T Nation

Eating at Work

Hey guys/gals

I just wondered what are some of your fav things to eat at work for a quick high protein lunch?
I am limited to sometimes 10-20 mins on lunch breaks and the microwave is normally taken up
By many people so usually get a cold meal.

Does anyone rate things like Greek yogurt? Or offer any suggestions?

[quote]SeenoEvil wrote:
Hey guys/gals

I just wondered what are some of your fav things to eat at work for a quick high protein lunch?
I am limited to sometimes 10-20 mins on lunch breaks and the microwave is normally taken up
By many people so usually get a cold meal.

Does anyone rate things like Greek yogurt? Or offer any suggestions? [/quote]

Eat your meals cold then, seriously. Assuming you work 3+ days a week, pre-cook and portion lunches on your off time. Better to have a solid meal that is healthy and fits your macros then pre-made/no-prep grocery store stuff.

Or, if you have access to an outlet and no one will mess with your stuff: http://www.crock-pot.com/specialty/for-lunch/

I’ve started taking chicken and rice with scrambled egg and veg to work. Cooked up in bulk and take what I need through the week.
I’m a landscaper so don’t have access to a microwave, but to be honest cold rice doesn’t bother me

This is common sense stuff mate. If you cook dinner at night, make more than you need and stick it in the fridge. Take it out in the morning; take to work; and eat. Throw in some fruit, avocado, nuts, etc, etc. As for the microwave, I try to avoid it especially heating food in plastics. I prefer allowing the leftovers to come to room temperature in my bag so it’s perfectly delicious come lunch time.

I’ve done shakes consisting of whey, peanut butter, dry oats, and spinach in a similar work situation where I couldn’t eat a full meal. Blend it up in the morning and throw it in an opaque bottle to avoid annoying questions from coworkers.

[quote]JamesBrawn007 wrote:
This is common sense stuff mate. If you cook dinner at night, make more than you need and stick it in the fridge. Take it out in the morning; take to work; and eat. Throw in some fruit, avocado, nuts, etc, etc. As for the microwave, I try to avoid it especially heating food in plastics. I prefer allowing the leftovers to come to room temperature in my bag so it’s perfectly delicious come lunch time.[/quote]

this. Just bring a lunch with you and eat it cold. Super simple stuff.

OP-my last five lunches at work, no heating required and convenient to eat at my desk

1. Almond/Cashew/Sunflower Seed/ Peanut butter and honey or jam on sourdough X 2 + an apple or two and some roasted pumpkin seeds

2. 1 cup oats, 2 cups greek yogurt, honey and fruit to taste, put in fridge overnight to soften the uncooked oats + roasted pumpkin seed snack

3. Goat cheese, lettuce, tomato, mustard, oysters or liverwurst on sourdough X 2 (I like sourdough) + some homemade dehydrated apple rings and pumpkin seeds

4. 2 packs of peanuts (280 calories a piece), apple and scoop of protein powder + apple rings and pumpkin seeds

5. 3 fried eggs, cheddar and sliced tomato on toasted sourdough-wrapped in foil X 2 (and not refrigerated-no, it doesn’t “go bad”)

Potato salad with chicken added (I hate cold red meat but if your down, go nuts). It’s meant to be eaten cold.

Lunch today (last night’s leftovers plus 1-2 additions):

Slow cooked beef (we all should know by now how wonderful the slow cooker can be. I have enough beef for the entire week now);
Boiled veg: kale, broccoli and green beans;
A hard boiled egg;
Half an avocado (kept in work’s fridge)

I take the above, minus the avocado, from my fridge, stick it in the lunchbox, give it a good dash of pink Himalayan salt, and I’m off. I keep a bottle of organic apple cider vinegar at work, and avocados. Pretty simple stuff but effective.