T Nation

Eating Crap Without Setbacks?

I am absolutely shocked that my body has responded from dumb nutritional choices over the past week. Let me give you a few facts that lead me to believe I should be suffering from setbacks.

1)FFB that has been training for about 14 months (went from ~26-27% BF to about 12-13%)

2)I recently started a diet that lasted for 3 weeks that was low carb with lots of eggs, whey protein, and only fibrous vegetables for carbs except pre- and post workout. I lost 7 lbs in that three weeks while increasing strength slightly.

3)This past week I’ve been eating all kinds of crap including Krispy Kreme donuts, Wendy’s french fries and hamburgers, pints of Ben&Jerry’s ice cream, sodas, and pizza. All the crap that I KNOW I should NEVER eat.

4)I have gained back only 2 lbs but I assume that most of that is water weight because I was on a low-carb diet and lost a lot of weight rapidly without losing strength. Also, I haven’t done any cardio while eating all this crap.

5)You may recall my thread about a month ago about how I lost a couple pounds while the only change made to diet/training was adding a king size Snickers bar to my diet.

I plan to go back to a very strict diet excluding all this crap I’ve been eating starting tomorrow.

All these odd results must indicate something about my genetics or diet that I would like to exploit for the best results possible.

Oh yeah, here’s a peek at my training routine for the past month.

Day 1
Legs (including deadlifts and squats), Abs
Day 2
Chest, Shoulders, Triceps.
Day 3
Back, squats and dealifts. (my t-shirt is always soaked with sweat after doing deadlifts and squats on the same day)
Day 4
Chest, Shoulders, Triceps.
Day 5
Legs, Abs
Day 6 rest
Cardio
I do 20 minutes of interval training 3-4 times a week.
I do it on a treadmill where I set the incline at 6.0 (max incline is 15.0 on this machine) and set the speed at 5.5 mph while increasing it every minute by .5 mph for 5 minutes then repeat.

Supplements
Grow! Whey
Flameout
REZ-V
Alpha Male
ZMA

Key food
Raw Egg Yolks (I count them as supplement as they are a miracle food that enhances my results)

I know I’m probably doing a lot of things wrong but the results are there. Going back to the low carb diet with fibrous veggies to try and get shredded.

Any suggestions as to why the crap as seems to have no adverse effects? Advice on how to exploit this for better gains?

It all boils down to calories. If you are still consuming somewhere around maintenance, eating crap isn’t going to make you a fat bastard again over night. I just wouldn’t make a habit out of it.

The previous poster pretty much nailed it. When you’re lifting 5 days a week and doing cardio 3-4 times, you’re going to be burning quite a few calories through activity which can let you “get away” with cheating on the diet for a couple days.