Eat Less, Move More Example for Type 2 Diabetic w/o Meds?

Do you guys know at least one single case of Eat-less-move-more Standard American Diet (50-60% of carbs) success case for a someone with type 2 diabetics without meds (metmorfin included)?

Do you want case studies or something? Why are you asking the question?

1 Like

Whatā€™s our definition of success?

1 Like

Confusing question. Success without meds would rely on the quality of the diet and lowest possible glycemic carbs. The standard American diet is part of why diabetes exists.

1 Like

Curiosity and for comparison with low carb / keto cases on the same condition (only diet and without meds)

Type 2 diabetes remission.

I do not refer to reversion. Remission is enough.

So youā€™re asking if combined calorie control and exercise is as effective as carbohydrate control in the management of Type 2 Diabetes?

What outcome measure(s)?

• Weight loss?
  • Blood pressure?
  • Body composition?
  • Fasting glucose?
  • Glucose tolerance?
  • Mortality?
1 Like

That is exactly the point.
But I am missing my comfortable place (anonymous forum dudes reports) to hear (read) their histories. But someone enter here and confess a failure case is not usual.

Not exactly.

All you listed COMBINED with a 50% plus carb intake.

A ā€œeat less move moreā€ plus an ā€œall dude knowledge regarding macros, TDEE, calorice deficit bodyfat, blah, blah, blahā€ for a strong insulin resistant pearson.

To be honest, less than you listed. Just bodyfat loss, lipid profile, and HOMA-IR (a combination of insulin and fasted glucose in a formula. Such math must produce numbers below 1.5)

I have no idea what this is supposed to mean.

Body fat or body weight? Most studies wonā€™t report specific body fat loss

My understanding of your question is:

Can restricting caloric intake and increasing physical activity on a high-carbohydrate diet (>55% of caloric intake) have the same effects of a ketogenic diet at reducing body fat, improving blood lipids and HOMA-IR in people with Type-2 Diabetes Mellitus?

Are you looking for examples where medication use is discontinued?

YES

I bought a CGM (Continuous Glucose Monitor) and I am very surprised with the results.

I had 300 mg/dL numbers after cake, and refined carbs lasting more than SIX hours to decrease to acceptable numbers. Only a single cheat meal.

On keto, Iā€™ve stayed UNDER 100 mg/dL. After meals Iā€™ve got 105-110 ā€˜peaksā€™.

After debating with my forum collegues about the most popular paradigm (eat less/move more), Iā€™ve decided to test on my own body because I am a type 2 diabetic and I manage my blood glucose only by food.

Iā€™m super confused. Part of the definition of remission would be being off meds, so your problem statement is halfway there. I guess now weā€™ve just got to get you to a 6.5 A1C. Iā€˜d hazard a guess ā€œeat less, move moreā€ would probably do it depending how far youā€™re willing to take those two variables.

EDIT: I just read your last post, so I better understand your question. I think it will be more difficult to control T2D on a higher carb diet than lower carb, even if kcal are equated.

1 Like

Think about an absolute freak-number-old-dude.

Iā€™ve applied a 30/30/40% for protein/fat/carb diet. This is less than the standard tell us to eat regarding carbs. Obviously under caloric deficit. Everthing weighted on scale including vegetables. I wanted - so bad - this method could provide me an average daily number below 100 mg/dL of blood sugar. But it didnĀ“t work. I only can get such performance with keto.

I do not know if I was strict with the definition.
I consider reversion the capacity of a pearson to eat healthy a standard diet and produce good homa-ir numbers.
And the remission could be this same pearson eat under some diet restrictions (in my case low carb/keto) and produce good homa-ir numbers, BUT if such pearson return to a standar diet, even a healthy one, his/her numbers will return to be bad ones.

How long have you been T2DM? Whatā€™s your BMI, wast:hip and approximate body fat%? How long have you been eating 30:30:40 and how long have you been keto?

diagnosed on 2011.

Began with vidalgliptin + insulin without ANY kind of nutritional advice from doc. Also, doc did not forwarded me for a nutricionist

Reading bodybuilding foruns I discovered Alan Aragons IIFYM, Harris Benedict, light deficit, etc.

I lost bodyweight, as well as I could supress meds on 2013.

2013, 2014, 2015, andā€¦ 2016, free from meds, eating and drinking with a progressively level of freedom.

Such ā€˜freedom levelsā€™ were hugely free.

On 2017 I began to get bad numbers. But the ā€˜excessive freedomā€™ continued.

2018, and 2019 Iā€™ve tried to apply the same 2013 technique without success. To be honest, without the tenacity I applied in the past. My strength was lost, age, bodyfat, sadness, etc.

2020 I began keto and the success was so strong that I thought I was healed.
And Iā€™ve tried 30/30/40 again. And, again, the numbers were not sucessfull.

So, I returned to keto but, for curiosity, Iā€™ve came here to check with the more experienced people if someone could win the war with 30/30/40.

During all time: weigth training (bro-series, 5/3/1, etc) with very few cardio (I hate it)

52yo
6ā€™00ā€™ā€™
45ā€™ā€™ waist and decreasing
34%BF and decreasing
37 BMI and decreasing

1 Like

Did you consider your glucose intolerance following keto was from a lack of exposure to glucose? Iā€™m not a doctor, but if you want to experiment with 30/30/40 youā€™ll probably need to stick with it for a while.

Also, based on my knowledge, one of the strongest factors for T2DM is weight and body composition. Simply reducing your body % will probably yield the results you want, unless there is some other serious pathology

1 Like

Is your question can you enter remission then return to a move more eat less plan with high carbs? The hormonal imbalance and insulin insensitivity needs to be remediated and can be through fat loss. Can you reduce non-alcoholic fatty liver with keto? Yes. Even after remission, insulinogenic foods will still cause issues, but management through low glycemic foods and less insulinogenic options with timing of exercise can help mitigate blood sugar issues.

All I can say here is I went on a high carb, ( fruits, grains, starches and vegetables) and less meat and my cholesterol, triglycerides, sugar and A1C went upā€¦so much for the recommended diet by the doctorsā€¦i was also weight training 3x/week and running 3x/week

Started back on low carb way of eating