Easing into Front Squats

As the title says, what’s the best way to do this? For me anything over 225 is too much for my upper body even though my legs can handle it. I train similar to DC, so i’m a one set guy. What i’m planning to do is start with 185 for 5 reps. Next week i do 195 for 5, the week after i do 205 for 5 and so on. Should this work? Hopefully my upper body should get used to front squatting after a few weeks (it can’t be that weak haha).

Also, should front squats be trained with mostly low reps? Doing more than 5 reps feels counter productive with this exercise as my upper back and lungs give out before my legs do. I’m thinking 1-5 reps is the sweet spot for this lift.

Sounds fine to me. I usually do 2-5 per set and leave allot in the tank while not resting too long between sets. Sort of like density training I guess.

I just started doing them and they have humbled me. Started at 135 and just ramped up to a set of 175 for 7 reps my third time out. For me, the grip is the hardest thing. I hadn’t thought of doing them for heavy weight as I always saw them as a higher rep exercise for quad growth.

Ask yourself why you want to do them. I think the value of FS as an assistance exercise for PLing is in hitting the abs/lower back/upper back hard, not the legs. Hence, great upright form + higher reps are very useful.

I prefer multiple sets on front squats especially if they are new for you. Reps I keep 5 or under except last set sometimes.

[quote]sufiandy wrote:
I prefer multiple sets on front squats especially if they are new for you. Reps I keep 5 or under except last set sometimes.[/quote]

Yea, I sometimes work up to a rep PR which may be more than 5 reps. Most weeks I’ll include a back off set with around 8-10 reps as well.

Great addition to back squats in my opinion. I normally do a couple of sets of 5 as a sort of back-off after working up to a heavy set of 5 back squats.

Great advice so far, thanks everyone. And my goals are more bodybuilding oriented; i just asked my question here cuz squats=powerlifting haha.