T Nation

Eating Cheap?

I was wondering if anyone could give me some suggestions/advice for eating on the cheap. I will only have about 150 bucks to spend on food for the next few months.

Just trying to get some ideas, thanks for any help.

$150 for 3 months? As in $50/month?

That’s pretty tight, but if it were me, I’d head in the direction of eggs, milk, bargain ground beef, cheese, oatmeal, and quite honestly, at $50 a month, some of the inexpensive pre-packaged stuff that lines the inner aisles of the grocery store that everyone on here swears they avoid at all costs (think mac-n-cheese), would probably help you stretch things out.

Until then, work on making more money.

Get some food stamps, sell somthing you dont need for food, milk,cheap tuna cans,$1 menu at fast food joints. just make sure you make maintances calores so u dont loose no muscle

Sorry, I meant about 150 a month. It’s all I really can afford right now. I am in college, and really having to stretch out my meager budget.

I was hoping someone could give some advice, or suggestions on how to eat well on 150 a month.

[quote]skaz05 wrote:
Sorry, I meant about 150 a month. It’s all I really can afford right now. I am in college, and really having to stretch out my meager budget.

I was hoping someone could give some advice, or suggestions on how to eat well on 150 a month. [/quote]

Chicken should be $2-$3 a pound. Ground beef, $2 a lb. Get cheaper cuts of beef for about the same. Plenty of meat selections for $2-$3 a pound, so a lb a day = $60-$90 bucks. You can get a months worth of broccolli or spinach for another $30. So, thats about $120 for the basics, and you can spend the other $30 on pasta, sauce, seasoning, butter, milk, eggs, etc.

I’m in college as well, and before I got a job I only had around $60 dollars a month to spend on food.

GO TO WAL-MART!

Whole wheat pasta is about $1.50 a box, big bags of frozen chicken are $7, lean ground beef and ground turkey breast are $1 a tube EACH, eye of round steak is cheap as hell, natty PB is around $2 a jar, and frozen veggies are under a dollar per bag.

Now that I have a job I STILL buy all that stuff, just a lot more of it. It’s such a great deal. Find a wal-mart and you can spend $150 on food and it will last you 3 months.

-dizzle

Also, weirdly enough…check out amazon.com.
They sell groceries in bulk.
Good to get basics like tuna, oats…etc.

eggs

what is your beer budget. zero i hope.

[quote]ubl0 wrote:
what is your beer budget. zero i hope.[/quote]

No beer budget I’m afraid.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

Buy the generic stuff if you aren’t already. I was amazed at how much you can save by not paying for the fancy packaging. Case in point, Kraft Mac & Cheese is about .95/box. The generic stuff at Target is .33/box.

Ramen noodles are about the cheapest thing you can eat. Add some protein(eggs) and it’s a cheap PWO meal.

Buy a big bag of rice, cheap and easy carbs. As others have suggested eggs, milk, tuna and cheap cuts of meat. Some fresh vegies to.

Anyone ever try Aldi’s?
I have a choice between walmart and aldi’s.

Hell yhea read TC’s Chako Diet article from way back youll load in the calories on less then NO $$

Phill

[quote]evansmi wrote:
Anyone ever try Aldi’s?
I have a choice between walmart and aldi’s.[/quote]

Yes very cheap canned good some frozen

if you know someone with a sam’s club or costco membership, see if they’ll let to tag along shopping.

oatmeal, tuna, frozen patties, eggs, milk, fruit even are nice there.

Check your local ads for sales on chicken. I know chicken breast at my local shaws sells for 5.99/lb regular, but .99/lb when it’s on sale (probably to lure you there). When it is… stock up!

[quote]allNatural wrote:
eggs[/quote]

Agreed. A flat of eggs is like 5 bucks. (60 eggs)

Eggs are the #1 one protein source and they are dirt cheap.

Honestly, you can do quite well for $150.

[quote]greekdawg wrote:
allNatural wrote:

Honestly, you can do quite well for $150.[/quote]

I agree. Even if you go grocery shopping once a week, you can spend $37.50 per week, which you can get A LOT of food with that amount of money.

[quote]tmoney1 wrote:
greekdawg wrote:
allNatural wrote:

Honestly, you can do quite well for $150.

I agree. Even if you go grocery shopping once a week, you can spend $37.50 per week, which you can get A LOT of food with that amount of money.[/quote]

Yeah I thought he meant $150 for 3 months total. $150 for ONE month shouldn’t even be a concern, I would be walking around the supermarket trying to figure out how to spend that much money on food.

Although I don’t retract my post from eariler, I will say this: stop bitching, $150 a month is a luxury.

-dizzle

150 ain’t bad, I’ve been eating 4,000 calories a day on not much more than that lately!

Costco is my friend, 5lb bags of mixed veggies, big packs of oatmeal, canned beans, canned pineapple, tuna, ground beef, EGGS are real cheap, 3 lb bags of raw almonds and walnuts is alot of calories for about 10 bucks, etc I buy very few things outside of Costco.

The frozen berries are even pretty cheap, Also have big ass containers of extra virgin olive oil which is about 20 bucks but lasts ALONG time and is a TON of calories.