T Nation

Eat More to Burn More?

I’ve read a bunch of articles for cutting or fat loss that use the following statement, “You need to eat more calories to burn more calories.”

ya… so… I don’t get the point they are trying to raise. How can this idea be used for dropping your waistline? Sure you’ll burn more calories if you eat more, but aren’t you still going to just burn an amount equal to what you consumed? Maybe I’m just a bonehead, but anyway, any help is appreciated.

[quote]Swamp Donkey wrote:
I’ve read a bunch of articles for cutting or fat loss that use the following statement, “You need to eat more calories to burn more calories.”

ya… so… I don’t get the point they are trying to raise. How can this idea be used for dropping your waistline? Sure you’ll burn more calories if you eat more, but aren’t you still going to just burn an amount equal to what you consumed? Maybe I’m just a bonehead, but anyway, any help is appreciated.[/quote]

You won’t be burning any more calories than you are right now if you aren’t USING those calories. If you aren’t training hard, eating more often (especially more calories) will simply cause weight gain. Any ad using a tag line that simple is trying to get across the idea that eating more OFTEN will help speed your metabolism. Many people aren’t just fat because they eat too much. Many are also fat because they barely eat anything except the wrong foods at the wrong times and they have starved their bodies into screwing up their metabolisms. Add to that their lack of exercise and their bodies now function at a crawl because they haven’t been feeding it OR using it. For many of them, yes, eating more food daily will actually help them in the long run by helping to increase their metabolism so their bodies burn more calories all day long.

None of this means shit if you aren’t building muscle in the weight room.

You are lifting weights, right?

Some people just don’t eat enough calories daily to support a fat loss diet. It’s not so much them not eating enough caloires, it’s people not eating quality calories spread out over 5-6 meals daily.

They are probably responding to people that eat a pop tart for breakfast because it’s tough to eat early in the morning and then pick up something for lunch and then eat a somewhat solid dinner.

To cut fat you need to have 5-6 quality meals each day with protein in each meal.

Do yourself a favor and paste what the Professor just said into a text document, print several copies and put them up around your house.

You sound like you’re new to this game and if you do not learn this lesson right from the start you’re in for a training career of constant struggle and frustration.

What Prof X said. Though if you are seriously undereating, it’s possible that there can be a proportionally greater increase in metabolism when you bump your calories up above and beyond the amount added.

Do this!

7:00 AM an omelet made with 4 egg whites, 2 whole eggs, green peppers, onions, garlic, and spinach, and a shake made with mixed frozen berries and whey

10:00 AM Super Shake: Mixed frozen berries, whey, mixed nuts, oats, and ground flaxseed

12-1:30 Train

1:45 PM Recovery Shake (Biotest Surge)

2:30 PM Whole wheat pasta, green peppers, onions, garlic, and spinach, diced chicken breast and tomato paste

4:30 PM Salad with diced chicken spinach, almonds, olive oil, tomatoes, cucumber, feta cheese, and olives

7:30 PM Super Shake: Mixed frozen berries, whey, mixed nuts, oats, and ground flaxseed

10:30 PM Salmon, broccoli, zucchini, cauliflower, and carrots

I’ve been following this for close to 6 weeks now and the fat is just falling off me. I’m training 10-12 hours a week.

[quote]Florida Titan wrote:
Do this!

7:00 AM an omelet made with 4 egg whites, 2 whole eggs, green peppers, onions, garlic, and spinach, and a shake made with mixed frozen berries and whey

10:00 AM Super Shake: Mixed frozen berries, whey, mixed nuts, oats, and ground flaxseed

12-1:30 Train

1:45 PM Recovery Shake (Biotest Surge)

2:30 PM Whole wheat pasta, green peppers, onions, garlic, and spinach, diced chicken breast and tomato paste

4:30 PM Salad with diced chicken spinach, almonds, olive oil, tomatoes, cucumber, feta cheese, and olives

7:30 PM Super Shake: Mixed frozen berries, whey, mixed nuts, oats, and ground flaxseed

10:30 PM Salmon, broccoli, zucchini, cauliflower, and carrots

I’ve been following this for close to 6 weeks now and the fat is just falling off me. I’m training 10-12 hours a week.[/quote]

Solid ass plan there FT. Glad to hear it’s working for you. JB would be very proud.

[quote]Florida Titan wrote:
To cut fat you need to have 5-6 quality meals each day with protein in each meal.[/quote]

I couldn’t agree with this more. If most of the overweight people in the western world changed nothing other than that the obesity epidemic would be a long way toward being solved.