T Nation

Easy College Degree?

I have been in college for some time now. I was studying nutrition, but by junior year it turned into nursing classes, chemistry, and starving 3rd world countries. Three of the things that i don’t give a shit about.

I am fed up with writing scientific APA formatted papers based on clinical trials. I am sick of studying my ass off to figure out how much a mole of whatever element weighs. I will shoot myself in the fucking head if i have to crack open one more chemistry book. I can’t tell the difference between one bacteria and a fungi under a microscope. I need a change of pace.

Essentially i am 40 units off graduating and have got to a sticking point. I have 2 courses that are rediculous. Microbiology is brain boggling. And one nutrition course that is only offered by 1 teacher that is seriously the devil incarnate. She failed 10% of her class last semester. I just can’t pass them no matter what i do. I give up.

I have a FT job that pays the bills and a decent amount in the bank every month. So my funds are limitless as far as switching majors and time to get a degree is concerned.

What i want to know is, what is the easiest college BA/BS degree to get? Is it communications? History?

Bonus points for no science, math, or papers over 10 pages.

Recreation?

What did you want to do with your Nutrition degree in the first place? Would be easier to suggest an easy major.

I was under the impression that either a business or psych degree were the ones you major in when you feel like doing not much of anything regarding work.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
I was under the impression that either a business or psych degree were the ones you major in when you feel like doing not much of anything regarding work.[/quote]

You obviously have never tried to get those degrees have you?

Just drop out. It will be better for the nations entire University system.

Soooo you’re going to college to get the easiest degree possible?

Or is it when things get hard you give up?

To answer your question I would say PRTM if your college has it or food science.

By the way failing only 10% of the class is pretty low for college. If it were a true weed out course it would be more like 40%.

Sounds like that 10% thought college was only about drinking and getting laid to me.

[quote]BF Bullpup wrote:
What did you want to do with your Nutrition degree in the first place? Would be easier to suggest an easy major.[/quote]

Originally I intended on getting registered as a dietician and maybe doing some hospital or private practice work. But then I quickly realized that nobody is willing to pay out of pocket for a dietician. And insurance only covers so many things related to diet. I really don’t want to be stuck talkign about diabettes 24/7.

I started toying with the idea of nutrition education as a college instructor or working for a school or community center.

The thing about the field of nutrition is that your degree is worthless if you aren’t registered as a dietician. To become registered you need to first get your BS, then jump through all sorts of hoops in an internship program that is like 6 months of unpaid slavery. Rotations of hospital work, food service, and clinical. Plus you have to be enrolled in the masters program. There are too many hoops and I am fed up.

I really don’t think even if i stuck it out that i would end up practicing in the field anymore. Its not anything near what i expected.

Anyways, I came to the conclusion that not a lot of people end up working in their fields anyways. I just need that piece of paper. The quickest way possible.

[quote]CrewPierce wrote:

To answer your question I would say PRTM if your college has it or food science.

By the way failing only 10% of the class is pretty low for college. If it were a true weed out course it would be more like 40%.

Sounds like that 10% thought college was only about drinking and getting laid to me.[/quote]

I completely understand what education is about. It is about learning something. Expand your mind, etc.

In real life, anything you want to know can be looked up. College on the other hand is complete bullshit. You are tested on what kind of information you can recall off hand. Which is not how life works 90% of the time.

And you have me pegged wrong. For the last few years i have been working 8-12hour days and going to class after, then to the gym. I might be up for 16hours a day or more. I have to cram my essays and assignments in while working and hope to god nobody finds out.

I just don’t want to study science anymore. And I do not hold a passion for any subject in particular.

Communications, hands down. Don’t expect a shitty degree to get you a better job, though.

Edit - Any sociology degree, really.

[quote]Chickenmcnug wrote:
CrewPierce wrote:

Sounds like that 10% thought college was only about drinking and getting laid to me.

I completely understand what education is about. It is about learning something. Expand your mind, etc.

In real life, anything you want to know can be looked up. College on the other hand is complete bullshit. You are tested on what kind of information you can recall off hand. Which is not how life works 90% of the time.

And you have me pegged wrong. For the last few years i have been working 8-12hour days and going to class after, then to the gym. I might be up for 16hours a day or more. I have to cram my essays and assignments in while working and hope to god nobody finds out.

I just don’t want to study science anymore. And I do not hold a passion for any subject in particular.[/quote]

Hmm ok well I may have been quick to judge but you gotta admit your question kinda leads a person down that road of thinking.

I can understand your situation my dad had to work the grave yard shift at the police station to put himself through school at Ohio State. He would work from 11pm to 7am and then go to class at 8am.

I would suggest sticking with a degree you know you’ll want to work in. Otherwise you’ll have a college degree but still working at a coffee shop or what have you.

You worked this hard already, why throw it away on a useless degree or on a field you’ll hate to work in?

CrewPierce has some good points. Don’t just pick any old degree, pick one that will springboard you into the career that you want. Additionally, pick one that will let you go to Graduate School. Graduate school is where it’s at, so I’ve heard.

You know what annoys me? In a couple of my classes, there are people who act like they are so smart, and this material is so beneath them. Like, roll their heads back during lecture, or pretend like they are asleep, or chit chat with their friends or whatever.

It’s like they want everyone else in class to know how super-smart they are, and how the material is SO easy for them, that they don’t even need to pay attention.

But then, why even go to class? I mean if you are so smart, and already have the material down, why even show up? The professors don’t take attendance, so why waste your time in class if it such an annoyance? You could be at home sleeping, or staring at yourself in the mirror, or writing a journal about how hard it is being the only smart person living in a world full of brain dead morons.

?

[quote]skaz05 wrote:
You know what annoys me? In a couple of my classes, there are people who act like they are so smart, and this material is so beneath them. Like, roll their heads back during lecture, or pretend like they are asleep, or chit chat with their friends or whatever.

It’s like they want everyone else in class to know how super-smart they are, and how the material is SO easy for them, that they don’t even need to pay attention.

But then, why even go to class? I mean if you are so smart, and already have the material down, why even show up? The professors don’t take attendance, so why waste your time in class if it such an annoyance? You could be at home sleeping, or staring at yourself in the mirror, or writing a journal about how hard it is being the only smart person living in a world full of brain dead morons.

?[/quote]

I tried that, but my journal is an idiot.

Yea - I’m going for my nutrition degree right now. Chemistry’s tough, and I prefer the bio courses, but I’m doing well - just gotta study my ass off.

And yes, after my BS, it’s a year of clinical internship and then taking the ADA boards to become an RD, but here in NY, you can get a 6 figure job working for a hospital, hotel chain, or other corporate outfits. And I see plenty of call for private consultations in this area…

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
rrjc5488 wrote:
I was under the impression that either a business or psych degree were the ones you major in when you feel like doing not much of anything regarding work.

[/quote]

Obviously not.

I was a psych major before I left. Apparently they dont teach you anything about sarcasm at Clemson.

[quote]Chickenmcnug wrote:
I have been in college for some time now. I was studying nutrition, but by junior year it turned into nursing classes, chemistry, and starving 3rd world countries. Three of the things that i don’t give a shit about.
[/quote]

Yeah fuck those starving kids.

[quote]JRT6 wrote:
Chickenmcnug wrote:

Yeah fuck those starving kids. [/quote]

Meh, it’s not like this guy is positioned to make a huge difference, anyway.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
Communications, hands down. Don’t expect a shitty degree to get you a better job, though.

Edit - Any sociology degree, really. [/quote]

Specifically a Criminal Justice Degree, easy as hell, but as far as job placement the field is small, the work sucks most of the time and the pay is usually .5% above the poverty line, I had some Police jobs that started at the same wage as I was making delivering Pizzas in college plus no tips!
Personally I cant see myself doing anything else the rest of my life, guess I’m a glutton for punishment.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
Stronghold wrote:
rrjc5488 wrote:

Obviously not.

I was a psych major before I left. Apparently they dont teach you anything about sarcasm at Clemson.[/quote]

Nahh, I spend all my time doing supply chain management lately.

Sarcasm would be a good degree to get. Then you could do very well on teh intarwebz.