Eating Always vs. Meals

Is there a problem with just eating small amounts every hour or two? Is there some benefit to having larger meals (like more than about 300 cals) and then waiting 3 hours for the next one?

you;ll get a jacked up metabolism eating like that as opposed to eating every 3 hours

I’ve thought about this on occasion. To take it to the logical extreme what would happen if you could magically liquify a days calories and trickle it intravenously at an even pace for 16 hours. I honestly don’t know and I doubt if we’ll get research anytime soon to give us any clues.

I just remember reading in some article or thread that the insulin response from a larger amount of food was somehow necessary? That a trickle of food all day was not actually good…that’s why our bodies were designed for meals?

I was just thinking maybe you need the few hours in order for your body to use the nutrients? Just kind of wondering about it all…

[quote]mj1 wrote:
Is there a problem with just eating small amounts every hour or two? Is there some benefit to having larger meals (like more than about 300 cals) and then waiting 3 hours for the next one? [/quote]

what about eating meals containing more than 300 calories every two hours?
300 calories isnt a big meal by any means?

I beleive JB already referenced a study on this that concluded their was less benefit. It had something to do with the lack of any kind of insulin response, which is crucial to building muscle.

300 calories would probably not be enough, depending on how long you’re awake. If you got up at 7am, ate when you got up and then ate at 9am, 11am, 1pm, 3pm, 5pm, 7pm, 9pm, and then 11pm, that would only be 2700kcal. That’s only counting if you were eating every 2 hours, on the nose. If you were eating every meal 2 hours after you finished your last meal, you would probably end up with only 2400kcal.

I actually eat every 2 hours so as to get in 8 meal a day. Keep them balanced and you will be ok. Also easier on the digestive system. Be prepared to hit the bathroom every 4 hours once the body becomes efficient.

K.

[quote]punyparker wrote:
I beleive JB already referenced a study on this that concluded their was less benefit. It had something to do with the lack of any kind of insulin response, which is crucial to building muscle.[/quote]

Remember though that the only time you should be spiking your insulin is right after training and that is dependant on what you consume…

K

[quote]kerwyn wrote:
punyparker wrote:
I beleive JB already referenced a study on this that concluded their was less benefit. It had something to do with the lack of any kind of insulin response, which is crucial to building muscle.

Remember though that the only time you should be spiking your insulin is right after training and that is dependant on what you consume…

K
[/quote]

That would depend on your goals. Why would someone working on gaining the most muscle possible be avoiding increases in insulin?

Fat loss is a completely different story. Insulin is the most anabolic hormone in your body. Using that to your own advantage would be the intelligent thing to do.