T Nation

Easy Way to Donate $10 to Red Cross Haiti Earthquake Relief

Per announcement by US Health and Human Services Secretary, and confirmed by the following Red Cross press release, you can donate $10 to Haitian earthquake relief by simply sending a text message with the text “Haiti” (no quotes) to the number 90999.

The $10 will appear as a charge on your phone bill.

Press Release:

No group is perfect, but the Rec Cross has a very good record of using funds reasonably with low administrative costs. They are also pretty good about preventing thugs and warlords from stealing aid that they might distribute in country.

Thanks.

i don’t trust the red cross.

Bump fo sho

Your taxes are already providing the LARGEST sum of help to the tune of 100 MILLION. China gave only 2 Million. I hope this is JUST a humanitarian effort, and NOT a rebuilding of everything.

Let’s concentrate here in the US, on our own turf for a change.

Haiti needs a rebuilding of everything.

Not saying the US should bankroll the whole thing, but those people have been subjected to unbelievable hardships for a long period of time. Even before the earthquake, people had been reduced to eating clay mixed with lard.

They are, and have been the poorest country in the Western hemisphere for many years. I hope they can emerge stronger once all the dust has cleared.

The sad thing is it took over 50,000 people to die for this country receive some much needed aid. I bet most american’s didtn even know what Haiti was, let alone could find it on a map before this travesty…

Hopefully some good comes of this and the country rebuilds with some infrastructure that will transition into some sort of self-sustaining economy…

[quote]BMellow wrote:
The sad thing is it took over 50,000 people to die for this country receive some much needed aid. I bet most american’s didtn even know what Haiti was, let alone could find it on a map before this travesty…

Hopefully some good comes of this and the country rebuilds with some infrastructure that will transition into some sort of self-sustaining economy…

[/quote]

You’re a douche bag, seriously? You don’t think America gives Haiti aide, the aide didn’t help it just let corrupt politicians into office. Nice fail.

[quote]BMellow wrote:

[/quote]

And what the fuck does Canada do?? Anyone person who tries at all in a SocialStudies class can map it.

In between all the cock waving, I’d donate if I hadn’t already donated to another organization.

Man some of you guys sound heartless… quit throwing blame etc… doesn’t accomplish anything

[quote]Rockscar wrote:
Your taxes are already providing the LARGEST sum of help to the tune of 100 MILLION. China gave only 2 Million. I hope this is JUST a humanitarian effort, and NOT a rebuilding of everything.

Let’s concentrate here in the US, on our own turf for a change.[/quote]
I totally get what you’re saying but the human suffering there is almost unimaginable. I can’t believe the images on television. But if you’re not feeling it, nobody’s putting a gun to your head, I guess.

Anyway, whatever anyone’s beef is with the Red Cross, it’s still the best organization for distributing aid properly. In the end, all we can do is HOPE the money gets to the neediest and not into the hands of the greediest.

if you can spare 10 bucks without it effecting ur wallet and u choose not too i feel bad for the person that you are.

Haiti is a nation of former (4-5 generations ago?) slaves that freed themselves by rebelling against their French masters. Anyone who knows anything about the history of slaves knows that this means the whole populations at the time was pretty brutalized and totally under-educated.

Did you ever think about what happens when you take a couple of brutalized and under-educated people, and they get together and have kids, and then they raise those kids in a society of people who had been brutalized and under-educated? Yeah… It makes for a very difficult life. And that shit doesn’t get fixed in 4 to 5 generations.

Anyone mocking Haiti for the corruption, or lack of effect previous aid has had, should learn a little history. It changes the perspective from disappointment to appreciation for what some of the people there are able to accomplish.

As far as this earthquake, a whole city bigger than the capital city of most US states, with unreinforced concrete housing because there is no lumber and no one can afford steel, has been shaken to the ground with 50,000 of the 2 million people there (5%) buried. How many people work in your office? 20? If so, consider one of them randomly dead. 15 of them without housing. Dead bodies on every street, starting to rot. All of you standing in the tropical sun without fresh water for days.

100 million is awesome. That’s 33 cents each from we 300 million Americans, and it adds up to about $33 per person who needs help. I’m not trying to make it sound small… That’s a hell of a lot of money, and there are a hell of a lot of other important things to spend it on, so that’s appropriate. But 100 million will barely patch up the hospitals and vital services.

Plus, the fact that an aircraft carrier is being used could account for maybe a $1 million per day while it is in use. This is a paper loss, because if it wasn’t in Haiti, it would be somewhere else costing $1 million per day training, or staring down a Chinese counterpart.

The Red Cross is not perfect. But it is one of the best options. There are others though, like Unicef, Docs without borders, etc. I just put the Red Cross info here because it’s very easy. And lots of people THINK about donating. But thinking is about as helpful as spitting. This makes it easy enough that people (myself included) can get over the “thinking” hurdle and actually do it.

Thanks.

[quote]Rockscar wrote:

Aww… can’t afford a few bucks?

[quote]Makavali wrote:
In between all the cock waving, I’d donate if I hadn’t already donated to another organization.

http://www.mmf.org[/quote]

…fixed?

I find it funny that the same people who are complaining we are using our tax money to help earth quake victims are the same people who didn’t say ANYTHING when the United States was sending money to Haitian Death Squads to rape, torture, and murder innocent men, woman, and children, just so we could push our own greedy agenda.

The only reason we are giving them so much money is so they can get back on their feet so we can keep making money off them. You have no idea how many of that countries problems are directly related from the abuse of the United States. Yet, most Americans have no idea about this and think our government is just giving them money because “we’re nice”

This is where the term “Ignorant American” comes from

You could also donate blood and give back the $10 they give you.

Do they give $10 in the US? I heard that somewhere…in Canada it was just a donut and a Coke.

[quote]Nards wrote:
You could also donate blood and give back the $10 they give you.

Do they give $10 in the US? I heard that somewhere…in Canada it was just a donut and a Coke.[/quote]

I’ve never got paid for donating blood, but I have received some nutter butter cookies and juicy juice. I considered it a fair trade.

[quote]Rockscar wrote:

Did a great job with New Orleans.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]Rockscar wrote:

Aww… can’t afford a few bucks?

[/quote]

Sure, like $37,000.