Eating and Strength

If I was going for a world record, I’d get the RP diet app.

This matches my experience. It is really hard to add hundreds of lbs to your total while staying the same weight. Some can do it, but I think most can’t.

I think many who end up really competitive, were heavier before, and not so competitive, but then cut down.

I’m in the process of moving up a weight class (lifetime PED free) from 220 to 242. Diet is fairly clean…

Breakfast is always something like 8 whole eggs + 1/2 cup (measured dry) of steel cut oats with PB and a bunch of frozen blueberries.

Breakfast is 1 lb (measured raw) beef with a big serving of rice and some veggies.

Try to eat a handful of nuts in the afternoon.

Pre-workout is a whey shake with a couple bananas.

Intra workout I do a heaping scoop of gatorade powder in my water (~60-70 g carbs)

Post-workout generally something like 8 raw eggs

Dinner is generally whatever, leftovers, frozen pizza, pasta… just more calories.

Gaining slow but up a solid 6 lbs over about 2 months. Strength is absolutely through the roof. Besides diet I attribute this to proper electrolyte supplementation (I’m a fan of magnesium and taking a solid teaspoon of salf pre-workout) and properly balancing intensity/volume/frequency for best recovery between sessions.

When trying to gain, I don’t think people appreciate just how much you have to eat, especially when it’s fairly “clean” and you’re training hard. I literally never let myself get to the point of hunger and generally will gag a couple times throughout the day just from the amount of food in my stomach… and I’m barely in the range of gaining 1/2 lb a week.

Something else I’ve recommended to people (especially lighter and PED free guys) trying to gain weight is to reduce training frequency. The last thing you want to do is over stimulate an already high metabolism.

16 eggs a day? Wow.

Yea I’ve done more in the past, up to 3 dozen/day for a couple weeks at a time. Blood work has always shown my cholesterol to be fine too.

I haven’t mostly making the point that proper nutrition for your goals whatever they may be is an important part of it. And I do typically take things with a grain of salt when someone is selling a product. However the point of the thread is if getting proper nutrition in check can help strength and I think it does. And I’m not in anyways saying stans diet plan is great or even good for everyone. It’s like training templates cookie cutter and needs adapted for every athlete.

I’ll have to look into it more and see. I could see some scam marketing going on.

I just can’t imagine eating so many eggs. I eat 3-5 at a time once in a while, I don’t really like them that much but they cook fast so they are convenient. I had a bad experience with chicken the other day, I bought a whole chicken and I was cutting it up and there was shit inside of it. I don’t think I will be able to eat anything related to chicken for a while, just thinking about it make me feel sick.

The thing with the vertical diet is that the basic idea of your diet revolving around beef and rice with a bit of fruit and vegetables can work, there is nothing wrong with that at all. But is it really necessary? Why can’t you eat other types of carbs or meat? I eat a good amount of beef and rice, it wouldn’t be a drastic change for me, but if I want to eat pasta or cornmeal or bread it really is not an issue. If you have digestive issues then MAYBE there is some benefit, and if you have to eat as much as Brian Shaw or Thor then you are likely to have digestive issues eating “regular” food.

I looked into the vertical diet when all the hype first started, I can’t count how many times he has promoted Costco and the Cheesecake Factory. It’s like some new style of advertising where instead of him in a TV ad or a billboard he is mentioning them in social media and on YouTube. And this diet book of his (which cost $100 for a few pages) gives directions for blood tests for which the results are to be sent to the company that he is part owner of. There could be more going on but that’s what I can see for myself.

You can find copies of the pdf/book online. You would be kicking yourself if you paid $100 for it. It is some sort of genius marketing strategy, I give him that, but it’s more hype than fact.

Yeah finding actual shit in something you’re supposed to eat would be rough…

And yes, eating that many eggs sucks. Anything over 3-5 at a time becomes a chore. Beats the tubbyness that would come from an easier fast-food bulk though.

1 Like

By the way, was your meet this weekend? If so, how did it go?

I don’t eat fruits and vegetables on a regular basis. Id like to think I get at least.8 g protein pet lb but i really have no clue. I literally will eat a small pizza or calzone or some chicken strips and cheese fries for lunch regularly.

1 Like

Well the reason it supposedly was so successful with Shaw and Thor was because he amounts of food they eat. 12k a day roughly. They basically said you can’t eat as much and often as they do without stomach discomfort. So basically they said that carbs were from white rice and they use a meat grinder on whatever steak choice they’re making. They add in ground spinach and a few other things for micro nutrients.

They did doscuss that specifically stating eating several pounds of
Oats or some other carb source would cause an issue with digestion. Shaw says he was having a problem with gut issues and couldn’t eat the amount of food he was needing to to even maintain his weight much less gain weight.

I mean Op is 180 lb powerlifter I doubt he needs to worry about eating so much that he has stomach discomfort. So yeah eating vegetables and fruits wouldn’t be that big
Of
An issue for him

Also I saw you basically said what I did, that if
You aren’t needing to eat tons of
Calories then it’s probably not required and I agree 100%

lol bro you’re to
Lucky. I’d give anything to be able to eat like that and stay in your weight class while getting as strong as you.

1 Like

You can check my training log for full details, I don’t want to clutter up this thread more than I already have. I’m not too happy with how it went because I know I was capable of more but I made all my 2nd attempts for 257.5kg-172.5-257.5, national records (in this federation and division) for bench, deadlift, and total. The worst part was that I barely made it to the platform in time for my opening squat and my knees were not wrapped properly so that messed me up a bit and I passed on my 3rd attempt. It wasn’t terrible but it wasn’t what I was hoping for.

Yeah, that’s not really good. At the very least you should try to track protein intake. Most fast food chains have nutritional info listed online, that could help a bit if you are going to keep it up with the fast food.

Not eating fruits and vegetables is bad, you need fiber and all the micronutrients they contain. For long term health, that is something you should seriously change. I don’t know where to tell you to start, but try to find some sort of fruits and vegetable that you can bear to eat and eat a few portions each day.

Minimize fried stuff, soybean oil is not good for you at all. As far as fast food goes, you could go to Wendy’s and eat a triple cheeseburger and a couple baked potatoes, that would be much better. You either need to start cooking, get a girl to cook for you, or eat from a restaurant that offers some healthier options. Ideally all three. It’s not like fast food is poison, but a chronic lack of fruits and vegetables combined with a lot of soybean oil is not a good diet at all.

You would probably be better off eating 4x a day, even if two of those meals are protein/weight gain shakes with a little snack on the side. I can help you out with this if you want, I also cook for a living so I know a thing or two about food.

EDIT: Eating enough protein will improve recovery. That will directly affect strength gains. From what you are saying, you are almost certainly not eating enough. If you change nothing else, increase protein and eat a bit of fruit and vegetables in one form or another.

1 Like

Exactly what I’m saying. Then switch up AAS protocols to the latest shit (he is part owner of a medical company) and you have results. If you are not in the SHW untested category then that is of little benefit to you.

VD includes fruits and vegetables. There is doubt over whether more than 4 servings per day has additional benefits though.

That’s interesting. I don’t use it and mostly just siting the importance of good nutrition at an elite level especially.

I actually picked up some better food from the store the other day. Not going to go crazy but gonna see what happens the next few weeks. I always but fruit and it always goes bad way too quick on me. My girl has competed in the fitness comps and helped me with the shopping lol. I feel like I’m at the point any little bit will help until I decide to move to 198. At that point I can be almost 20 lbs heavier and could do some damage with some time in the weight class. Getting old though so can’t wait too long.

3 Likes

Does your girl know about proper nutrition for fitness and such? If so, you could just follow her, only you could get away with some cheating since you aren’t trying to pose in a thong. Or at least I hope not.

Mike Israetel puts out a lot of free info on nutrition and training, it’s mostly geared towards fitness/bodybuilding but the information is solid.

Yes mike has tons of info out there on YouTube. He’s brilliant.

Yea. I told her I’m not trying to get crazy into it. And still will eat some garbage almost daily but 2/3rds cleaner lol.

2 Likes