Eat The Big Elephant First: The 10k Kettlebell Swing Challenge Done in 7 Days (Finished!: Full Write Up Posted)

It’s like the worse game of HORSE ever, haha. Appreciate those words from you my dude, as you’re setting an amazing standard of your own.

1 Like

Gotta document the nightly feast that helps power the training. My pre-bed meal

2 Likes

Had some extra time this morning, so I ended up doing 800 unbroken swings

This puts me ahead of the game now: only 620 more to go. 9380 down. Appetite is STILL nuts.

3 Likes

It’s over folks. 630 swings this afternoon, followed by TABEARTA, because of course

I’m going to spend some time doing a full on write-up later, but wanted to share while it was fresh.

7 Likes

Hell yeah man, way to deload. Slow clap ensues.

1 Like

“10 more, just to be safe.”

I got a genuine kick out of that.

You continue to push the bounds, Pwn—well done!

1 Like

Great work.

It was crazy to watch your arms get longer over the week.

1 Like

Thanks for logging this. Was scrounging around for a fat loss program that would be challenging and well…

I’ll probably die doing it, but at least I won’t be bored!

1 Like

@mr.v3lv3t Thanks so much man!

@SvenG Dude, thanks for the support. I have you to thank for all of this. Our spitballing session spiraled into madness, haha.

@FlatsFarmer Thanks man! Accolades from you legit mean the world to me. And hah! There’s a bit of truth in there though: as the week went on, my bicep continued to feel better, and I loosened up more. The bruising from my torn tricep/teres minor has finally faded too. This was very tonic.

@Voluminous Dude, you are legit insane for wanting to take this on, haha. Salute!

3 Likes

Here’s the full write-up!

The post that launched 10000 swings…It was Sunday, I had gotten in my typical “first thing in the morning conditioning blast” to get blood flowing and the metabolism fired up to earn my fantastic weekend breakfast the Mrs makes for me, and in the brief moment of downtime I had between when my workout ends and when my kid wakes up so we can watch cartoons in our pajamas together (if you ever want a fun challenge, try to STOP SWEATING before your kid wakes up), I was sipping my energy drink and logging the workout, and as my mind wandered, it waded into VERY stupid territory…and thus, “10000 swings in 7 days” was underway.

And, of course, the relevant follow-up

Reality had dawned on me: the gears were already turning and there was no stopping this. So later that day, I bought a 3 pack of mechanic’s gloves, because I had read enough horror stories of how this challenge shredded the hands of folks that took it on, and then did a 20 minute “proof of concept” pilot run where I got in my 22 swings per minute along with some daily work in between, and from there I knew what I was going to be doing for that next week.

BACKGROUND

• The week OF that Sunday, I had accomplished a major goal of mine of squatting 5x10x405lbs while running 5/3/1 BBB Beefcake, which, if you’re interested, I did a write-up of here
  • But in the process of that, I had suffered some damage. I documented it in that write-up, but basically, I tore a muscle somewhere in my tricep/teres minor after subluxing my left shoulder on a set of deadlifts, and my left bicep/forearm kept experiencing pops that led me to believe the tendon was on the verge of tearing/rupturing if I didn’t start being a little smarter…which I realize “10000 swings in 7 days” doesn’t sound super smart, but the swing was one of the few movements I could still do that wasn’t causing me any pain or discomfort, so it SEEMED like a good idea at the time.

THE ENTIRE PROCESS

• I’m not solipsistic enough to imagine that people would want me to write about EVERY single workout here in the write-up, but if you DO want to view that, I start logging it here in my training log
  • Instead, I’ll link all the videos here, documenting every single swing from start to finish

THE FULL WORKOUT/GAP FILLERS

• As per the post at the top: I stuck with 22 reps per round for 65 rounds for Monday through Friday. EMOM was the original plan, and after day 1 I found myself resting about 26 seconds per round. That was a LONG time spent NOT doing swings, so I shaved off 5 seconds per round for Tuesday, 2 seconds for Wed, 1 second for Thurs and 1 sec for Fri, resulting in 50 second rounds and over 10 minutes reduced from my starting time. THAT was far more challenging, and turned the swings into a solid effort. Once the weekend rolled around, I no longer had the luxury of 1 hour workouts, as I spend my weekends sleeping in and spending time with my family, so I chunked the workouts into 2 parters and tried to make them as FAST as possible…which is why I ended up doing 630, 715 and 800 unbroken swings. There’s something to be said about the fact that, had I NOT built up over M-F with those hard, time reduced round based workouts, I would not have had it in me to really dig into those high reps.

• Because I am me, I can’t just take on a 20 day challenge and do it in 7 days and be satisfied with that: I had to add on to it. Anyone that follows me knows that I make use of “daily work”: general physical activity that gets done no matter the training day. On top of that, I tend to include 3-5 minute conditioning blasts on top of my training as just something that gets thrown in the middle of the day. I kept up that trend through the challenge. Don’t get me wrong: 10000 swings WILL transform your body, and the swing is an awesome movement that hits the most important muscles of your body, BUUUUUT…if you WERE to add on to it, I’m pretty satisfied with what I settled on: The Barbell “Bear Complex” run in a Tabata Protocol (20 seconds on/10 seconds off for 8 rounds) and 5 minutes of burpee chins. You saw “TABEARTA”, as I’ve taken to calling it, in the final video, but this is a video of me getting “the rest of the workout” done after my swings

• The swing is hitting the posterior chain just fine. What’s a Bear Complex? It’s a clean, front squat, press overhead, bring behind the back for a squat, press it overhead and set it in front of you. That’s ONE complex. The way I run them is a Cluster (clean into a thruster, a thruster being a front squat into a press overhead) into a back squat thruster. So with the swing, we have the hinge, and now we have two squats and two presses overhead added. With the burpee chins, we have the burpee, which includes a bodyweight squat and a push up (horizontal push) and then a chin up (vertical pull). In an ideal world, you jump up to the bar for the chin, but mine is too low to allow that. Still, with swings, Bears and Burpee Chins, we have ALL our bases covered. And by doing Bears as a Tabata workout and the Burpee chins for 5 minutes, that’s 9 WHOLE minutes of exercise. We can all probably spare 9 minutes. In turn, if I were to make this a “complete workout” or sell this whole 1 week experience, that’s what it would be: Swings-TABEARTA-Burpee chins. Do that for 1 week and you will kickstart physical transformation. I’d love to try pairing that with something like the Velocity Diet for a week as well, just to really see what happens when you burn the candle at both ends…and the middle…and just chuck the whole thing in the fireplace.

• In the most ideal of situations, this would be a whole separate workout later in the day, but, instead, because of my schedule, I’d finish my swings, down a protein shake, and then come RIGHT back into the garage and do this, at least for the M-F workouts. On the weekends, it was chunked out a bit more.

• You can also see me getting in some more of that “daily work” I’m talking about. Band work, abs, and ideally GHRs and reverse hypers too.

BEFORE AND AFTERS

Here I am 2 weeks before I started

And this was me on day 6 of the Challenge

The change in such a short time was honestly nutty.

OBSERVATIONS AND LESSONS LEARNED

• There is a CLEAR quality of rep improvement between the first video and the last. I shared these videos with members of the kettlebell community and got some great feedback on how to improve my swing, and took to that task. A big part of it was intent: prior to the challenge, I used the swing as a deadlift builder, and so I’d take the eccentric as far back as I needed to replicate my starting position and only focused on the concentric. The value of a more deliberate eccentric was explained, and, with enough experimentation, I found some value in it.

• There’s also something to be said for how physically broken I came into this challenge. And, along with that, my typical 0400 approach of doing absolutely ZERO warm-up before I start training. As the week went on, my body continued to heal, which allowed it to open and loosen up some, and swing quality could continue to improve. Plus, when you do something 10000 times, you get a little better at it.

• As the photos show: in a span of DAYS, I had shed any fluff I had accumulated over 6 weeks of eating big. Vascularity had returned as well. I keep referring to this as a 7 day physical detox, more of that in the next bullet.

• Here’s a weird one: I noticed my body odor getting foul as time went on. I genuinely think that getting in so much work in such a short time was having a legit “detoxing” effect on me, as my body was just trying to force out ALL the bad stuff it possibly could in order to make me a better, cleaner running machine. My philosophy on muscle building has always been that the body adapts to the stimulus you place it under, which is why I am such a fan of throwing a bunch of chaos at the body in order to make it “ready for anything”, and I’m sure after day 3 of 1430 swings it decided “I guess this is what we are now: let’s get rid of ALL this junk that is gumming up the works”.

• Armor: Despite running “Armor Building Complexes” every day for 5 minutes for the past several months, I needed some REAL armor to get through this. I could tell that swinging the bell that much was going to tear up my hands, and that ANYWHERE I had touch/contact points with my body needed to be adequately covered with material to keep from tearing the skin apart and suffering skin rashes. From review I’d read of the program, skin issues were the most common one. So, that day, I sprung for a 3 pack of mechanics gloves (you can see them in the video) and ensured to wear my fight shorts (a tip I got from Brian Alsruhe) on top of my traditional strongman shorts, in order to keep my inner thighs covered and prevent my forearms from chaffing the hell out of them. I also took to wearing my strongman belt, to keep my lower back warm and give my elbows something to brace against…plus it gives me something to play with between rounds. I went with my No Bull trainers, because they were close to what I deadlift in, and I ultimately wanted this experience to build my deadlift. And I kept my headband, because it’s awesome, and keeps the sweat out of my eyes.

• My appetite was through the roof! This will absolutely turn the metabolism into a furnace.

• I wrote about how broken I was coming into the challenge, and what’s awesome is how much better I felt as it went on. This was a VERY tonic experience. The swing is a super benign movement. Almost all concentric, minimal eccentric, no load across the body, just awesome for getting blood flowing and recovered.

• Now that I’ve done 800 swings in one set, the fire is lit and, one of these days, I’m sure I’m going to see JUST how much I can do.

CONCLUSION

• I have always wanted to do the 10000 swing challenge, and I am so glad I got to do it “my way”. I learned a lot and I grew a TON in the span of 1 week, physically, yes, but just in general. Dan John remains the man, and we are blessed to have all he’s written.
9 Likes

I actually allllmosst did this right before I got selected for the Metcon for Muscle challenge. Not condensed into a week but maybe you have inspired me now to do it that way

There’s a couple of 1 minute swing sets in there so I have a very good idea of what you went through (haha.)

I definitely will give this stupidity a shot after this challenge is over though

1 Like

Hell yeah dude: one of us! We are legion.

1 Like

So instead of a timed one minute segment of swings I just decided to do 50 (which I imagine is somewhere around what I got anyway, rounded up)

Dude aside from the absolutely brutal effort that 800 must have been, how did you even keep track of counting haha… around rep 40-45 I couldn’t remember if I was in the 40s or 30s so I just did another 10 to make sure

I can’t even begin to think counting to 800 I would keep track.

2 Likes

Good on you for getting after it dude!

I’ve been doing high rep stuff for a LONG time. The first time I did 400 push ups, I was 19 years old. Prior to that, I was regularly doing sets of 200. The keeping count has been a valuable skillset.

2 Likes

I finished my eighth workout of Dan John’s plan. I’m actually loving this.

I too thought to myself during one of the workouts, “How did this guy do 800 reps let alone count them?!”

On Wednesday I coupled swings with front squats (did modified pistols last week but was not in the mood to do a unilateral exercise this time around because of time) and I was questioning my well-being mid-workout.

I’m a stickler for form. I don’t always have it, but I pay attention to it. Dan John stresses form for this challenge. If I can get a video on here, can you guys offer some feedback? It’s your thread and I don’t want to take away from it.

2 Likes

Uploading: IMG_1158.MOV…

No problem with you sharing in on the swing love here.

My hopes came true this morning wherein I was able to deadlift heavy again after venturing into this program for a week.

AND I even got to recreate the psychotic workout that got me into this mess in the first place!

I don’t think the link is working. I usually upload a private video to YT and share it here.

I have a couple great videos on KB swing form that helped me out, if you like.

Just make sure you’re not squatting with the weight, you are doing a hip hinge and a hip snap, and the hip snap itself should be enough to carry the KB almost all the way to the top of the movement.

2 Likes

Thanks.

It’s not working. I’ll try to upload to IG later or tomorrow. I tried numerous times yesterday but the app was not uploading it. It was taking forever and then it said unable to upload.

Share videos if you like.

For now I have snapshots.

1 Like