T Nation

Eat Your Fish!

From time to time on this board, folks have expressed concern about eating fish, under the notion that the danger from the mercury outweighed the benefits.

Well, a recent Harvard study determined that “For example, the health benefits of wild salmon consumption outweighed the cancer risks by 900 to 1, while the benefits of farm raised salmon outweighed the risks 300 to one” (quoted in yesterday’s Wall Street Journal).

So kids, I say, eat your fish.

The only mercury concern is with Tuna.

The bigger fish in the food chain will have the highest concentrations of mercury.

lol, don’t eat shark.

fishscam.com has some interesting info too.

[quote]Skuebb wrote:
So kids, I say, eat your fish.[/quote]

I agree

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
The only mercury concern is with Tuna.[/quote]

True enough, but the study covered tuna as well. I just happened to quote the salmon stats. My read of it - tuna in moderate doses as well.

[quote]Skuebb wrote:
eengrms76 wrote:

True enough, but the study covered tuna as well. I just happened to quote the salmon stats. My read of it - tuna in moderate doses as well.
[/quote]

True. People overestimate the mercury concern in tuna. I personally can’t stand tuna (the fish kind) so I don’t routinley make myself aware of the studies, however from other sources it’s usually pretty overblown.

[quote]Skuebb wrote:
eengrms76 wrote:

[/quote]

What is considered moderate? A few cans a week or a few a day?

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
What is considered moderate? A few cans a week or a few a day?[/quote]

Everything I’ve read says that the vast majority of light tuna has much less mercury than than the vast majority of solid white, but a coupla few percentage points of light tuna can have twice as much as solid.

The big concern is for pregnant women and children. There’s a fairly recent article here somewhere, I don’t remember who wrote it, I think Berardi, that was saying unless you’re making it a huge part of your diet you should be ok.

I can’t imagine a few cans a week being dangerous. However, my pyramid above is 15oz.cans of wild salmon I can get for a buck apiece, so that’s what i do. I like salmon more and it’s much higher in EFA’s as well as usually having negligible amounts of mercury.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Skuebb wrote:
eengrms76 wrote:

What is considered moderate? A few cans a week or a few a day?[/quote]

Wish I still had the article. My recollection is that the study suggested tuna at a few servings per week. It also mentioned shark, tilefish and some other stuff I can’t recall in similar doses - a few servings per week. Looks like the mighty salmon comes out on top again though. As a side note, how do y’all eat canned salmon? I can’t do it without doctoring it up some. Anybody got a simple “recipe” ? Mustard and relish? What?

[quote]Skuebb wrote:
As a side note, how do y’all eat canned salmon? I can’t do it without doctoring it up some. Anybody got a simple “recipe” ? Mustard and relish? What?
[/quote]

I love salmon. I can eat it right outta the can with the bones. However, basically anything you can do with tuna is fine for salmon. You might want to try flaking over a salad or into some scrambled eggs, yes, scrambled eggs. Salmon is a miraculaous muscle food.

Classic salmon salad:

remove bones and skin (but leave the greyish fat)

Mix with some mayo (homemade is best) onion, pepper and a squeeze of lemon or lime.
Great for a dip or on sandwiches/pitas