Eat Healthy or Velocity Diet?

So when you said it was NOTHING like a contest prep diet (your emphasis) you meant the difference between this and a contest prep diet is quantities? When my question was aside from quantities, how does this differ from a contest prep diet - you probably get why I was confused.

So my question to you is do you think it is a good idea to give someome with no established habits, who is overweight and probably no history of success a contest prep diet with larger quantities? It’s own creator stuck at it for a few days! This plan will work like a charm but it will be a total bitch.

The last time I ate like I was prepping for a contest was in support of my then room mate in 2011/2012. It worked really well, I had my death mask at the end and it was nowhere near as strict as this.

I could eat any veg (potato types excluded). I coild have tomatoes, I could have non-animal fats including butter, I could have nuts, I could have cheese and I could have avocado. I could also have anything I liked every 2 weeks within reason. I couldn’t have the degree of peri workout that this diet allows though.

This worked really well for me and for some friends who did take the stage.

And the issue with your meal was the oil, not a typo. I hope this makes it clear how a lack of information can make it hard to understand something. I’m still not sure how I was supposed to draw anything about an entire diet from a breakfast.

I didn’t pore over this whole thread since a quick survey showed a couple agitators arguing over some bs…but as to your question, I think the statement that you’ve been “eating healthy” but piling on bodyfat reveals a lot about how fucked up the notion of “good” and “bad” foods are w/r/t health and performance. Food quality is an issue, nutrient density is good, all that’s true, but there is nothing “healthy” about putting on as much fat as you appear to have put on, irrespective of what foods you ate to do it.

Eating habits can be healthy or not healthy. Approaches to nutrition can be. Individual foods really shouldn’t be classified that way except in some rare instances, so I’d focus on changing the way you think about your diet.

If you need to change your body composition, calories and macros are the big rocks, so to speak. Get those right, and food type isn’t that big a deal. Very few foods are actively damaging to your health. Eating nutrient dense food is a good idea, but I’d think of that just as long-term smart practice instead of something that’s going to meaningfully impact your body composition or performance in the short-term.

I also wouldn’t in a million years advise you or anyone to subsist on protein shakes, but if you think it’s the only way you can manage the kind of calorie deficit you need to lose fat, I guess do whatever. In sum, being lean is a lot healthier than being fat (I’ve been both). Getting lean is about amount, not type.

What to eat:

-eat 200g of protein a day from animal sources
-eat carbs all your carbs in the form of either rice or potatoes
-let the fats take care of themselves (eat fatty meat, avocados, cook with olive oil, coconut oil). Don’t worry about adding them to anything if you don’t have to.
-eat veg with every meal. Yes, this includes breakfast

What not to eat:

-bread and the like (pastas and stuff like that)
-any refined oil (vegetable, canola, etc)
-dairy
-processed meats (deli stuff)
-nuts (too high calorie)

BOOM! You have just lost weight without worrying about calories or portion control or anything.

Once you’re in the habit of eating like this you can start thinking about things like calorie restriction, portion control and then on to more advanced things like carb cycling.

At this point, you just have to learn what to eat and what not to eat.

2 Likes