Eat Protein to Lose 395 lbs!

Jared? A pussy. This guy is the real deal, the new spokesman for high-protein diets:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/americas/03/07/mexico.large.man.ap/index.html

I wonder how low the V-Diet would get him…? If he followed it for 3 years, of course.

SAN NICOLAS DE LOS GARZA, Mexico (AP)

A man who once weighed well over half a ton left his house for the first time in five years Wednesday – wheeled outside on his bed to greet neighbors and see a mariachi band.

“The sky is beautiful and blue, and what I want is to enjoy the sun,” said Manuel Uribe, who had once been certified by doctors as weighing 1,235 pounds.

Though still unable to leave his bed, Uribe has lost 395 pounds since he began a high-protein diet a year ago. He now weighs about 840 pounds.

To celebrate the milestone, six people pushed Uribe’s wheel-equipped iron bed out to the street as a mariachi band played and a crowd gathered. Then, a forklift lifted him onto a truck and the 41-year-old rode through the streets of San Nicolas de los Garza, a Monterrey suburb.

With dozens of reporters and photographers in tow, Uribe traveled along, passing the town’s plaza and church and waving at clusters of people eager to get a glimpse of him.

“It fills me with joy to see he’s getting better and getting a little sun,” Uribe’s neighbor Guadalupe Guerra said. “I would go crazy if I had to be inside my house for so many years.”

Uribe was a chubby kid and weighed more than 250 pounds as an adolescent. In 1992, when he was 26, his weight began ballooning further, he said.

Since the summer of 2002, Uribe has been bedridden, relying on his mother and friends to feed and clean him.

He drew worldwide attention in January 2006 when he pleaded for help on national television. Afterward, an Italian and a Spanish doctor both visited and offered gastric bypass surgery.

But Uribe chose to accept help from Mexican nutritionists working with the Zone diet. He says he will stick to that diet until he reaches his goal of 265 pounds.

“My goal is to leave the house on my own but I know that will be a long process,” he said. Doctors say it may take three to four years for Uribe to reach his goal.

Uribe said he plans to start a foundation to help overweight people get medical assistance and teach them about healthful eating habits.

Bulk or cut?

God. How demoralizing it must be to lose almost 400 lbs and still weigh 840. Good for him though. He let himself get to that point, but at least he’s rectifying it.

Im speechless. He’s celebrating with a glass of champagne. Sorry but I can’t pat this guy on the back just yet. Let me know when he’s under 500 pounds or at least light enough to be able to get out of the bed.

[quote]robo1 wrote:
Im speechless. He’s celebrating with a glass of champagne. Sorry but I can’t pat this guy on the back just yet. Let me know when he’s under 500 pounds or at least light enough to be able to get out of the bed.[/quote]

You do realize this guy’s already lost more than you (I hope) weigh, right? Possibly two ore three times as much (sorry, no weight listed in your profile). I mean, yeah, he’s still enormously obese, but for fucks sake, give the guy some credit, he dropped like 30% of his bodyweight WITHOUT BEING PHYSICALLY CAPABLE OF EXERCISE. Think about a 300lb guy dropping down to 200 lbs without moving, literally, just lying in bed 24/7. That’s pretty impressive in my book. Good luck to him.

[quote]m0dd3r wrote:

You do realize this guy’s already lost more than you (I hope) weigh, right? Possibly two ore three times as much (sorry, no weight listed in your profile). I mean, yeah, he’s still enormously obese, but for fucks sake, give the guy some credit, he dropped like 30% of his bodyweight WITHOUT BEING PHYSICALLY CAPABLE OF EXERCISE. Think about a 300lb guy dropping down to 200 lbs without moving, literally, just lying in bed 24/7. That’s pretty impressive in my book. Good luck to him.[/quote]

"Uribe was a chubby kid and weighed more than 250 pounds as an adolescent. In 1992, when he was 26, his weight began ballooning further, he said.

Since the summer of 2002, Uribe has been bedridden, relying on his mother and friends to feed and clean him."

That’s pretty much where my “credit” to him ended…unless there’s some underlying medical condition, why hold him up for simply digging out of his own pit?

Let’s say he gets to sub-300…what, then? YAY YOU’RE FREAKIN’ NORMAL. Throw a ticker-tape parade?

[quote]robo1 wrote:
Im speechless. He’s celebrating with a glass of champagne. Sorry but I can’t pat this guy on the back just yet. Let me know when he’s under 500 pounds or at least light enough to be able to get out of the bed.[/quote]

Fucks sake… The guy lost an absurd amount of weight, granted he still weighs an absurd number of pounds, but he’s on his way.

I mean, he lost 400 lbs, I’m sure he’ll be alright from a glass of champagne.

[quote]m0dd3r wrote:
robo1 wrote:
Im speechless. He’s celebrating with a glass of champagne. Sorry but I can’t pat this guy on the back just yet. Let me know when he’s under 500 pounds or at least light enough to be able to get out of the bed.

You do realize this guy’s already lost more than you (I hope) weigh, right? Possibly two ore three times as much (sorry, no weight listed in your profile). I mean, yeah, he’s still enormously obese, but for fucks sake, give the guy some credit, he dropped like 30% of his bodyweight WITHOUT BEING PHYSICALLY CAPABLE OF EXERCISE. Think about a 300lb guy dropping down to 200 lbs without moving, literally, just lying in bed 24/7. That’s pretty impressive in my book. Good luck to him.[/quote]

The guy can’t get out of bed. I say mad props to the people feeding him. He didn’t do shit.

[quote]medevac wrote:
m0dd3r wrote:

You do realize this guy’s already lost more than you (I hope) weigh, right? Possibly two ore three times as much (sorry, no weight listed in your profile). I mean, yeah, he’s still enormously obese, but for fucks sake, give the guy some credit, he dropped like 30% of his bodyweight WITHOUT BEING PHYSICALLY CAPABLE OF EXERCISE. Think about a 300lb guy dropping down to 200 lbs without moving, literally, just lying in bed 24/7. That’s pretty impressive in my book. Good luck to him.

"Uribe was a chubby kid and weighed more than 250 pounds as an adolescent. In 1992, when he was 26, his weight began ballooning further, he said.

Since the summer of 2002, Uribe has been bedridden, relying on his mother and friends to feed and clean him."

That’s pretty much where my “credit” to him ended…unless there’s some underlying medical condition, why hold him up for simply digging out of his own pit?

Let’s say he gets to sub-300…what, then? YAY YOU’RE FREAKIN’ NORMAL. Throw a ticker-tape parade?[/quote]

So I suppose people who get addicted to drugs and then fight that addiction and recover don’t deserve any credit? Or what about people who make bad financial decisions and then dig themselves out of bankruptcy? Nope, nothing impressive there.

Fuck, what’s it matter whether or not he had a medical disorder causing him to get that fat? He’s lost 400 lbs, that’s not easy to do, good on him for it.

And yeah, if he get’s down to sub-300 lbs, I think he does deserve a damn ticker tape parade. Fuckin give him a medal too. He got himself in a bad situation, decided it was bad, and made the necessary changes to fix it. I’d say that’s pretty admirable.

Uhh, no, I won’t give credit to people who get off drugs. I can at least say that people who get themselves out of finacial ruin, GOT THEMSELVES OUT. This guy pleaded for other people to do it for him. It says he asked for help, but in reality he was asking someone else to do it for him. He didn’t do anything to lose weight because other people are the ones bringing him food.

my $.02

[quote]m0dd3r wrote:
medevac wrote:
m0dd3r wrote:

Let’s say he gets to sub-300…what, then? YAY YOU’RE FREAKIN’ NORMAL. Throw a ticker-tape parade?

So I suppose people who get addicted to drugs and then fight that addiction and recover don’t deserve any credit? Or what about people who make bad financial decisions and then dig themselves out of bankruptcy? Nope, nothing impressive there.

Fuck, what’s it matter whether or not he had a medical disorder causing him to get that fat? He’s lost 400 lbs, that’s not easy to do, good on him for it.

And yeah, if he get’s down to sub-300 lbs, I think he does deserve a damn ticker tape parade. Fuckin give him a medal too. He got himself in a bad situation, decided it was bad, and made the necessary changes to fix it. I’d say that’s pretty admirable.[/quote]

I’ve got nothing nice to say about this. I find compassion towards this man mind-boggling.

Just so im clear. They WHEELED him outside to celebrate the fact that a doctor finally stopped him and his family from shoving more food down his throat? Do I have it right? I guess I have a cold heart then because I find it hard to be impressed. Seriously though, they WHEELED him outside to celebrate. while I’m sure this guy is happy for the weight he’s lost so far, parading him around town seems a bit over the top. What’s next a subway commercial? i don’t think even jared would approve. If 3 years from now he wants to jog around the city (or at least walk on his own power) I will gladly applaud him.

[quote]m0dd3r wrote:

And yeah, if he get’s down to sub-300 lbs, I think he does deserve a damn ticker tape parade. Fuckin give him a medal too. He got himself in a bad situation, decided it was bad, and made the necessary changes to fix it. I’d say that’s pretty admirable.[/quote]

A parade? A medal? There’s a big difference between “support” and elevating the morons of the world. If he was someone I knew personally then I would support him with encouragement, help get him to exercise, kick him in some random quadrant of his ass to motivate him.

But the article (and you) seem to want raise him to a stature of achievement we should all strive for. Yeah, he lost 400lbs…what about the average person who doesn’t daily sit on his ass and gain that much weight? What’s the harder path, the dramatic loss right before he fucking DIES from the pressure on his organs, or the regular guy who works hard to stay in shape?

Sorry but it reads too much like an Oprah episode to me.

…and I added medical conditions because obviously if it wasn’t a direct result of his lifestyle then the context is a bit different.

I wouldn’t admire the recovering addict the same way I would someone learning to walk after getting his leg blown off. But that’s just me, I’m an asshat.