T Nation

'Eat as Much as you Want Free Veg'

when i see BBers talking about how their plan has free veggies , to eat as much as they want of- can they literally eat as much as they want? if they hit their calorie goal for the day during contest prep weeks, would eating a ton of broccoli make a difference or not? is the TEF of broccoli very high, or is it really not free?

No one ever got fat from eating carrots.

there’s no such thing as a calorie free food, however, it is highly impractical to eat much more than 100 or so calories from “free veggies”, hence their name

does broccoli have a high thermic effect? i havent been able to find anything on it, and i eat it in boatloads cuz it tastes damn good steamed…

[quote]tplet wrote:
does broccoli have a high thermic effect? i havent been able to find anything on it, and i eat it in boatloads cuz it tastes damn good steamed…[/quote]

No. You have missed the point.

It has very little calories. At your age (and with your issues) eat some calorie dense foods not broccoli.

[quote]tplet wrote:
does broccoli have a high thermic effect? i havent been able to find anything on it, and i eat it in boatloads cuz it tastes damn good steamed…[/quote]

High TEF or not, it still provides calories and therefore is not “literally” frees.

I repeat: there are NO calorie free foods (coffee/tea/water notwithstanding)

[quote]plateau wrote:
tplet wrote:
does broccoli have a high thermic effect? i havent been able to find anything on it, and i eat it in boatloads cuz it tastes damn good steamed…

No. You have missed the point.

It has very little calories. At your age (and with your issues) eat some calorie dense foods not broccoli.

[/quote]

i have no issues. i want to make sure im eating ENOUGH of clean foods. but i couldnt find the tef of broccoli anywhere

The answer is yes and no. Broccoli does not have a profound tef like that of per say, 8 oz. of chicken breast. However, the dense amount of nutrients found in broccoli are unparalleled by most other foods on the planet. And it’s true, bodybuilders can eat as many veggies as they’d like, or any sort of athlete for that matter.

The reason being, when you eat broccoli, for example say 40 calories worth of it, your body will use almost that many calories in order to digest ALL the nutrients from it. Also, the glycemic load from broccoli or most vegetables for that matter is so insanely low that his virtually zero impact on your blood sugar. So you would never have to worry about putting on fat from eating veggies or going over your caloric limit. I never count cals or carbs from veggies.

thank you