
Dinner - wholemeal wrap with avocado, carrot, onion (something similar).

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:

I don’t know about carbs but vitamin C for cortisol wouldn’t be a bad idea

[/quote]

Excellent idea. Thanks. Will start doing that see how it goes!

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:
Or perhaps a TSP of olive oil about 30 min before the cardio.[/quote]

Would never have thought of taking olive oil. What would it do for you when doing cardio?

If your goal is fat loss, some people say intaking a small bit of fat - in the form of oil - can ‘prime’ your system for handling your fat stores for energy expenditure. I have heard this from a few friends as well that have used this approach to get lean.

Nice way to get a cheap and decent amount of calories in you, quickly.

Maybe 10-15g of BCAA (powdered form) just before the cardio session could offset catabolism. You’ll just have to experiment to see what works best for you.

[quote]pheneghan wrote:
Higgins wrote:
Stats and what type of diet your on would be helpful.

Good point! Sorry. I’m aged 34. Am 150 pounds at 166 cm height (5ft 6in) with 16% bf. As for diet its:
Breakfast: Oats or with low fat milk
Mid morning snack: low fat yoghurt and fruit (apple or orange)
Lunch: green salad that would include peppers, low fat cheddar, walnets and almonds
Mid afternoon snack: same as mid morning (though either could include a low carb protein bar if I’m running low on energy)
Dinner - wholemeal wrap with avocado, carrot, onion (something similar).

[/quote]

like ummm wheres the like ummm PROTEIN? you shouldnt be worrying about eating carbs for energy before cardio (not a good idea anyways), you have more than enough right there. eat your damn protein.

Try coconut oil for a little energy boost.

[quote]duddy wrote:
pheneghan wrote:
Higgins wrote:
Stats and what type of diet your on would be helpful.

Good point! Sorry. I’m aged 34. Am 150 pounds at 166 cm height (5ft 6in) with 16% bf. As for diet its:
Breakfast: Oats or with low fat milk
Mid morning snack: low fat yoghurt and fruit (apple or orange)
Lunch: green salad that would include peppers, low fat cheddar, walnets and almonds
Mid afternoon snack: same as mid morning (though either could include a low carb protein bar if I’m running low on energy)
Dinner - wholemeal wrap with avocado, carrot, onion (something similar).

like ummm wheres the like ummm PROTEIN? you shouldnt be worrying about eating carbs for energy before cardio (not a good idea anyways), you have more than enough right there. eat your damn protein. [/quote]

duddy is right, where is the protein?

are you a vegetarian?

even if you are a vegetarian, you should be getting more protein than what you’ve listed.

I know you mentioned running a marathon, but you still need muscle and right now your diet is just leading to your body burning through your muscle.

Do you have certain dietary restrictions you are following?

[quote]duddy wrote:

like ummm wheres the like ummm PROTEIN? you shouldnt be worrying about eating carbs for energy before cardio (not a good idea anyways), you have more than enough right there. eat your damn protein. [/quote]

Aye. I’ve been messing around with my diet over the last 2 months. Will start adding more protein to my salads. Chicken and turkey would be the best sources? Along with whey and BCAA for pre/post-workout.

Thanks

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:
duddy is right, where is the protein?

are you a vegetarian?

even if you are a vegetarian, you should be getting more protein than what you’ve listed.

I know you mentioned running a marathon, but you still need muscle and right now your diet is just leading to your body burning through your muscle.

Do you have certain dietary restrictions you are following?

[/quote]

No - not a vegetarian and no dietary restrictions - simply new to eating any kind of decent food. I was 81kg 23%bf 5 months ago now 68kg 16% bf. Managed this by modifying my diet to the above. Have maintained most of my muscle mass but am a little weaker at the chest press then 4 months ago. Am still seeing small improvements in most other weight training areas. And faster running times - but am guessing this is down to weighing a lot less.