Eating Before Training

Hi, I have a problem with pre workout meal. My problem is I get nausea when I do my workout with something in my stomach. I really have to workout in a near empty stomach.

Do you have that? Is it because I’m not use to eating a lot?

Any advise because it’s hard to plan meals and workout because of this.

Thanks

If doing squats, deadlifts or Oly lifts I usually start the workout an hour after eating. Most other exercises I can do a half hour after eating.

I’ll have an apple, and a whey protein shake about 45 min to an hour before training, and that’s been working well for me.

I eat a normal meal [600-800cals] about 1&1/2-2 hrs before lifting, and drink a shake during.

Ya the point of pre workout nutrition is to provide you fuel while you’re working out and also extending beyond to your post workout meal to increase muscle growth and recovery.

If you eat right before your workout you won’t start digesting that food till near the end of it AND since your trying to digest and lift weights you may not feel so hot.

So if you’re eating right before back it up. If you’re already eating a half hour to an hour before you could probably back it up a bit more but with doing that make sure you’re eating directly post workout.

I don’t get the nausea, but I’m not sure what to eat.

It seems protein shake makes sense, but it would have to be close to the work out because it would move through the small intestine too quickly

Creatine says to drink right before also
that’s a lot of liquid

I usually aim to get my pre workout meal in 45 min prior to working out. That works for me, but occasionally I do get an upset stomach. This mostly occurs on days when I deadlift or squat.

~Nick

I ate either too soon or just ate too much before doing chest, back and some wood chops.

I had to stop on the wood chops coz i was feeling like shit.

I think hour to hour and a half is best, unless its isolation stuff.

[quote]neoplasme wrote:
Hi, I have a problem with pre workout meal. My problem is I get nausea when I do my workout with something in my stomach. I really have to workout in a near empty stomach.

Do you have that? Is it because I’m not use to eating a lot?

Any advise because it’s hard to plan meals and workout because of this.

Thanks[/quote]

yeah, I wait two hour after I eat, and I used to use HCL too, but don’t anymore, because I ran out.

I’ve puked a couple times due to workout meals. my most recent was a mistake on my part where I ate lobster/shrimp/crab raviolis, but saucy foods usually make me sick before a workout.

I like sticking carb sources like oats, dry pasta and bread products. also, for some reason or another supplementing about 30 grams of protein in some form or another before a workout has helped too.

“Liquid food” (protein shake + carbs) immediately before workout. Problem solved.

bagel with cream cheese , chocolate milk is my favorite . its a decent carb dump , doesnt flop around in the belly , and is delicous