Eastern USA SHW Champ Max Charles = WTF?

Here is someone whose claims fly in the face of conventional bodybuilding nutrition…watch the entire series and let’s hear your thoughts.

http://mdtv.musculardevelopment.com/content/view/1879/204/

Edit: He’s the Super Heavy weight champ, not Heavy weight.

that dude is wicked!

[quote]Qaash wrote:
Here is someone whose claims fly in the face of conventional bodybuilding nutrition…watch the entire series and let’s hear your thoughts.

Edit: He’s the Super Heavy weight champ, not Heavy weight.[/quote]

I used to train with a guy like that. Whereas I seem to grow easily as long as a lot of food is there, he could grow by barely eating much during the day as long as he trained heavy. His body simply retained muscle easily. As a result, once someone like that begins eating a lot more, they can put on another 50lbs. That is one more reason to get as big as you can naturally.

However, one issue has me questioning his food intake is the fact that eating chicken breasts wasn’t enough for him to lose weight on for his “contest prep” because he was feeling weak but he only eats once a day to get to 300lbs. It means he does have a fast metabolism. His body just holds onto muscle where most people would drop it if they ate the same. Genetics.

Just from training with a guy like that, even though he may eat very little most days, every few days he can put down more food than 2 or 3 people in one sitting.

Bottom line, train for your own genetics. Guys like this train with more dedication than most and their bodies simply need a different stimulus to keep that weight on.

One thing to notice above all else is how heavy he trains. His body would need to hold onto more muscle if he is constantly putting it through all of that when he trains. He also only train one body part a day.

I know those 3hr plus workouts are ridiculous and I really don’t see how someone who works three jobs and goes to school has the time for that…unless one of his jobs is as a personal trainer at that gym.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Qaash wrote:

Edit: He’s the Super Heavy weight champ, not Heavy weight.

I used to train with a guy like that. Whereas I seem to grow easily as long as a lot of food is there, he could grow by barely eating much during the day as long as he trained heavy. His body simply retained muscle easily. As a result, once someone like that begins eating a lot more, they can put on another 50lbs. That is one more reason to get as big as you can naturally.

However, one issue has me questioning his food intake is the fact that eating chicken breasts wasn’t enough for him to lose weight on for his “contest prep” because he was feeling weak but he only eats once a day to get to 300lbs. It means he does have a fast metabolism. His body just holds onto muscle where most people would drop it if they ate the same. Genetics.

Just from training with a guy like that, even though he may eat very little most days, every few days he can put down more food than 2 or 3 people in one sitting.

Bottom line, train for your own genetics. Guys like this train with more dedication than most and their bodies simply need a different stimulus to keep that weight on.

One thing to notice above all else is how heavy he trains. His body would need to hold onto more muscle if he is constantly putting it through all of that when he trains. He also only train one body part a day.[/quote]

As an aside, it was later discovered that he drinks a shit load of coca cola all day, so he actually runs on sugar more than anything else.

[quote]Qaash wrote:

As an aside, it was later discovered that he drinks a shit load of coca cola all day, so he actually runs on sugar more than anything else.[/quote]

LOL. The guy I used to train with was the same. He would eat a whole bag of cookies as his one meal and then drink 4 muscle milk shakes as his entire daily intake.

That is another thing to consider. A lot of guys don’t count protein shakes as meals. You will very often grill someone further only to find that they may only eat once a day…but they are downing 300gr of protein in liquid form along with it and not even counting it.

I am a fan of protein shakes.

i watched that yesterday. he changes his story a bit as he speaks. palumbo says he eats 3 meals a day, then max says he’s lucky to eat one meal, then he says he eats one normal meal, then its one meal seperated throughout the day. only rice and beans…then admits some chicken as well.

even if we take him at face value, what is the quantity of that one meal? if its 5 pounds of rice and beans, thats a significant amount of food. but he never says. 350 pound preachers? legpresses with a fully loaded sled, and guys sitting on it (with those legs)? i suppose many guys make outrageous claims, maybe to set themselves apart. in the end i dont believe it helps them at all, once the initial publicity dies down people write them off as a liar.

cant deny he has a great physique (especially upperbody).

[quote]hypnotoad wrote:
i watched that yesterday. he changes his story a bit as he speaks. palumbo says he eats 3 meals a day, then max says he’s lucky to eat one meal, then he says he eats one normal meal, then its one meal seperated throughout the day. only rice and beans…then admits some chicken as well.

even if we take him at face value, what is the quantity of that one meal? if its 5 pounds of rice and beans, thats a significant amount of food. but he never says. 350 pound preachers? legpresses with a fully loaded sled, and guys sitting on it (with those legs)? i suppose many guys make outrageous claims, maybe to set themselves apart. in the end i dont believe it helps them at all, once the initial publicity dies down people write them off as a liar.

[/quote]

I believe the leg presses because I’m pretty strong on those as well. That is all genetics. I would have to see a 350lbs preacher curl though with my own eyes to believe that one.

I also agree that his food intake is questionable. Someone who only needed one small meal a day would be able to diet just fine on chicken breasts…something he was not able to do.

Again, he more than likely isn’t counting protein shakes and I have a feeling he eats way more than that but doesn’t think about it much.

If you ask the average person on the street how much they eat, it is almost ALWAYS less than what they actually consumed. I am sure it is the same way here. 300lbs of muscle doesn’t come out of thin air.

[quote]hypnotoad wrote:

[/quote]

I don’t know about the 350 curl but his range of motion on all the exercises were less than what is considered optimal and at that point is where I think genetics come into play. He grows in spite of himself.

That interview was pretty awesome, can’t believe that was his first show, someone get that dude a nutritionist so he can just go straight on to being a force at the O.

Qaash wrote:

As an aside, it was later discovered that he drinks a shit load of coca cola all day, so he actually runs on sugar more than anything else.

LOL. The guy I used to train with was the same. He would eat a whole bag of cookies as his one meal and then drink 4 muscle milk shakes as his entire daily intake.

That is another thing to consider. A lot of guys don’t count protein shakes as meals. You will very often grill someone further only to find that they may only eat once a day…but they are downing 300gr of protein in liquid form along with it and not even counting it.

I am a fan of protein shakes.[/quote]

i thought he said he didnt use shakes? palumbo makes the joke if he gave him a tub of whey he’d come in at 350 for his next show.

[quote]Qaash wrote:
hypnotoad wrote:

I don’t know about the 350 curl but his range of motion on all the exercises were less than what is considered optimal and at that point is where I think genetics come into play. He grows in spite of himself.[/quote]

Full ROM is overrated. But I agree with you.

[quote]hypnotoad wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Qaash wrote:

I am a fan of protein shakes.

i thought he said he didnt use shakes? palumbo makes the joke if he gave him a tub of whey he’d come in at 350 for his next show.

[/quote]

That doesn’t mean he doesn’t drink them. He didn’t respond to that comment. Basic physics. You can’t gain more mass without taking in more mass. It is more likely he simply doesn’t count some of his intake than it is that he only eats beans and rice and weighs 300lbs because of it.

hypnotoad wrote:

I believe the leg presses because I’m pretty strong on those as well. That is all genetics. I would have to see a 350lbs preacher curl though with my own eyes to believe that one.

I also agree that his food intake is questionable. Someone who only needed one small meal a day would be able to diet just fine on chicken breasts…something he was not able to do.

Again, he more than likely isn’t counting protein shakes and I have a feeling he eats way more than that but doesn’t think about it much.

If you ask the average person on the street how much they eat, it is almost ALWAYS less than what they actually consumed. I am sure it is the same way here. 300lbs of muscle doesn’t come out of thin air.

[/quote]

i agree with that completely. just like how many obese people claim to eat ‘like everyone else’, then they admit its the same food, just twice as much. or they ‘forget’ the box of cookies before bed everynight. and almost no one counts the calories in what they drink.

this reminds me of an episode of that fight show ‘last man standing’, this group goes to train in senegal. the locals train pretty much all day, and eat just one meal. however, that meal is huge and calorie dense - platters of rice, fatty meats, etc.

I don’t know about the 350 curl but his range of motion on all the exercises were less than what is considered optimal and at that point is where I think genetics come into play. He grows in spite of himself.

Full ROM is overrated. But I agree with you.[/quote]

I also agree about the food intake…he may not have a bodybuilders diet regimen but he has to eat more than he says. At least three a day.

I was hoping somebody else watched this as well.

I was watching yesterday trying to decide if he was lying his ass off or serious lol.

I was impressed when he said he preacher curled 350lbs!!!

I’d really like to watch this guy train in the off season with some of the weights he mentioned.

495 bench for 12 reps.

Dood is an animal, after looking at his pics I fully believe him. He said this was his first show and it shows in his posing.

Awesome physique tho…probably a soon to be pro any minute now lol

I really wish the pros could talk about drug use. I’m always curious of that. Some people respond to different AAS better than others. I read an interview with one of Kevin Levrone’s lifting partners and he basically said that levrone responded so well to certain drugs that, his God-given genetics + that, was the reason why he was actually gaining weight coming into the contest…also why he’d walk around at 215-220 in the off season and compete at 240-250.

Drugs don’t make a killer physique but they damn sure help…it would just be very interesting to know that side of the sport as well imo.

Only reason I brought that up is because he actually mentioned people questioning his drug use so thats a first compared to some company ads where they just spout of supplements. lol

DG

[quote]Dirty Gerdy wrote:

I was watching yesterday trying to decide if he was lying his ass off or serious lol.
DG[/quote]

I don’t think he is lying at all. I just think he isn’t used to thinking like a “bodybuilder”. He just likes lifting weights and eats when he’s hungry. I am betting if you asked him a year or two from now what he eats after being around that aspect of the sport, you would get a different response.

Guys with crazy genetics aren’t used to counting calories. They grow by simply making sure they aren’t hungry. If you ask one how much that is, they won’t be able to tell you. They simply don’t think about it.

Considering his workload, that doesn’t make him stupid. It makes him someone who is used to simply doing what it takes instead of mapping out every detail on a graph like some on this website do.

That was probably the first time anyone even interviewed him so he wasn’t ready to answer in detail.

Dirty Gerdy wrote:

DG

I don’t think he is lying at all. I just think he isn’t used to thinking like a “bodybuilder”. He just likes lifting weights and eats when he’s hungry. I am betting if you asked him a year or two from now what he eats after being around that aspect of the sport, you would get a different response.

Guys with crazy genetics aren’t used to counting calories. They grow by simply making sure they aren’t hungry. If you ask one how much that is, they won’t be able to tell you. They simply don’t think about it.

Considering his workload, that doesn’t make him stupid. It makes him someone who is used to simply doing what it takes instead of mapping out every detail on a graph like some on this website do.

That was probably the first time anyone even interviewed him so he wasn’t ready to answer in detail.[/quote]

It was his first everything and I brought up what you said on the other forum as well…people had to talk him into it, he hadn’t planned on competing in bodybuilding at all. It was on a whim and that seemed to really offend a lot of people.

<<< 300lbs of muscle doesn’t come out of thin air.
[/quote]

Genetics are one thing, but there are physiological laws after all and this falls in there somewhere. It is not possible to build more muscle (or anything for that matter) on less raw material than there is available. This isn’t magic. Pulling gains out of thin air. Even if you were cannibalizing other tissue, if that’s even possible in the case of anabolism, overall weight could not increase without sufficient exogenous stock.

EDIT: I just now saw that ProfessorX said essentially this above.

[quote]Qaash wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Dirty Gerdy wrote:

DG

That was probably the first time anyone even interviewed him so he wasn’t ready to answer in detail.

It was his first everything and I brought up what you said on the other forum as well…people had to talk him into it, he hadn’t planned on competing in bodybuilding at all. It was on a whim and that seemed to really offend a lot of people.[/quote]

People get offended any time someone comes in and blows their progress out of the water. Look at how certain people act on this forum.

Either way, I think this guy is simply one of those dudes with awesome potential but who simply never competed before or even took it that seriously until other people talked him into it.

That is actually the best position to be in rather than someone who competes constantly but clearly has another 40lbs to gain before they actually do any damage.

Yes, he more than likely does eat a hell of a lot more than he stated. That doesn’t make him a liar. It makes him a big dude who never thought about it until Polumbo cornered him.