Eating Bugs for Protein

I saw this today off the Drudge Report:

(cp/paste that whole section if the link doesnt work)

So, bugs are high in protein and are pretty much super good for you. Anyone out there eat them? 'Know where you can get them?

The only way i think i could stomach it is in a smoothie w/ a bunch of fruit to cover the taste…

Look buddy. We’re trying to maintain an image here that we’re smarter and more developed than chimps. Try and keep up with us, mmmkay?

heh, gorillas are damn strong dude.

and this just got me thinking, chimpanzees share about 90% of our DNA (correct me if i’m wrong) and they eat a ton of insects. anyone on the paleo diet should do this :wink:

I think you need to consider this:

maybe Biotest can put them in a bottle and call it BugOut…

[quote]robo1 wrote:
maybe Biotest can put them in a bottle and call it BugOut…[/quote]

lol. honestly.

i guess going to a hippy college has made my mind so open that some of my brain fell out…

still i think its not a bad idea, i’m going to try a cricket smoothie this wkend to check it out.

In a survival situation I would definitely resort to bugs. However, in light of that happening, I will stick to traditional sources of protein.

D

A lot of bugs pick up pesticides and other chemicals from crops and lawns. I don’t think you want to be ingesting that stuff. This is especially true since a lot of pesticides mimic the effects of estrogen inside the human body.

[quote]Tithonus81 wrote:
A lot of bugs pick up pesticides and other chemicals from crops and lawns. I don’t think you want to be ingesting that stuff. This is especially true since a lot of pesticides mimic the effects of estrogen inside the human body.[/quote]

i own a tarantula so i actually have a src of pesticide free crickets… yeah i know its kinda gross but i’m down to try something new.

[quote]robo1 wrote:

that made me LOL :smiley:

[quote]Dedicated wrote:
In a survival situation I would definitely resort to bugs. However, in light of that happening, I will stick to traditional sources of protein.

D[/quote]

had a wilderness survival training of sorts.
my stepdad ex military and current survivalist took me and my brother out when we were kids and taught us what to do for water,food,shelter and how to find a road no mater where you are.

we ate bugs for a night because he was showing us tha teven though we think its nasty,most of them dont really have a taste its just a texture. so if we ever had to we could do it again.

then again we also made tea out of pine needles too

I thought about it, termites are supposed to be one of the most protein rich food sources. Hell chimps eat them and hey are strong as fuck, so it must work.

[quote]shizen wrote:
I thought about it, termites are supposed to be one of the most protein rich food sources. Hell chimps eat them and hey are strong as fuck, so it must work. [/quote]

What does a termite have, like one one-hundredth of a gram of protein?

[quote]mwyatt wrote:
shizen wrote:
I thought about it, termites are supposed to be one of the most protein rich food sources. Hell chimps eat them and hey are strong as fuck, so it must work.

What does a termite have, like one one-hundredth of a gram of protein?[/quote]

Don’t remember but for the size they give you the best bang for buck.

I was watching a show last night about ants and termites in Africa, and bugs are still very much a source of food around the world, and if you beleive even a little bit in the whole “Paleo diet” thing, than this should be no problem!

Yummy…

[quote]robo1 wrote:

LOL. Actually, the way I understand it, larvae are an exceptionally high source of omega 3s especially DHA. Another rich source of DHA is animal brains. Yummy…