T Nation

Eating 2 Times Per Day

1. eating three times a day vs. six times a day doesn’t make any difference as long as you’re getting the same cals/macros/micros. i make the deductive leap that twice a day wouldn’t matter if cals/macros/micros are the same.

the reason is that big meals take a long time to digest. eat a big enough breakfast and you wont be ‘catabolic’ until dinner time, eat a big enough dinner and you wont be ‘catabolic’ until breakfast time.

1. some people will eat more in a day if they dont eat breakfast. this is the way it is for me, but apparently not for ProfX. i dont think anybody knows why, but eating breakfast can help curb nighttime hunger.

[quote]tuffloud wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Aside from the coffee and sausage, I eat that way daily when gaining. I just hate sausage and coffee. I am usually hungry again before 9am.

Are you fat?

[/quote]

Omelets are now only eaten by obese people?

[quote]derek wrote:
Right or wrong, bodybuilding appears to be about symmetry and appearance while perhaps only touching on performance. In that case I am NO bodybuilder. [/quote]

I doubt very many on this forum at all are only lifting weights strictly for appearance. For that matter, I don’t know many bodybuilders who simply can’t perform athletically, discounting the extreme example of pro’s. Working for muscular size and strength still makes you a bodybuilder. If your goal was to simply move heavier weight, then you would be a powerlifter. Size, shape and strength is what most people are working towards.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
tuffloud wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Aside from the coffee and sausage, I eat that way daily when gaining. I just hate sausage and coffee. I am usually hungry again before 9am.

Are you fat?

Omelets are now only eaten by obese people?[/quote]

I’m not saying that I don’t eat a large amount of eggs or omelets. I’m not saying that when I’m bulking that I don’t eat large amounts of food.

However when you are eating 5 egg omlettes WITH cheese and then throwing in 4 slices of bacon, 4-5 pancakes, wheat toast w/ jelly, glass of cranberry juice, apple and corn muffin. Don’t you think that’s a little excessive on the fats mixed with carbs? Pancakes and corn muffins aren’t exactly a preferable choice. You can bulk and add size while also eating good foods. Why not just have a big bowl of oatmeal? Why pancakes and corn muffins mixed with a bunch of saturated fat from bacon? That’s terrible. I hope you wouldn’t eat like that every day.

[quote]tuffloud wrote:
However when you are eating 5 egg omlettes WITH cheese and then throwing in 4 slices of bacon, 4-5 pancakes, wheat toast w/ jelly, glass of cranberry juice, apple and corn muffin. Don’t you think that’s a little excessive on the fats mixed with carbs? Pancakes and corn muffins aren’t exactly a preferable choice. You can bulk and add size while also eating good foods. Why not just have a big bowl of oatmeal? Why pancakes and corn muffins mixed with a bunch of saturated fat from bacon? That’s terrible. I hope you wouldn’t eat like that every day.

[/quote]

I forgot that some people take absolutely everything literally word for word. Let’s now run through a list of things I don’t eat:

Bacon
sausage
frenchfries
most breads even though I will eat pancakes often
potato chips
ice cream
candy
cake

I know if I left anything out, you will be sure to track me down and call me obese for eating it. My usual breakfast when gaining is very often 8-10 whole eggs and 2 pancakes. My life hasn’t ended yet and many times the pancakes are left out. I would imagine that amount of food equals close to the amount of food that the poster I was responding to listed. Just in case you want a list of closest friends and how much I spend on condoms bi-annually, let me know.

[quote]wufwugy wrote:

1. eating three times a day vs. six times a day doesn’t make any difference as long as you’re getting the same cals/macros/micros. i make the deductive leap that twice a day wouldn’t matter if cals/macros/micros are the same.

the reason is that big meals take a long time to digest. eat a big enough breakfast and you wont be ‘catabolic’ until dinner time, eat a big enough dinner and you wont be ‘catabolic’ until breakfast time.

1. some people will eat more in a day if they dont eat breakfast. this is the way it is for me, but apparently not for ProfX. i dont think anybody knows why, but eating breakfast can help curb nighttime hunger.[/quote]

Ummm…you’re joking right?

tuffloud wrote:

I forgot that some people take absolutely everything literally word for word. Let’s now run through a list of things I don’t eat:

Bacon
sausage
frenchfries
most breads even though I will eat pancakes often
potato chips
ice cream
candy
cake

I know if I left anything out, you will be sure to track me down and call me obese for eating it. My usual breakfast when gaining is very often 8-10 whole eggs and 2 pancakes. My life hasn’t ended yet and many times the pancakes are left out. I would imagine that amount of food equals close to the amount of food that the poster I was responding to listed. Just in case you want a list of closest friends and how much I spend on condoms bi-annually, let me know.
[/quote]

I think your getting a little too defensive. All I wanted to know is if you were fat from the way you eat. Fat as in, stomach and love handle area buldging way further out than your pants. I was honestly just curious. I truly wasn’t trying to start an argument or knock you.

I doubt very many on this forum at all are only lifting weights strictly for appearance. For that matter, I don’t know many bodybuilders who simply can’t perform athletically, discounting the extreme example of pro’s. Working for muscular size and strength still makes you a bodybuilder. If your goal was to simply move heavier weight, then you would be a powerlifter. Size, shape and strength is what most people are working towards.[/quote]

You are most likely right there. The term “Bodybuilder” to me has gained a negative conotation over the last several years. You know, oiled up, bikini brief wearing, overly tanned, somewhat metrosexual etc.
I don’t mean to be picky (seriously) but if your goal was to simply move heavier weight who knows what’d be called. If it was only in the three powerlifts, you’d be a powerlifter. Then again there are some that contend you must compete in a meet to be a powerlifter.

Add to this that most pro bodybuilders aren’t as strong as they look. Ronnie Coleman notwithstanding.

I don’t know what it is you’d call what I do (and others). I’m not a strongman competitor, a powerlifter, a track & field athlete or a grip monster… I dabble in all of it each workout.

Plus once in a while, I compete in a breakfast chow-down at Millies.

Y’all some funny m’fers fighting all the time. And X has still got the scrariest avatar on the net.

[quote]timmwwaa wrote:
wufwugy wrote:

1. some people will eat more in a day if they dont eat breakfast. this is the way it is for me, but apparently not for ProfX. i dont think anybody knows why, but eating breakfast can help curb nighttime hunger.

Ummm…you’re joking right?[/quote]

Why would he be joking? What’s wrong with what he posted?

When I bulk I eat more than I usually do.However,it doesn’t permit me to eat like a fucking fat pig. I’m trying to gain muscle,not a bunch of fat.

[quote]The_Grim_Reaper wrote:
When I bulk I eat more than I usually do.However,it doesn’t permit me to eat like a fucking fat pig. I’m trying to gain muscle,not a bunch of fat.[/quote]

I strongly agree, well said. This is exactly what I was trying to say to ProX.

When bulking or trying to gain lean mass, why not eat large amounts of good clean food? Why would someone want to eat a bunch of shit like a fat obese lard ass does?

JD430 wrote:
Of course this isnt very healthy and it wont give you a nice aesthetic physique,

I remember talking to some guy at my gym one day back when I must have only weighed about 200lbs. He was in ridiculous shape, probably weighing about 200 himself at around 5’10" with what must have been around 7% body fat. I asked him how many times he ate in a day (thinking that the only way to achieve that type of look was to eat several times a day) and his response was “twice”.

One thing that you will learn is that there are no rules in bodybuilding that work best for all people. I seriously doubt you would tell this guy it was unhealthy or that he couldn’t reach his goals. There is NOTHING wrong with eating twice a day. It will, however, lend yourself to a less than optimal environment for constant saturation of nutrition…however, some people build and maintain more protein than others even if their diet is the same. That is why genetics are the primary reason most people look the way they do based on their training.[/quote]

I never said that I thought eating twice a day was unhealthy. I said that what Donnie Thompson did was probably not healthy…he put on something like 150 pounds and walks around at 370.
If the original poster was smart and made half way decent meal choices, there’s no reason that he couldnt progress.

One of the reasons you eat 6 times a day while on a diet of ANY kind is to keep the metabolism up. Eating 2 times per day does exactly the opposite of that so it is actually easier to gain weight eating twice per day than it is 6 times per day (given the same amount of calories eaten…which will be tough eating 1/3 the amount of meals).

If its only for a few weeks I wouldn’t sweat it that much. As long as you eat a bunch and try and get some GPP in you should at least maintain.

[quote]tuffloud wrote:
The_Grim_Reaper wrote:
When I bulk I eat more than I usually do.However,it doesn’t permit me to eat like a fucking fat pig. I’m trying to gain muscle,not a bunch of fat.

When bulking or trying to gain lean mass, why not eat large amounts of good clean food? Why would someone want to eat a bunch of shit like a fat obese lard ass does?

[/quote]

This is what you listed above:
“5 egg omlettes WITH cheese and then throwing in 4 slices of bacon, 4-5 pancakes, wheat toast w/ jelly, glass of cranberry juice, apple and corn muffin.”

While I don’t eat bacon, this qualifies as “a bunch of shit”? Exactly how “clean” are you eating? First, my opinion is that he is greatly exagerrating on the amount of food listed. However, what those foods are doesn’t exactly get described as “shit”.

[quote]timmwwaa wrote:
wufwugy wrote:

Ummm…you’re joking right?[/quote]

im not the best at searching pubmed so i had to pull these off another board that didn’t provide the direct link.

the first shows that low energy intake meals can reduce overall daily intake. i was wrong about equating this with a big breakfast, but if the breakfast is low energy then it could reduce overall intake. personally, because im not hungry in the morning i like to drink my nutrients because it is high density and does nothing for satiation.

note the last sentence of the paper below.

J Nutr. 2004 Jan;134(1):104-11. Related Articles, Links

The time of day of food intake influences overall intake in humans.

de Castro JM.

Department of Psychology, University of Texas at El Paso, El Paso, TX 79968-0553, USA. jdecastr@utep.edu

Circadian and diurnal rhythms affect food intake, and earlier research has suggested that meal sizes increase, whereas the after-meal intervals and satiety ratios decrease over the day. We hypothesized that the time of day of food intake would be related to total intake such that intake early in the day would tend to reduce overall intake, whereas intake later in the day would tend to increase intake over the entire day.

The intakes of 375 male and 492 female free-living individuals, previously obtained via 7-d diet diaries, were reanalyzed. The total and meal intakes of food energy, the amounts of the macronutrients ingested and the density of intake occurring during five 4-h periods (0600-0959, 1000-1359, 1400-1759, 1800-2159 and 2200-0159 h) were identified and related to overall and meal intakes during the entire day.

The proportion of intake in the morning was negatively correlated with overall intake (r=-0.13, P<0.01), whereas the proportion ingested late in the evening was positively correlated with overall intake (r=0.14, P<0.01). The energy densities of intake during all periods of the day were positively related to overall intake (range, r=0.13-0.23, P<0.01).

The results suggest that low energy density intake during any portion of the day can reduce overall intake, that intake in the morning is particularly satiating and can reduce the total amount ingested for the day, and that intake in the late night lacks satiating value and can result in greater overall daily intake.

and because i cant find the paper that shows no difference between 3 and 6 meals a day i’ll show you the paper that shows no difference in blood amino levels between 3 meals and 72 sips at 10 min intervals a day.

Am J Med Sci. 1994 Feb;307(2):97-101. Related Articles, Links

Effect of meal frequency on serum amino acids and creatinine clearance in young men.

Wolever TM.

Department of Nutritional Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, St. Michael’s Hospital, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

Seven healthy men consumed a liquid formula diet either as 3 meals taken at 0, 4, and 8 hours, or as 72 equal portions taken at 10-minute intervals (sipping). Day-long mean serum amino acids were similar on both treatments. Sipping reduced the fall in serum creatinine levels by more than 50% (p < 0.01), and reduced urine creatinine output and creatinine clearance by 11% (p < 0.05).

These results suggest that increased meal frequency warrants investigation as a potentially beneficial maneuver in the dietary management of chronic renal failure.

thanks guys!

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:
One of the reasons you eat 6 times a day while on a diet of ANY kind is to keep the metabolism up. Eating 2 times per day does exactly the opposite of that so it is actually easier to gain weight eating twice per day than it is 6 times per day (given the same amount of calories eaten…which will be tough eating 1/3 the amount of meals).
[/quote]

uh, what? evidence would be nice.

food takes time to digest. small meals digest quicker than big meals. in the end they balance out.

even if MR is slowed down during fasting or catabolic periods it’s coupled with a lack of energy intake so it all gets balanced out. so 2 meals at 5000 cals wont make somebody gain weight any faster than 6 meals at 5000 cals.

the ONLY way that any diet or meal frequency will effect long term weight loss is if it reduces overall intake.

tuffloud wrote:
The_Grim_Reaper wrote:

This is what you listed above:
“5 egg omlettes WITH cheese and then throwing in 4 slices of bacon, 4-5 pancakes, wheat toast w/ jelly, glass of cranberry juice, apple and corn muffin.”

While I don’t eat bacon, this qualifies as “a bunch of shit”? Exactly how “clean” are you eating? First, my opinion is that he is greatly exagerrating on the amount of food listed. However, what those foods are doesn’t exactly get described as “shit”.[/quote]

Pancakes (if they are Bisquick or Krusteaz) are shit. Corn muffins are shit.

[quote]tuffloud wrote:
Pancakes (if they are Bisquick or Krusteaz) are shit. Corn muffins are shit.

[/quote]

If you are dieting, I completely agree. If not, I can think of many foods worse than what you listed here when gaining. I understand the argument of “corn” completely, but you are saying that no one should eat pancakes? I would love to see what you eat on a daily basis.