T Nation

EAS and Soy Protein

First, I have read just about all the soy articles T-Nation has on this site. I got the meat of the situation. Now this is the situation-

The local Hawai’i chain of Costco has been my supplier of protein powder for at least 2 years. I’ve been using their vanilla Pro-Rated protein powder with whey and casein. Very good stuff and each 1 scoop serving packed a decent 27g of protein for a price of $25 for a 6lb supply. It came in handy when trying something similar to Mr Shugart’s Velocity Diet (I did not purchase all the required supplements from Biotest, so hence it being similar to the v-diet). Well in early December all 3 Costco on the island of O’ahu ran out of protein powder. Well they just got their stock refilled.

Costco replaced Pro-Rated protein powder with EAS Premium Protein. Claims to have better and more absorption than all other brands of protein. Now the kicker is that it contains 3 kinds of protein- whey, casein, and soy. Yes, that right- SOY! The bar-graph claim is that the whey gets absorbed fast, soy being the next to be absorbed, and the casein being the last or slower to be absorbed. Somehow they fit soy into this cocktail as being optimum for muscle building. Same price as Pro-Rated, $25, for the same size of 6lbs, but a serving size of 2 scoops for less than 27g of protein per serving.

Conclusion from T-Nation education and inspired to other sites = poor quality replacement by Costco.

My question is about EAS using soy in their protein powder…Is it worth the purchase? I thought EAS had at least half a brain.

I’ve just been so used to going to Costco based on cost and value, this totally turned my shopping travel upside down looking for a better protein for my budget. lol.

Thank you.

EAS is also now owned by Pfizer so I cannot talk on quality.

I also have used the pro-rated protein for years as a cheap protein source. I was also upset that they swapped the pro-rated for EAS brand.

The thing, after TC left EAS and MM2k the whole company went to shit and Bill Phillips sold out after that.

Basically EAS is now a shitty brand and the quality of their products has went down as well. One of the effects of becoming very mainstream.

As you know, I would stay away from soy. You will have to find a cheap protein source elsewhere.

I forgot to add a tip…

If you go to proteinfactory.com and trueprotein.com you can buy protein powders in bulk, both pretty cheap and you can actually pick, miz, and custom design your own blend of proteins you want. Pretty cool.

[quote]greekdawg wrote:
I forgot to add a tip…

If you go to proteinfactory.com and trueprotein.com you can buy protein powders in bulk, both pretty cheap and you can actually pick, miz, and custom design your own blend of proteins you want. Pretty cool.[/quote]

You can also go to the Salvation Army outlet and probably pick up some old shoes for a couple of bucks. They’re crappy, old, and used, but who cares?

Burn in heck, guys, burn in heck. (I’m saying “heck” cuz’ it’s Christmas.)

[quote]greekdawg wrote:
I also have used the pro-rated protein for years as a cheap protein source. I was also upset that they swapped the pro-rated for EAS brand.

The thing, after TC left EAS and MM2k the whole company went to shit and Bill Phillips sold out after that.

Basically EAS is now a shitty brand and the quality of their products has went down as well. One of the effects of becoming very mainstream.

As you know, I would stay away from soy. You will have to find a cheap protein source elsewhere.

[/quote]

You really think that EAS has become a shitty brand just because Bill Phillips sold it? We are talking about one of the largest companies in the industry here. Yes they make soy products, and soy stink. But besides from that I think they have a quality line to offer.

Soy is BIG $$$$$$$

Number one the huge soy board has the mainstream thinking its the next best thing since sliced bread,

#2 its cheap as hell for the company so including it saves overhead and boost profit.

Phill

[quote]TC wrote:
greekdawg wrote:
I forgot to add a tip…

If you go to proteinfactory.com and trueprotein.com you can buy protein powders in bulk, both pretty cheap and you can actually pick, miz, and custom design your own blend of proteins you want. Pretty cool.

You can also go to the Salvation Army outlet and probably pick up some old shoes for a couple of bucks. They’re crappy, old, and used, but who cares?

Burn in heck, guys, burn in heck. (I’m saying “heck” cuz’ it’s Christmas.)

[/quote]

Do you doubt the integrity of those websites??

[quote]greekdawg wrote:
I forgot to add a tip…

If you go to proteinfactory.com and trueprotein.com you can buy protein powders in bulk, both pretty cheap and you can actually pick, miz, and custom design your own blend of proteins you want. Pretty cool.[/quote]

This kind of thing sticks in mycraw a bit,no offense to the poster, it’s a personal thing. Here’s why.

I don’t change my own oil. Why not? Well, I can have it done, and a lot more besides, for less than I can make by working while they do it. Also, I don’t have to get dirty, buy the supplies, and so on.

Same with the powder. You have to buy it, have it shipped, mix it up, put the mix in containers, etc. OK - but will you really save anything? You spent time doing all those things. You paid shippping. You bought the containers. And does ANYONE reading this think it will taste as good as Biotest Orange Cream?

My point is that your time and effort are worth money. And of course, as always - you get what you pay for.