Eating Clean While in the Military

so I decided the college life isn’t for me and am joining the air force I was wondering if anyone has experience eating clean in the military specifically the air force but any branch experiences will help.

It sucks. Well, the Army does, especially in the field. But you can manage it if you try, but it makes it a lot more difficult and the food becomes repetitive. The DFAC’s quality of food generally sucks (at least the ones I’ve been too), but there are restaurants on posts and outside of them. The best bet is going to a Commissary/Grocery store so that you can pick up your own food, and hopefully find a place to cook stuff (and also stock up on stuff you don’t need to cook, i.e. nuts, etc).

When in the field don’t even be concerned about it.

You need calories to operate effectively, so get them from whatever source you can (that includes everything in your MRE).

I have found this to be damn near impossible if you’re in the field.

However, during basic I’ve noticed it’s easier for me to throw nutritional templates at soldiers and they adhere to it a lot better than when they go into field work, or weekend exercises.

Camp Bullis, San Antonio.

I was in the AirForce and now have been in South West Asia for 4 years as a civilian with the Army. It is next to impossible. I do my best. I also keep Biotest going in Supplements. I use their protein powders and their metabolic bars several times a day.

Stateside it’s easy. Once you get done with basic and Tech. School, you’ll have access to everything you need.

While deployed is a different animal…

well hopefully I wont be deployed a lot… do computer programmers get a lot of field time?

I was really hoping to get station somewhere in Europe or maybe japan… so that might be an issue.

What AFSC are you going for in the Air Force? I think about.military.com or something like that should have some statistics as far as what AFSC spots are available where. And how often they have deployed. Good luck. I really enjoyed the Air Force.

[quote]patrickk wrote:
What AFSC are you going for in the Air Force? I think about.military.com or something like that should have some statistics as far as what AFSC spots are available where. And how often they have deployed. Good luck. I really enjoyed the Air Force.[/quote]

3cox2 computor systems programming… looks like somthing I could make a lot of money doing outside of the military

Just make sure you pursue an education while you are in. They make it so easy too.

[quote]patrickk wrote:
Just make sure you pursue an education while you are in. They make it so easy too.[/quote]

I plan too… also plan to make a career out of it cause after that I get a pension for the rest of mylife. lol

Good for you. Get your service in. There two types of men. Those that took up arms to protect the country, and others. Get basic and tech school done before you get over concerned with anything else, including any special diet. I started out in Air Police, took every course the USAF and Army had available. College,university courses, and eventually a special job where I did 3 tours on the ground in Vietnam.

I am semi retired, and there is enough demand for what I do that at 66 years of age, I am working 3/4 time, and totally enjoying life. In the Service strength is good, with endurance it is life saving. Enjoy the heck out of the USAF and send bonds home, + a check off to Vanguard Mutual Funds. You are doing the right think. Survive!!

You’ll be tempted by those around you to completely indulge in nasty foods and energy drinks. I say if you can avoid falling into that you’re doing good.

[quote]aknapp wrote:
You’ll be tempted by those around you to completely indulge in nasty foods and energy drinks. I say if you can avoid falling into that you’re doing good. [/quote]

I already use energy drinks at the beginning of my training. I need the energy after you add in tennis, school, and cardio.

[quote]philipj wrote:
Good for you. Get your service in. There two types of men. Those that took up arms to protect the country, and others. Get basic and tech school done before you get over concerned with anything else, including any special diet. I started out in Air Police, took every course the USAF and Army had available. College,university courses, and eventually a special job where I did 3 tours on the ground in Vietnam.

I am semi retired, and there is enough demand for what I do that at 66 years of age, I am working 3/4 time, and totally enjoying life. In the Service strength is good, with endurance it is life saving. Enjoy the heck out of the USAF and send bonds home, + a check off to Vanguard Mutual Funds. You are doing the right think. Survive!! [/quote]

hahaha… most people think im a panzy because I chose the USAF I think its just better for my goals in life… don’t get me wrong they tell me to take up arms I’ll take out anyone I’m told to.

just wondering what do you mean by send bonds home… and a check to vanguard mutual?

As a current active-duty Air Force member, I find it real easy to eat clean. However, my kids snacks keep on calling me sometimes and I have to give in; on-going battle.

Anyway, if you do have a job as a computer programmer, while you are conus ( stationed at a base stateside) you will be able to eat clean but it will be harder due to the variety at your disposal. It’s easier, in my opinion, to eat clean oversees due to the lack of options; “Chow Hall or Chow Hall”.

The problem I see with my students and young Airmen is that they listen to the “barracks bodybuilder” who hasn’t gain weight does every excercise wrong. Or they try to copy the workouts in the magazine that have them do 10 thousands sets and drink Creatine, Protein, testosterone pills and so forth; very comical.

Anyway, you will have the option to eat clean either stateside or overseas. But it will be up to you. I haven’t seen too many programmers living in tents eating MRE’s and I know a few.

Good luck in the service and remember take control of your career. By the way, people who call us the Cheer force or think we are spoiled, I tell them so what. I rather stay in a 4 to 5 star hotel while deployed then sleep in a tent anyday. And those same people who call you pansy are the same one’s calling us for Air Support when they are pinned down. I’ve heard too many times from Army and Marines, “If it wasn’t for you guys, we wouldn’t have made it.”

Dayvon “Sgt Mac” McCarrell