T Nation

Eating At Work

hey guys im wonderin what you do if you have to work when you have to eat. What do you guys do if you train and within an hour after pwo you want a good solid meal but you cant becaue your at work. What do you usually do?

anyone?

I have a fridge at work, and work at a gym, so I can eat when I want.

pre-workout I have a smoothie w/protein powder, PWO Surge, then 1 hr later I grab a burger from the fridge with some fruit.

really depends on your job and what you have access to

Simply take a cooler full of food with you. Precook your food the day before and then BAM throw it in the cooler and GO!!.

Just pack some chicken/tuna/beef and some rice or something in a container

what if you workout at 3:30-4:30, finish Surge by 5 and then have to go to work. I work at a sports place for kids so besides eating peanuts or like a protein bar I cant really sit down to eat. Those to things have alot of fat so thats why I didnt want to consume them for my meal after a workout. What should I do?

All of those are good ideas and I already do them in school, but if i work 4 hours I have no time to sit and eat so thats my problem.

i would suggest possibly another surving of Surge or maybe another kinda shake of some sorts. depending on your goals.

low glycemic protein bar? when i waited tables/bartended i would just slam a protein shake half way through a four hour shift or just munch on a protein bar i keep in my pocket when i had a free second. i know how hard it can be man.

what about Metabolic Drive bars?

[quote]matathedestroyer wrote:
i would suggest possibly another surving of Surge or maybe another kinda shake of some sorts. depending on your goals.

low glycemic protein bar? when i waited tables/bartended i would just slam a protein shake half way through a four hour shift or just munch on a protein bar i keep in my pocket when i had a free second. i know how hard it can be man.

[/quote]

I would most definitely not have another serving of Surge. It is not a protein shake.

The protein bar is an alright choice. What about beef jerky? I used to always take almonds and seeds and beef jerky to work with me. Very convenient and no fridge needed.

I keep tuna packets and a tub of roasted almonds in my desk at work for an extra meal.

I eat pretty much non-stop at work, but I have a desk job and work on a computer.

the jerky sounds good but what about fat, arent you supposed to have no fat in pwo meal

Look into nuts. Not peanuts but more like walnuts, almonds, or pecans, or a mix consisting of them. My students tease me for munching on handfuls during my school’s 10:30 snack break (and afterwards when I teach them) but it is more calorically dense and fibrous than any protein shake or bar I’ve tried. Not too much carbs so perfect for my Anabolic Diet. If your diet allows carbs make a mix in a container with dried fruit, even raisins.

MsM, Surge IS a protein shake, but yeah, it’s not something that replaces meals well.

OP, avoid the food that kids’ sports centers serve. Great for growing bodies, but not for us grown folks. Bring your own food, the suggestions above are all good and workable. Maybe even have long bathroom breaks just to munch on something. It’s how I got through my teaching internship, with Biotest’s ORIGINAL MRP bars. :slight_smile:

Um, don’t tell my colleagues, mmmkay?

EDIT: Oh, sorry, you wanted a solid post-workout meal. My suggestion may have too much fiber but it’ll keep you full longer.

If you’re working 4 hours, you get a 15 minute break by law (at least in California). Get something in your system just before work, take your break midway through your shift and chow down (most likely a shake here), then get your next meal after work.

Before I opened my gym I had a real job that affected when I ate sometimes, but I always planned my day out in advance so I always had either shakes or pre-measured food in containers ready to go.

Thanks BF Bullpup. I was trying to keep it simple and could have worded it better. Thank you for correcting me.

ostrim sticks. They’re a combination of beef jerky ostrich jerky, size of a slim jim with lots of quality proetin. Also John Berardi approved, which is always a good sign.

[quote]MsM wrote:
Thanks BF Bullpup. I was trying to keep it simple and could have worded it better. Thank you for correcting me.[/quote]

No worries, I knew you’ve been around long enough to know what it is. :slight_smile:

[quote]OneMoreRep wrote:
ostrim sticks. They’re a combination of beef jerky ostrich jerky, size of a slim jim with lots of quality proetin. Also John Berardi approved, which is always a good sign.[/quote]

I would be interested in that. Where can you buy it? Typical supermarkets or whole-foods/organic stores?

[quote]BF Bullpup wrote:
OneMoreRep wrote:
ostrim sticks. They’re a combination of beef jerky ostrich jerky, size of a slim jim with lots of quality proetin. Also John Berardi approved, which is always a good sign.

I would be interested in that. Where can you buy it? Typical supermarkets or whole-foods/organic stores?[/quote]

I bought them at GNC before but it was a while ago so I don’t know if they still carry them. I order them from the net now. Just google it. You’ll get a bunch of hits.