Eating Clean, What Exactly is It?

“Eating Clean” is when you set 3 new PRs on your clean (or power clean) in the same session (after a year of training - a noob claiming they are eating clean is quite embarrassing). It’s the Oly lifting version of being on fire.

Nothing to do with nutrition, hope that clears things up OP.

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:

[quote]mertdawg wrote:
What I define as universally not “clean” is excess sugar beyond what your body can process naturally, and high amounts of omega-6 fatty acids. Those 2 things CAUSE oxidative cell ageing, cancer, arterial scarring, insulin resistance, lower testosterone.

Wheat, grains, starch, beans, milk, other allergens and irritants are much more dependent on the individual.

Saturated animal fat is clean. Monounsaturated fatty acids are clean. 75 grams of sugar a day is probably below any issue of tolerance.

Personally I do avoid too much wheat, corn and even oats and try to keep my total carbs to about 100-150 grams a day plus some for exercise.
[/quote]

Is there an amount of omega-6 that would be considered to high or can it always be balanced by eating an equal ratio of omega-3’s?

Also, if you are getting small amounts of omega-6 say 6g a day max would omega 3’s still be needed?[/quote]

Omega 3s in high amounts can be just as bad, but I’ve read alternate views. 1) 2-4 grams Omega 3 and 6-8 Omega 6 (say 3 and 7)
2) 6-8 omega 3 and 12-18 omega 6 (say 7 and 15)

Omega 3s cause oxidative damage too, but offset a percentage of Omega 6. Either of those ranges is way better than the American diet.

Even 3 and 15 would be a huge improvement for most people. My tendancy is to alternate between the two.

And BTW, not to sound like a commercial but Flamout gets you 3 grams with 4 capsules. Most fish oil gets you 3 grams with about 10, and in a ratio of DHA to EPA that is better for women, while Flameout is shifted to the ideal male ratio. While that may sound like fine tuning, we are talking about 65 cals, 7 grams of total oil to get you set with Flameout, and more than double that with regular fish out. Basically the regular fish oil as about 1 part that is useful for every 5 parts that are not.

[quote]TC wrote:
I try to define the term, “eating clean,” in this article: http://www.T-Nation.com/diet-fat-loss/eating-clean-vs-orthorexia[/quote]

I used to worry about fructose, but you are 95% sure to get too much SUGAR before you get too much fructose anyway. Unless you are drinking a bottle of grape juice, or living under a plum tree. Most fruit is less fructose dense than sucrose. And hfcs is a fraction higher than sucrose.

But I would probably amend my initial post. 1) keep sugar at a level that that works for your body and activity level-basically don’t eat processed sweets/drinks outside of what works for you in the workout window; 2) Manage omega 6 and 3s and basically avoid most high omega 6 cooking oils; 3) I personally wont eat canned tomatoes or inorganic potatoes.