T Nation

Eating and Gaining With a Twist

Take two twins. They are identical in nearly every way except one weighs 185 pounds and the other weighs 200 pounds. Their body composition percentage is identical. They start doing the same workout as each other every day.

The only difference is the lighter twin eats (new) maintenance + 400 calories while the heavier twin eats at (new) maintenance. At the end of 120 days, is there any difference in their body composition when compared to one another?

Please note that 400/cal/day for 120 days = 15 pounds…

You’re weird, dude.

I don’t know why, but I’m actually going to think about this.

Let’s call them both 10% bodyfat, just to make the math super simple. So:

185# has 18.5# fat, and 166.5# lean body mass.

200# has 20# fat, and 180# lbm.

They eat the same food, aside from the 400 extra cals.

1. What’s in that extra 400?

2. What’s their daily macro breakdown?

3. Are they eating with protein at a set ratio of weight? As in, 2 grams per pound of bodyweight, etc.

4. When is this extra 400 cals ingested? Pre workout? During? Post? For dessert?

5. Just because you noted that 400/cal/day x 120 days = 15 pounds, doesn’t mean the body is that simple. I thought we’d all moved past the “cals in / cals out” view of nutrition and training.

6. As the 185# gets closer to 200#, his maintenance moves up. So that extra 400 cals becomes part of his maintenance, and he no longer has 400 cals surplus, but a smaller and smaller number with every gained pound.

7. Even if the 185# gained that 15# needed to match his bigger brother, do you expect him to gain exactly 13.5# lean body mass, and only 1.5# fat? That would be amazing.

8. Who cares? Go lift something heavy, then eat some dead flesh.