T Nation

Eat More Protein!

For the kids…

After many years of training, detraining, and retraining, I have finally begun to eat an adequate amount of protein. This idea has been promoted on this site and all over so it is nothing new. I eat food so it can be hard for me to consume 400 to 500 grams of protein but I do get between 250 and 350 grams of protein and it makes a big difference in my strength.

I have never regained so much strength so quickly as I have after my most recent layoff. I am lifting really no different than ever but I am eating more protein and I am quick approaching strength pr’s at 40 lbs less body weight. So kids, anyone under the age of 34 who is not feeding themselves enough, start eating your protes!

If I only knew this 15 years ago.

dislcaimer: I am not a scientist, but I can say that it works for me.

Any tips for getting in some of that extra protein?

I’m always looking for tips to get more protein in…
I mainly get mine from chicken, tuna, steak (occasionally, cheese, milk and my protein shakes.

Not too into cottage cheese though that makes me feel sick.

[quote]BruceLeeFan wrote:
Any tips for getting in some of that extra protein?

I’m always looking for tips to get more protein in…
I mainly get mine from chicken, tuna, steak (occasionally, cheese, milk and my protein shakes.

Not too into cottage cheese though that makes me feel sick.[/quote]

I eat 6 to 8 jumbo eggs in the morning and try to eat a bag of boneless skinless chicken throughout the day. For supper I usually eat whatever is for supper + more meat.

I tried to add extra eggs before I went to sleep at night but it really was to much.

I would eat as much food as possible and supplement with the shakes on either end of the day. I have not found a shake that I am not allergic to these days otherwise I would probably drink a lot more of them.

I once thought that a can of tuna was enough protein at one sitting but now two is my minimum. If you can’t eat more often eat larger portions of protein and smaller of carbs per meal if possible depending on what you want to achieve.

I’ll eat a block of cheese every few days if I have it, almost always putting shredded cheese on my eggs.

Often I have to sneak away during the day to quickly devour some protein and then get back to work. The effect it has on strength is well worth it.

I do eat carbs as well. It’s tough for me to get strong over longer periods of time without adequate carb intake. Fruit in the form of apples and oranges seem to give me what I need.

I don’t know it this is helpful or not, just eat more animals.

but they told me it would wreck my heart and kidneys

i prefer TEH WHOLE GRAINZ

teh hole grainz like oatz

My advice: Eat eggs until you vomit them. And then eat some more eggs.

[quote]Alquemist wrote:
My advice: Eat eggs until you vomit them. And then eat some more eggs.[/quote]

I’ve actually done that. I think it is better to eat just enough eggs so you don’t vomit. That way your not eating and vomitting and eating and vomitting.

I know everybody “knows” you have to eat more protein but is everybody doing it? I thought I was, I still think I could eat more.