T Nation

Eating 4000 Calories and Losing Weight

Hey guys,

I’m eating around 4000-4500 calories a day and I seem to be losing fat. I started a bulk about 4 months ago and as assumed put on some belly fat while getting bigger everywhere else. And now the fat is starting to come off and I haven’t changed the diet/training at all really.

To give you an idea, here is what I ate yesterday (not gunna go into specifics too much, in terms of amounts etc, but I worked it out on an app and yesterdays was about 4200 cals):

6:15am - 30G protein shake, porridge with banana.

8:30am - 30g protein shake post workout.

10:30am - can of baked beans with a can of tuna.

1pm - 1.5 chicken breast with load of rice and vegies.

4pm - 2 scoops of oats, 2 scoops protein, 2 spoons peanut butter (delicious!)

6:30pm - chicken wrapped in bacon, baked potatoe, veggies.

9pm - 150g cottage cheese, few spoons of peanut butter.

On top of that I have half a gallon of whole milk a day, and about 5 liters of water.

What would you guys suggest to do, up the calories or stick with it for a while and see how it goes?

Are you training morecfor strength or bodybuilding. It your trying to pack on the most amount of mass in short time I would add calories until your gaining a acceptable rate to you. If how ever your training for strength andyou lifts are continuing to progress while losing fat then be thankful you have found a mixture that works great for you and I wouldn’t change a thing.

Your body is going to require more calories as you gain more LBM. Your 4000-4500 calories might have been ok for gaining weight 3-4 months ago, but now that you are heavier, Your body is going to require more calories to keep gaining. I ran into the same issue a couple months back and all I did was add a banana and 1 extra scoop of protein to my daily intake to keep me on track…that simple.

I haven’t looked up the macros, but no way does that sound anywhere close to 4000 calories - are you sure about your calorie calcs?

edit: scratch that, didn’t see the milk before

[quote]alexbl08 wrote:
And now the fat is starting to come off and I haven’t changed the diet/training at all really.[/quote]

I doubt this is actually happening. Fat is not simple flying off somebody at a very noticeable rate out of nowhere. Probably water fluctuations.

What to do? You decide, your goals.

[quote]AzCats wrote:
Your body is going to require more calories as you gain more LBM. Your 4000-4500 calories might have been ok for gaining weight 3-4 months ago, but now that you are heavier, Your body is going to require more calories to keep gaining. I ran into the same issue a couple months back and all I did was add a banana and 1 extra scoop of protein to my daily intake to keep me on track…that simple.[/quote]

Think im going to try something similar to this, maybe just add more to each meal. Or chuck in more milk to make it up to a gallon, ive made so much progress since i started drinking milk regularly