Eating and Post Workout Nutrition

I’m actually curious of how many people here actually honestly follow the dietary guidelines set out here in T-Nation. I mean we all know that eating every2-3 hours is good and that eating protein, etc? but how many of us actually do that? I eat every 2-3 hours but I eat a lot of shite and that?s the truth. Which leads me on to my question. If the pre-post workout nutrition is GREAT but the rest of your day is shite, can results (in muscle mass) still be obtained?

Wayne.

In 2000, I read Body for Life. I think they said it best. “Weight training with poor nutrition is like trying to light a lighter with no fluid. You may get a spark but you wont get a flame.” In other words you may get away with some small gains but thats where it stops. There were certainly some nuggets of wisdom in that book. Key word being “some”.

I am absolutely 100% about this stuff. I almost never miss a meal, and a lot of the times, I bring things with me. Of course, for the last 3 months Ive been on fat loss, and you have to be reasonably particular about things on that. Mass gain…that may be a little different, but I dont really see myself eating the aforementioned shyte.

Ive seen the progress my body can make when I put good foods into it, and Ive seen the backwards progress my roommates make by putting the shyte into it. I could never go back to that…

Thats just me though, and Im 6’4", 205lbs, and 6.5%bf as of this writing. This is down from the 233lbs, 14%bf I was 3 months ago. You make the call.

Only those who actually care about results…

I used to not diet very well and then I found T-mag. I started the T-dawg 2.0 diet and am very happy with the results. I try to limit the shyte to my cheat meal and even then it is very little.

Once I started seeing results it was way too difficult to actually go back and start eating bad stuff. My body fat has dropped and my strength has gone up. There is no way I can go back to just eating anything I wanted. I just know what is going to happen and it isn’t going to be what I want.

i alway:s leave home with a protein shake if circumstances permit, take Surge while i workout, have a protein carb meal after i workout, eat breakfast unless going to church on sunday. laters pk

6-8 meals a day all planned out. All meals are logged and caloric targets are set on a weekely basis.

I have about 3 or 4 weeks a year where I dont log or plan and I usually end up sick.

If I dont eat right and plan it all out then I feel like I am just spinning my wheels while lifting.

As for your question about the PWO nutrition…your body repairs itself during your rest time in between training so if you are only ingesting crap then that is what your body will try to use as building blocks…right?

Watts

I stick as close to the plan as possible. It’s not even a matter of how I’m doing in the gym or whatever, it’s a matter of how I feel throughout the day. If I eat crap, I feel like sleeping all the time. If I eat well, I feel great all day and I’m much more productive because of it.

I follow the “game-plan” 90-95% of the time. In other words, I’ll go out for a few beers, maybe a pizza once a week or so. I’ll also have weeks when family/friends are in town and I’ll have a couple more “cheat” meals than usual…and I’ll have weeks when I go straight thru w/ no cheat meals.

So again, 90-95% is the average. This allows me to stay lean enough (4-7% BF) while still having some partying/fun to look forward to. Post-workout nutrition is just one part of it. Unless you are a genetic freak and 20 yrs old or so, it’s gonna take discipline day in and day out.

Danny

Oh yeah, very strict.
It takes alot of planning and research intitally, but once it becomes a routine, there are no problems following it.

You’ll actually start to notice the junk foods you used to crave now don’t taste as good. I had an oreo last night for the first time in almost a year, and it just didn’t taste right.

End result of eating this way? I have more strength, muscular definiton and energy than I have ever had in my life.

I follow the nutrition programs to the very closest detail. I have cut out crap from my food groups. You won’t get the results you want until you give 100% to your nutrition. I learned that from experience :slight_smile:

Come on man, this isn’t a Mens Health message board. This is the real deal. I do the same as the poster who said that he sticks to his dietary guns 90-95% of the time. Once or twice a week I’ll have a good meal and some brew. Other than that, it’s the same-ol’ same-ol’ hour after hour, day after day. That’s the only way it gets done.

Yeah the last few weeks I havent had any cheat meals and make sure I eat every 2-2 1/2 hrs.

I dont log my daily caloric intake, but I check labels and get a general idea of how much i’m eating.

I am cutting (t-dawg 2.0) so maybe logging would be the way to go, but i have been getting good results and have good self control so dont feel the need to change.

I have exams soon too so no time to waste on that.