Eating Clean Above Maintenance

I am 237, 6’ 2 and I am at least 20% body fat. lol

If I eat 500 calories above my maintenance intake, but it is completely clean, will this change my body composition from fat 237 to remotely leaner 237?

Please explain to me why or why not.

No, your body does not care.

I’d say you’re less likely to eat 500 calories above maintenance if you choose foods like lean protein and fibrous carbs.

But I agree - over maintenance will be over maintenance and you’ll continue to gain weight.

It will gain weight but not sure about loss fat and u can preserve the muscle easily

Like every time I diet, I feel weak. I feel like I am in a conundrum. How do I lose fat but keep muscle? Should I diet to lose fat and say fuck strength? Or is there a softer approach?

Better quality food may have a positive effect because you maybe ingesting fewer calories that can be utilised but you’re most likely going to continue being a fatty.

Try 500 below :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Do you track your calories at all? It sucks, but it’s useful until you get your meals figured out. I tend to eat nothing for several days, wear myself out, then justify I can have whatever and overeat for a couple days when I “diet” mindlessly. So I both feel weak, because of the nothing days, and net out to losing no weight. It ends up being a lot easier to be consistent when I just do some basic counting. I don’t have to get OCD, and I tend to eat the same everything except maybe dinner, which I just leave myself an allotment for, every day so it’s pretty easy.

uh, no, if you eat a calorie surplus you will gain weight…

2 Likes

Yeah, no. Eat over maintenance and you gain weight.

If you can’t deal with feeling weak while you’re dieting, you’re in trouble because that’s pretty much how it goes.

Eating Clean

This is a term with no meaning. You conception of “Eating Clean” most likely is flawed.

You need to define what you mean by “Eating Clean”.

Calorie Surplus

Eating 500 kcals above maintenance ensure you will gain weight. Some of that weight gain may be fat gain, dependent on your training, genetics and other factors.

“There ain’t no Free Lunch”

You want a simple answer to a complex question. In depth book and article have been written about this.

You need to invest some time in gaining more knowledge.

Kenny Croxdale

The simple explanation is not that difficult though.

Any calories that aren’t utilised to keep you alive, rebuilding tissue or providing energy for activity gets stored as fat. That’s the crux of it.

The only advantage “eating clean” gives you is given enough time, cravings get numbed a bit and it’s damned hard to eat 4000kcal of single ingredient foods where I can scarf 2000kcal of ice cream in one sitting, no problems.

Calories Count

Ingesting fewer calories, a calorie deficit, ensure weight/fat loss. It doesn’t matter what you eat, if you are in a calorie deficit, you will lose weight/fat.

That point was dramatically illustrated with…

Twinkie diet helps nutrition professor lose 27 pounds
Google this article for more information.

Mark Haub, MS Nutrition at Kansas, went on a Junk Food Calorie Deficit Diet to prove to his class that Calorie Count, no matter where they come from.,

Haub lost 27 lbs, decreased his body fat percentage and improved his Lipid Profile Panel.

Haub stated that he does NOT recommend eating a Junk Food Calorie Deficit Diet to lose weight.

However, the Junk Food Calorie Deficit Diet DEMONSTRATED that it all begins and end with calories.

Kenny Croxdale

Jeez, way to cut out, like, the most important part of my reply lol

1 Like

Strength Loss

Some strength loss may initially occur.

However, a substantial amount of strength loss and/or muscle loss means you are going something wrong.

Based on the minimal amount of information, it is impossible to provide you with any more information that that.

It like going a doctor and telling him you are sick and wanting him to prescribe something to make you well. Without knowing more, he can’t provide you with the righ medication.

Kenny Croxdale

“Like” there was nothing in your reply that was all that important or meaning full.

Kenny Croxdale
:

Man…thank you so much. Uh, fucking douche bag.

1 Like

I’m sorry for not being clear. Like I understand the gaining weight thing. But would not my body composition of the weight gain change?

Yes, in a calorie deficit weight loss can occur regardless of macros, but in a calorie surplus, sugar (containing fructose) is stored preferrentially as liver triglycerides which causes liver insulin resistance, and eating excess linoleic acid will result in the body storing a surplus of inflammatory fatty acids in cell membranes, adipose and circulating triglycerides. These have been demonstrated ad nauseam.

1 Like

You can lose weight in a calorie surplus if it is muscle loss, but not if it is fat. A pound of muscle contains only about 350 calories from protein and glycogen while a pound of fat contains over 3500. IF you remove 350 calories from muscle tissue and add 350 to fat, you will lose about .9 pounds.

To the O.P. I would suggest that eating clean means low in fructose bearing sugars, low pro-inflammatory linoleic acid like corn and soybean oil, and low in food items that are allergenic to you in particular.

You should gain less fat in a calorie surplus if you avoid high linoleic oils, fructose bearing sugars (known to cause insulin resistance by increasing liver triglycerides, and avoiding foods that are allergenic to you.