T Nation

Eating After Surge

I have been using Surge off and on for a while now - 6mos. There have been times I get hypo-glycemic after taking it.

Here are the facts:
Breakfast - 3 eggs and morning fruit around 6am

Mid Morning Snack - 1/2 cup of oats; 1/4 cup of flax and a scoop of lowcarb protein powder.

Workout at lunchtime; 0.5liter of water with a 1/4 quarter serving of Surge usually consumed on the way to the gym and 1st half hour of working out.

Immediately following workout a 1.75 serving of Surge. About 2-hours after that I “sometimes” get symptons of hypo-glycemia - sweats, weakness, lightheadedness. It goes away when I eat something so in that respect it is no big deal.

But I was wondering if someone else had this experience and could way in on it. By the way, I am not singling out Surge as a negative as I like it and I think it does a wonderful job.

Thoughts?

Looks like you’re not sufficiently fueled before your workout. I don’t use Surge, but in my experience, I need a bit more food on workout days, starting with a large breakfast, mid-morn snack (I train at noon, too).

Are you taking 1.75 servings post workout, or 1.75 scoops?

I take one serving post workout and usually feel awful within 30 minutes. I’ve usually waited to eat 60 minutes post workout, but I think I’m going to have to eat sooner than that. Usually after I eat I feel fine.

I’m a huge Surge fan and do feel it greatly improves my recovery. So, I use it at all times unless going really low-carb to shred. I always eat about 30-45 minutes after Surge. A solid carb source-either quinoa or oats or high-fiber fruit. Or BOTH fruit and a starch like the ones mentioned. Paired with low-fat protein. I do feel hypoglycemic if I wait too long to eat a nice slow-digesting carb source paired with low-fat protein.

[quote]headdrag wrote:
I have been using Surge off and on for a while now - 6mos. There have been times I get hypo-glycemic after taking it.

Here are the facts:
Breakfast - 3 eggs and morning fruit around 6am

Mid Morning Snack - 1/2 cup of oats; 1/4 cup of flax and a scoop of lowcarb protein powder.

Workout at lunchtime; 0.5liter of water with a 1/4 quarter serving of Surge usually consumed on the way to the gym and 1st half hour of working out.

Immediately following workout a 1.75 serving of Surge. About 2-hours after that I “sometimes” get symptons of hypo-glycemia - sweats, weakness, lightheadedness. It goes away when I eat something so in that respect it is no big deal.

But I was wondering if someone else had this experience and could way in on it. By the way, I am not singling out Surge as a negative as I like it and I think it does a wonderful job.

Thoughts?
[/quote]

To answer your specific question, Surge causes an insulin spike, and that is what it’s designed to do. Post-workout is the one time your body does well with an insulin release like that. But it’s not surprising that you crash if you don’t eat soon after.