Easy Strength 40 Day Routine (Dan John program)

Thanks Joe but I a have to say 1430 is 170 lbs below my previous best total of 1600 lbs raw prior to detaching my right biceps tendon. My goal is to get back and pass my previous best in the next year.

Lifting today went well.

Warm Ups:
25 Goblet Squats w/25 lbs kettlebell
100 Swings w/25 lbs kettlebell
5 Snatches w/85 lbs

Front Squats:
2x5x275 lbs

High Incline Bench:
2x5x175 lbs

Fat Gripz Deadlifts:
2x5x175 lbs

400 meter loaded carry w/35 lbs each hand

25 Standing Crunches w/50lbs

Day off did me good. Everything today was easy and fast and I’m looking to improve in poundage again soon.

Worked out this morning because had an engagement to attend with my 2 year old this afternoon. The morning lifting went fast and easy.

Warm Ups:
5 Snatches w/85 lbs

Front Squats:
2x5x275 lbs

High Incline Bench:
2x5x175 lbs

Fat Gripz Deadlift:
2x5x175 lbs

400 meter loaded carry w/35 lbs each hand

25 Standing Crunches w/50 lbs

Nice explosive lifting and fluid movement with little rest between exercises and sets. Monday will be a strong day to increase weights slightly and after the day break move on to upping my capacity.

[quote]gorillavanilla wrote:
I think active recovery from an injury is definitely the way to recover. One must be careful and informed on their active recovery though and be patient with increase in weight as slow as it may be.[/quote]
This is the key.

I’m always interested in following rehab/return to the platform since my body is such a mess.

what fed(s) do you compete in? and weight class? sory if I missed. I am lazy

@kpsnap: Rehab is frustrating but also exhilarating when one makes the smallest progress. I believe in the ability (my ability) to heal and be stronger and I think believing is most likely the most important thing. I could definitely stand to be better at the patience thing though.

@PeteS: I compete in the RAW UNITED federation primarily but I also compete in the APF federation. My competition weight is 220lbs but I train between 210 and 225 lbs. I’ve held several records in both federations in my weight class and age class. Currently I think I am ranked 72nd in the United States in my weight class according to Powerlifting Watch in the 220 Raw category and I am ranked around 30th in the squat nationally. My goal is to make the top 10 in the next year in overall total and squat.

Tropical Storm Isaac brought plenty of rain and wind to our area here but this evening was dry and yet windy so the lifting atmosphere was pleasant in my garage (Not too hot).

Warm Ups:
5 Snatches w/95 lbs

Front Squats:
2x5x280 lbs

High Incline Bench:
2x5x180 lbs

Fat Gripz Deadlift:
2x5x180 lbs

120 meter walk w/86 lbs in each hand (No stops)

Very easy and fast day. Total time with warm ups was about 45 minutes. The weight moved in good form and I increased from the last day so progress is steady and fluid. I’ll keep the weight the same until later this week and then I’ll increase hopefully by the weekend. I’m looking to break some PR’s by the middle of September in my bench at least.

Yesterday’s lifting was brutal. I had a hard exhausting day at work and it was extremely humid and hot. On top of all that the night before I didn’t sleep well because I was getting up to take care of my 2 year old that needed Daddy to fall back asleep or get her milk. Enough bitching so I lifted:

Warm Ups:
25 Goblet Squats w/25lbs kettlebell
5 Snatches w/95 lbs

Front Squats:
1x225; 1x275; 1x315; 1x365; 1x405; 1x425lbs (Felt terrible and I couldn’t seem to find the right place under the bar but I got deep with it)

High Incline Bench:
1x135; 1x155; 1x175; 1x195; 1x215; 1x225lbs (Struggled with the weight and it wasn’t pretty but I finished it)

Fat Gripz Deadlift:
1x135; 1x175; 1x195; 1x205; 1x215; 1x235lbs

400 Meter Loaded Carry w/35lbs in each hand

25 Standing Crunches w/50lbs

Felt like crap but got er’ done. Some days are like that. So I’m looking forward to easy sets of 10 with light weight today and then a day off.

Another wonderful day at work, the heat was at 97 today and I lost about 6 pounds of water while servicing lawns. From yesterday I was a bit worn out and sore and I didn’t feel like doing much after work. So, I rested about 3 hours and then hit it:

Warm Up:
100 Swings w/25lbs kettlebell

Front Squat:
1x10x205 lbs

High Incline Bench:
1x10x135 lbs

Fat Gripz Deadlift:
1x10x135 lbs

100 Meter Loaded Carry w/35 lbs in each hand

An easy day and I’m very thankful. Felt much better all around after finishing lifting. Tomorrow is a day off. Yeah!

Crazy strong front squats Mr GV. Working in 95+ degree heat and having a 2 year old that wakes you up and still hitting the weights hard. Impressive.

@ecogenx-Thanks. What is funny is that on a different thread someone commented that servicing lawns and working in the sun and heat did not count as GPP. When I’m carrying around a 25 lbs backpack blower for 20 minutes or walking around edging and weed eating or hedge trimming with implements that weight about 15 pounds for about 6 hours a day I think I am getting a lot of cardio with resistance. I walk fast too. I think what proves that I am getting good GPP is that I can go run several miles without any problem even though I do not run at all except for the occasional sprint. Just ranting I guess because some smart guy said my work didn’t count.

Good work- how you hold the front squat?

And doing 6 hours of lawns is GPP. I think the “smart” guy was referring to a homeowner doing their lawn 1 hr at most per week, not someone ike you who hustles.

Rule of thumb: If you lose “weight” while doing “cardio/Gpp” your doing it right.

@FISCHER613-I have started using the Westside Front Squat/Zercher Squat harness to hold the bar for front squats. I have wrist injuries that make holding the bar very uncomfortable for heavy front squats. The harness is great for zercher and front squats and it weighs about 22 lbs so there is added resistance. I am looking for a 500 lbs front squat or more by the end of the 40 days Easy Strength routine.

Lifting today had a slow start but once I got warmed up the weights moved fast and the sets went quickly.

Warm Ups:
5 Snatches w/95 lbs

Front Squats:
2x5x295 lbs

High Incline Bench:
2x5x180 lbs

Fat Gripz Deadlift:
2x5x180 lbs

400 meter loaded carry w/35 lbs in each hand

Feeling a little run down to begin with today but at the end of lifting I was energized and feeling strong. I think with a good nights rest and good eating tomorrow’s lifting may be stellar.
I’m planning to begin a full Smolov squat routine beginning on the 17th of next month so the upcoming torment of extreme squatting has been on my mind. I’m getting mentally prepared. I really want the 100 lbs increase in squat weight the Smolov routine is supposed to give upon completion.

Prior to lifting I had a huge Pastrami sandwich at New York Diner and subsequently went in to a food overload coma-like nap for about an hour. So, then I woke up had a huge cup of coffee and some supps which helped me regain good energy and hit the weights. Luckily my 2 year old and wife took a nap as obviously their food coma was not finished.

Warm Ups:
5 Hanging Snatches w/115 lbs
5 Hanging Clean and Jerks w/115 lbs

Front Squats:
5x295 lbs; 3x365 lbs; 2x450 lbs (Felt Strong)

Incline Bench Press:
5x185 lbs; 3x205 lbs; 2x230 lbs

Fat Gripz Deadlifts:
5x135 lbs; 3x185 lbs; 2x225 lbs (Grip not so strong today)

400 Meter Loaded Carry w/35 lbs each hand

Had really good energy today after my recovery from the coma-like food induced state of delirium I was in. The weight move well except for my grip on the fat gripz deadlifts but my grip goes in and out. One day the grip is like iron the next day not so much. Have 2 more weeks of this Easy Strength routine and I like it for deloading and recovery after contest training.

[quote]gorillavanilla wrote:
@ecogenx-Thanks. What is funny is that on a different thread someone commented that servicing lawns and working in the sun and heat did not count as GPP. When I’m carrying around a 25 lbs backpack blower for 20 minutes or walking around edging and weed eating or hedge trimming with implements that weight about 15 pounds for about 6 hours a day I think I am getting a lot of cardio with resistance. I walk fast too. I think what proves that I am getting good GPP is that I can go run several miles without any problem even though I do not run at all except for the occasional sprint. Just ranting I guess because some smart guy said my work didn’t count.[/quote]

People are dumb. That counts as GPP++. I couldn’t work like that and hit the weights like you do.

@ecogenx-Thanks. I think the person who made the comment may have not been paying attention to what was written or was just young and ignorant. For some reason the negative comment just irked me.

Saw your post in the Olympic Lifting forum.

You have a LOT of strength, but the trick is developing control in the positions. You might check out this program:

www.pendlay.com/A-Training-System-for-Beginning-Olympic-Weightlifters_df_90.html

and watch the MDUSA livestream from time to time as pendlay trains his lifters.

Smolov rocks, you’ll do great. Just plan on extra food and sleep if you can get it. With a physically demanding job you will really need to plan on finding extra time to sleep and alert your family you might not be in the mood for small talk. The base phase really is challenging, but its only 18 days, so its doable.

Great work in here.

@DACharmingAlbino-Thanks for the references. I’ll be checking those sites out. I’m planning to use the Easy Strength idea of small progressions with very doable weights and constant progression.

@jjackkrash-I’ve done the Smolov before and I know it’s very demanding. I think you’re right about eating more food and getting more rest.