T Nation

Eat Less, Move More Example for Type 2 Diabetic w/o Meds?

Do you guys know at least one single case of Eat-less-move-more Standard American Diet (50-60% of carbs) success case for a someone with type 2 diabetics without meds (metmorfin included)?

Do you want case studies or something? Why are you asking the question?

1 Like

What’s our definition of success?

1 Like

Confusing question. Success without meds would rely on the quality of the diet and lowest possible glycemic carbs. The standard American diet is part of why diabetes exists.

1 Like

Curiosity and for comparison with low carb / keto cases on the same condition (only diet and without meds)

Type 2 diabetes remission.

I do not refer to reversion. Remission is enough.

So you’re asking if combined calorie control and exercise is as effective as carbohydrate control in the management of Type 2 Diabetes?

What outcome measure(s)?

• Weight loss?
  • Blood pressure?
  • Body composition?
  • Fasting glucose?
  • Glucose tolerance?
  • Mortality?
1 Like

That is exactly the point.
But I am missing my comfortable place (anonymous forum dudes reports) to hear (read) their histories. But someone enter here and confess a failure case is not usual.

Not exactly.

All you listed COMBINED with a 50% plus carb intake.

A “eat less move more” plus an “all dude knowledge regarding macros, TDEE, calorice deficit bodyfat, blah, blah, blah” for a strong insulin resistant pearson.

To be honest, less than you listed. Just bodyfat loss, lipid profile, and HOMA-IR (a combination of insulin and fasted glucose in a formula. Such math must produce numbers below 1.5)

I have no idea what this is supposed to mean.

Body fat or body weight? Most studies won’t report specific body fat loss

My understanding of your question is:

Can restricting caloric intake and increasing physical activity on a high-carbohydrate diet (>55% of caloric intake) have the same effects of a ketogenic diet at reducing body fat, improving blood lipids and HOMA-IR in people with Type-2 Diabetes Mellitus?

Are you looking for examples where medication use is discontinued?

YES

I bought a CGM (Continuous Glucose Monitor) and I am very surprised with the results.

I had 300 mg/dL numbers after cake, and refined carbs lasting more than SIX hours to decrease to acceptable numbers. Only a single cheat meal.

On keto, I’ve stayed UNDER 100 mg/dL. After meals I’ve got 105-110 ‘peaks’.

After debating with my forum collegues about the most popular paradigm (eat less/move more), I’ve decided to test on my own body because I am a type 2 diabetic and I manage my blood glucose only by food.

I’m super confused. Part of the definition of remission would be being off meds, so your problem statement is halfway there. I guess now we’ve just got to get you to a 6.5 A1C. I‘d hazard a guess “eat less, move more” would probably do it depending how far you’re willing to take those two variables.

EDIT: I just read your last post, so I better understand your question. I think it will be more difficult to control T2D on a higher carb diet than lower carb, even if kcal are equated.

1 Like

Think about an absolute freak-number-old-dude.

I’ve applied a 30/30/40% for protein/fat/carb diet. This is less than the standard tell us to eat regarding carbs. Obviously under caloric deficit. Everthing weighted on scale including vegetables. I wanted - so bad - this method could provide me an average daily number below 100 mg/dL of blood sugar. But it didn´t work. I only can get such performance with keto.

I do not know if I was strict with the definition.
I consider reversion the capacity of a pearson to eat healthy a standard diet and produce good homa-ir numbers.
And the remission could be this same pearson eat under some diet restrictions (in my case low carb/keto) and produce good homa-ir numbers, BUT if such pearson return to a standar diet, even a healthy one, his/her numbers will return to be bad ones.

How long have you been T2DM? What’s your BMI, wast:hip and approximate body fat%? How long have you been eating 30:30:40 and how long have you been keto?

diagnosed on 2011.

Began with vidalgliptin + insulin without ANY kind of nutritional advice from doc. Also, doc did not forwarded me for a nutricionist

Reading bodybuilding foruns I discovered Alan Aragons IIFYM, Harris Benedict, light deficit, etc.

I lost bodyweight, as well as I could supress meds on 2013.

2013, 2014, 2015, and… 2016, free from meds, eating and drinking with a progressively level of freedom.

Such ‘freedom levels’ were hugely free.

On 2017 I began to get bad numbers. But the ‘excessive freedom’ continued.

2018, and 2019 I’ve tried to apply the same 2013 technique without success. To be honest, without the tenacity I applied in the past. My strength was lost, age, bodyfat, sadness, etc.

2020 I began keto and the success was so strong that I thought I was healed.
And I’ve tried 30/30/40 again. And, again, the numbers were not sucessfull.

So, I returned to keto but, for curiosity, I’ve came here to check with the more experienced people if someone could win the war with 30/30/40.

During all time: weigth training (bro-series, 5/3/1, etc) with very few cardio (I hate it)

52yo
6’00’’
45’’ waist and decreasing
34%BF and decreasing
37 BMI and decreasing

1 Like

Did you consider your glucose intolerance following keto was from a lack of exposure to glucose? I’m not a doctor, but if you want to experiment with 30/30/40 you’ll probably need to stick with it for a while.

Also, based on my knowledge, one of the strongest factors for T2DM is weight and body composition. Simply reducing your body % will probably yield the results you want, unless there is some other serious pathology

1 Like