T Nation

Eating Enough Calories? Not a Newbie

I am 5"6, weigh 125 pounds, 21 years old, ~10% bodyfat, male, and recently started my testosterone therapy. I had low testosterone, so whenever I would try and bulk (i’m talking about clean bulking with counting calories and right amount of fats and proteins per lean pound of body weight, with the rest filled in with carbs) I would immediately put on belly fat because my T-levels were that of a 60 year old mans.

Now I’ve been on androgel for a month and have raised my calories from the 1800 I was consuming before, because anything higher caused rapid weight gain, to 2500 a day. I life 5 days a week for 45 minutes and also bike about 2 miles a day to school. I had started the androgel at 130 pounds and now have lost 5 pounds surisingly.

This would never happen before the androgel, so I’m thinking I need to up my calories to put on muscle. I’m looking to clean bulk, so very minimal fat gains (I know when you bulk you’re automatically going to gain some fat from the caloric surplus). What would you recommend I up my calories to?

[quote]smw10c wrote:
I am 5"6, weigh 125 pounds, 21 years old, ~10% bodyfat, male, and recently started my testosterone therapy. I had low testosterone, so whenever I would try and bulk (i’m talking about clean bulking with counting calories and right amount of fats and proteins per lean pound of body weight, with the rest filled in with carbs) I would immediately put on belly fat because my T-levels were that of a 60 year old mans.

Now I’ve been on androgel for a month and have raised my calories from the 1800 I was consuming before, because anything higher caused rapid weight gain, to 2500 a day. I life 5 days a week for 45 minutes and also bike about 2 miles a day to school. I had started the androgel at 130 pounds and now have lost 5 pounds surisingly.

This would never happen before the androgel, so I’m thinking I need to up my calories to put on muscle. I’m looking to clean bulk, so very minimal fat gains (I know when you bulk you’re automatically going to gain some fat from the caloric surplus). What would you recommend I up my calories to?[/quote]

Don’t focus on numbers because I doubt you could lose 5 pounds of amino acids or other nutrients at the weight you are unless you are severely restricting calories. It is most likely water and fat mass which pronounces itself far more dramatically relative to body weight.

Increased testosterone should bias body composition toward lean mass while utilizing unnecessary fat mass as the energy substrate to maintain it.

Eat when you are legitimately hungry. Since you are not a fatty like some of us you will likely benefit from any increase in nutriment. Just make sure to keep an accurate log and reverse your position when you notice the opposite of progress.